1/48 Revell HH-53C Jolly Green Giant

Hey fellow plastic mashers,

I recently finished Revell's 1/48 CH-34D. It was only my third helo, and I thought I'd build another one. I've been in the mood to build something big, so I pulled Revell's Jolly Green Giant out of the stash. 

sPzI0Cj.jpg

I started with building the engine assemblies. The kit's fit isn't bad, but the parts do have a lot of flash. I only used a little bit of Mr. Surfacer on one of the nacelles.

i9zrGwJ.jpg

When dry-fitted to the fuselage, it seems that the assemblies will go together pretty well.

6dDTNcE.jpg

HdHGKfr.jpg

zblYWvp.jpg

XNFOJ0v.jpg

I'm planning on building the kit OOB, but I couldn't help adding some tape seatbelts to the very visible cockpit. 

ODiklWL.jpg

xFtGVn6.jpg

That's pretty much all I have so far. I'm getting ready to close up the fuselage. Once I do, I'll post some more pictures. 

Comments, questions, and criticisms are welcome.

Thanks for looking!

-O

Try to polish up some of those sanding marks with finer grades of sandpaper and sanding sticks as you can easily bring it back to the same smooth finish as the plastic. Probably not quite as important on the  heli finish but those marks will look horrible under a natural metal finish if you ever have to do one...looks good otherwise

Looks great! Dito on the sanding marks. I have one that took me 5 years to finish...LOL!.....among 10 other projects. I'll post pics sometime. Really....not a bad model at all. LOVE Revell stuff....

• 9 months later...

WHOA! I can't believe it's been 9 months since I fondled this plastic! Well, I'm back with some progress to share. Another project that I was working on hit an unexpected roadblock, so I figured I'd get back to this beast...

First, thanks for the feedback on the sanding. It looked a lot worse than it really was. You'll see in the pictures that it wasn't that bad. 

When I last posted, the fuselage halves were just about to go together. I got the fuselage and sponsons pieces glued together. Unfortunately, the fit wasn't perfect. I had to use some Mr. Surfacer to smooth things out. Then, when sanding to get a flush finish, I lost some of the raised surface detail. I tried to use some tape to protect some of the raised detail on the sponsons. Some creative masking and thick layers of Mr. Surfacer replaced some of the lost detail on the top of the fuselage.

4TU9fkb.jpg

O29nr7F.jpg

20NjvV2.jpg

After the fuselage went together, I attached and masked the clear parts.

lGPzp67.jpg

I was also able to start on the painting. This is a simple kit and I'm doing it OOB, but I really wanted to focus on my painting skills. I wanted to try to replicate a patchy, worn paint job. The camo was free-handed. I hope it looks alright. Let me know if the demarcation lines should be "tighter" or if it looks OK as is. In the following pictures, everything is just dry-fitted together.

flvfrEH.jpg

qTaZcUj.jpg

wIDgAAu.jpg

pqeY8Qk.jpg

zwLbJ0Y.jpg

VN9GOpx.jpg

With most of the big pieces ready to go together, I started looking at some of the smaller stuff. One assembly I needed to tackle was the recue winch. The instructions were really vague about its attachment point, and the whole assembly was super-fiddly with just butt-joints to hold it all together.

TMGMbVL.jpg

So, I decided, I'd just eliminate the kit attachment parts and use some wire. 

sUFyC9T.jpg

Two simple holes in the winch with corresponding holes in the fuselage give me a much stronger bond.

C7Aw2Uo.jpg

When the engine assembly's in place, you don't even notice the difference. Once everything is assembled and painted, things will look just fine.

zAE1wc8.jpg

7IuT99X.jpg

Anyway, that's where things stand now. Thanks for stopping by to take a look. Feel free to share your comments, criticisms, and questions. 

Cheers,

-O

Edited by oortiz10

I like your paint work - honestly I'd throw a light coat on top of your work as it stands just to tighten it all up. Use some dry-brushing on the raised rivets and a slightly darker wash to pull it all together at the end. Looking forward to your next post!

Since you asked...: I´d say the demarcation lines are a bit too soft and give a "blurry" impression, I think it should show a little bit more contrast between the different color fields. But that´s a very personal view.

HAJO

• 2 weeks later...

OK gang, I got a little more done on my Jolly Green. Not a lot, but every little bit of progress counts, right? 

Hajo mentioned that the demarcation lines between my camo colors were a little "blurry." I didn't think so at first, but the more I looked at it, the more I thought he was right. I looked at a bunch of pictures online and saw that the borders between the colors were pretty sharp. So, I went back and tightened up my lines. It's not terribly noticeable, but I think it looks better. Besides that, I started decaling too. The engines were mounted because I still need to go back and clean up some paint, and I'm going to touch up the engine to fuselage joint. 

3T5m7yd.jpg

XGTZU1w.jpg

45bN4CW.jpg

0QFPDEs.jpg

Still quite a bit to do, but I'm happy with my progress. As usual, comments, questions, and criticisms are welcome.

Thanks for looking!

-O