Question about AIM-120 training version

I'm still working on a model of an F-15C flying with the Massachusetts ANG. Photos from Ken Middleton's great collection show the planes carrying training versions of AIM-120s with no fins. Is it reasonable to assume that these missiles simply don't have the aft rocket segment attached? The time period is around 2010.

Thanks!

28 minutes ago, gb_madcat_sl said:

I remember reading somewhere that captive AMRAAMs have a “blunter” nose cone compared to the live ones. 

Mark

I think that's correct -- the Brassin set has different nose cones for captive and live missiles.

BillS: Thanks for the clarification.

13 hours ago, gb_madcat_sl said:

I remember reading somewhere that captive AMRAAMs have a “blunter” nose cone compared to the live ones. 

Mark

That used to be the case, but not anymore.  You can even find a blunt nose on a live missile.

Edited by jmel
57 minutes ago, jmel said:

That used to be the case, but not anymore.  You can even find a blunt nose on a live missile.

Lol. Ironically the place where I read about the different nose cones was from your Eagle Guide. 

Mark

22 hours ago, gb_madcat_sl said:

Lol. Ironically the place where I read about the different nose cones was from your Eagle Guide. 

Mark

Yep, although that was first published in The Modern Viper Guide.    I first came across the blunt live AIM-120 on an Eagle pulling alert duty a year or so ago.  I *think* it some type of upgrade or mod to the missile but obviously nobody needs to be talking about the specifics.

Edited by jmel
14 hours ago, jmel said:

Yep, although that was first published in The Modern Viper Guide.    I first came across the blunt live AIM-120 on an Eagle pulling alert duty a year or so ago.  I *think* it some type of upgrade or mod to the missile but obviously nobody needs to be talking about the specifics.

It's not an upgrade. the "powers that be" read your book, stating that the "blunt" nose cones were for training only. They said HA! We'll show him! 

Aaron