External mounted cameras on Aircraft

During testing of new aircraft, you see a lot of external views from different angles of things like missile launches and control surface movements. I have seen low level shots on the B-58 Hustler and F-4 Phantom that look like the camera is on top of the vertical fin. Yet I have never seen documentation of the camera units themselves. Google search did not help. Any reference that you guys know.

Steve

• 5 months later...

I have seen a number of these( mostly go-pros these days, and sadly no pics) and they are usually mounted to screws on the airframe. Some fairing that is screwed on has a few screws removed, and longer screws are used to hold down a frame that then holds a camera. I am sure it was the same back with the older style cameras, just the frame would have been larger.  

Sean

5 hours ago, martin_sam_2000 said:

I have seen a number of these( mostly go-pros these days, and sadly no pics) and they are usually mounted to screws on the airframe. Some fairing that is screwed on has a few screws removed, and longer screws are used to hold down a frame that then holds a camera. I am sure it was the same back with the older style cameras, just the frame would have been larger.  

Sean

Cameras used for aircraft require something a bit more robust than a Go Pro.  Particularly Naval and USAF aircraft due to the dynamic loads in testing.  Many high speed cameras also used during weapons testing.

On 9/26/2018 at 11:19 PM, Andrew Maverick Taylor said:

Cameras used for aircraft require something a bit more robust than a Go Pro.  Particularly Naval and USAF aircraft due to the dynamic loads in testing.  Many high speed cameras also used during weapons testing.

You are most likely correct. I have only seen cameras mounted on warbirds, aerobatic aircraft, and the odd business jet. I am sure the stress of Military flying brings its own unique design challenges.

Sean