F/A-18E Hasegawa 1/48... help??

I cannot see this depression (at least it is VERY attenuated).....any help?

fn9quu.jpg

29b224o.jpg

2n1rs5f.jpg

here instead it is more evident .... maybe it is only on the right side? :hmmm:

8wjz0h.jpg

TIA.

Edited by Alpagueur

The port side fuselage station normally carries the ATFLIR. This station can carry an AIM-120 with the addition of the launcher being installed. In your pictures there is a blank off installed for the launcher and ATFLIR. If you look closely at your second pic you can see a slight indentation on the edge of the blank off just above the RBF flag.

Edited by tosouthern66
19 minutes ago, Jonathan_Lotton said:

Ya know...just in case they need to haul a sparrow on that station...

That's what I would have thought it was for. Looks like Hasegawa exaggerated the indent though. I'll have to dig out one of my Revell kits and see what theirs looks like.

The Revell F-18E (and I would think their F too but I didn't check) have the same indentation. I think it must be to allow for a Sparrow mounting as Jonathon mentioned.

More likely to mount an AIM-120, especially the older large-fin variants (which has the same fin spacing as the Sparrow)

Note sure if they've ever bothered to mount the AIM-7 on the E/F operationally (I know it's at least approved)

Edited by mawz
15 hours ago, mawz said:

More likely to mount an AIM-120, especially the older large-fin variants (which has the same fin spacing as the Sparrow)

Note sure if they've ever bothered to mount the AIM-7 on the E/F operationally (I know it's at least approved)

Rhino's have hauled sparrows operationally, it's just not common. 

23 hours ago, mawz said:

The wings and fins of an AMRAAM are about a third the size of a Sparrow, there was never a "older large-fin variant".

37 minutes ago, GW8345 said:

The wings and fins of an AMRAAM are about a third the size of a Sparrow, there was never a "older large-fin variant".

AIM-120A/B has larger fins than AIM-120C/D, which had the fins clipped for internal carry on F-22.

The fin spacing is the same as Sparrow, not the fin size (which I never claimed)

1 hour ago, mawz said:

AIM-120A/B has larger fins than AIM-120C/D, which had the fins clipped for internal carry on F-22.

The fin spacing is the same as Sparrow, not the fin size (which I never claimed)

My apologies, I misunderstood what meant by "larger fin".