Starting on Academy's 1/48 F-4B with VF-111 scheme. I am also using Eduard's Cockpit detail set, Eduard's Brassin resin seats, and Eduard's Brassin exhaust cans. The cockpit tub is done and now working on the seats. The seats have over 44 parts themselves! So far all is going good. Only thing I don't like at the moment is the nose gear door link is very fragile and installs early. It is now pinned as it breaks easily. You can see and follow the build on my blog at https://davidsscalemodels.com/build-log/1-48-academy-f-4b-vf-111/

dsc04083.jpg

dsc04094.jpg

dsc04100.jpg

Looking forward to this one. Will certainly follow, have the one in my stash. For me the first time I will build a Phantom in 1/48 scale., when I finish my 1/32 scale projects(also Phantoms). I simply like the layout of this plane. Beasts.

Kind regards,

Robert Jan

You can actually leave the nose gear and associated parts off until the very end. You  just have to remove (or reduce their size ) two small tabs where the nose gear strut slots in to place. That fragile link can be left off as well. With a bit of finagling it can be fit to place at the very end. I did it on mine with no problem.

HTH

Bob

Edited by Bob Beary
spelling

Wolfman_63 

I built this kit when it 1st came out OOB, and it just about fell together like a Tamiya kit.  Your seats just blew me away. Outstanding to say the least.  Like Bob I fiddled around with the gear struts so I could install them at the end of the build, as I always seam to break those type of parts.  Betcha you loved not having to deal with a top fuselage seam, I know I did

Looking forward to your next update post.

Joel

Thanks Joel! And here is the next update!

The base coat painting is done. I also painted the missiles and drop tanks. I used black, brown, and blue pastel chalk to weather the exhaust. They came out very similar to the reference photo's I am using. Should be starting the numerous decals tomorrow. More photo's on my blog under the build logs page.

dsc04137.jpg

dsc04144.jpg

Wolfman_63

Great progress for sure. From what I can see of your exhausts, they really look good. I usually do mine with Tamiya clear colors, but I think I'll start to use chalks as well. 

Joel

The decals are done. The decals are excellent, they conformed to the surface details very well. Next up is the weathering and canopy details. So far this has been a very nice kit to build. I have had no fit issues and everything coming together nicely.

You can see all the build photo's at https://davidsscalemodels.com/build-log/1-48-academy-f-4b-vf-111/

dsc04148.jpg

dsc04152.jpg

dsc04156.jpg

The Academy 1/48 F-4B is finished. Overall this kit is great. Very good fit and excellent decals.

The instructions could use a little better clarity when it comes to missiles and bombs.

So I now have four decades of VF-111 aircraft.

All build and completed photos are at https://davidsscalemodels.com/2018/05/16/f-4b-phantom-from-vf-111-completed/

dsc04158.jpg

dsc04164.jpg