Jump to content
ARC Discussion Forums
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
CaptainObvious

Bought it, so I'll have to build it. - 1/48 Hawker Hunter - Completed

Recommended Posts

Captain,

I followed your build since the beginning but this is my first post here and I add that start to look a real beauty!

I love the Hunter,a very graceful plane.I bought the Revell kit in 1/72 to represent a Jordanian or Iraqi bird,still not decided. But I'm a little disturbed,as I'll load my model with the tipical cluster of 60Lb rockets so frequently carried in the attack sorties by the fighter,but look like if the market don't offer nothing about this...

 

Can't wait to see some paint now!

 

 

Gianni

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Joel_W said:

Capt. Obvious,

  That's some really nice work on the canopy.  the end results more then justify the effort to produce it.  Great progress as it sure looks like you're nearly ready for primer.

Joel

 

Thanks Joel. I seem to take more time planning and deciding than actually doing. Once I made up my mind, the canopy mods didn't take too long at all.

A few more things on the list before primer. I need to scratch up some antennae, attach and blend in the clear bits.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, kurnass77 said:

Captain,

I followed your build since the beginning but this is my first post here and I add that start to look a real beauty!

I love the Hunter,a very graceful plane.I bought the Revell kit in 1/72 to represent a Jordanian or Iraqi bird,still not decided. But I'm a little disturbed,as I'll load my model with the tipical cluster of 60Lb rockets so frequently carried in the attack sorties by the fighter,but look like if the market don't offer nothing about this...

Gianni

 

Thanks for dropping in Gianni. I'm really glad you took the time.

I would love to see you tackle the Hunter in 72nd. Your work is beyond fantastic and I'm sure she'll turn out great!

I searched a little for aftermarket 60lb rockets and it seems like Pavla makes them. Here's a source I found on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pavla-U72021-1-72-Resin-Weapon-set-British-rocket-projectiles-60lb-SAP-HE-W72021-/230932549485

Are these what you were looking for?

-co

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Niels said:

You can replicate the inner missile pylons by using the rails form the F-86 kit - some cool pics here if you don't already have them; 
http://www.fighterworld.com.au/the-aviation-collection/aircraft-displays/hawker-hunter

 

Whoa! I just might have those pylons lying around somewhere after my sabre build. I'll see if I can find them. Thanks for the info Niels!

I need another pair of launch rails and sidewinders though. Gives me an excuse to buy the new Tamiya F-14D. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beautifully done so far.
Can't wait to see it complete!

 

Cheers,

DIO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 7:35 AM, DIO said:

Beautifully done so far.
Can't wait to see it complete!

 

Cheers,

DIO

 

Thanks DIO!

I'm a slow builder. Completion might take a while.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, CaptainObvious said:

 

 

Thanks DIO!

I'm a slow builder. Completion might take a while.

Same here. As long as we enjoy it, it is all good 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Capt.

  When you get to my age, completion can't take forever, or I just might not get there in time.

Joel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sometimes it's the journey that matters 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello fellow modellers,

 

I've been busy filling, rescribing and polishing. Plenty of busy work but nothing much that can be shown in pictures.
Nonetheless, I wanted something to show that this build is progressing.

 

With reference to some pictures, I scratched up a few antennas and took one from the spares box. I'm not sure what the rectangular piece is. Can anyone enlighten me?
tweAJNs.jpg

 

Painted the insides, glued, flared in and polished up the navigation lights.

48IxKZj.jpg

zTWjbTn.jpg

 

Taking a break from the fuselage, I turned to the ejection seat.
The feedback from my previous attempt at the handles were that they were a little too big for the scale.

These were made using yellow 0.5mm wire wrapped with black vinyl tape.

uFtx03h.jpg

 

But it is hard to find yellow wire at smaller gauges. So I tried wrapping yellow and black string around thin wire. This didn't turn out well.
The bottom piece is made with the original 0.5mm technique.

AWAGt4U.jpg

 

Wanting to do better, I found someone who had used colored clay.

You make yellow and black rolls then you twist them together while gently pulling the twist longer as you do so.

NK6UZ6u.jpg

 

The orginal post by Mr Wilfried Eck explains it better here http://www.pmcn.de/English/E-T2V-1.htm.

I found it very difficult to achieve the same excellent results as he did. They get fragile as they get thinner and it was hard to keep the yellow and black striping consistent.

This was the best that I could do. The ones on the left with the masking tape are made with 0.5mm wire. The ones on the right are made with clay.

 vaYdFqs.jpg

Better but I wanted to try something else.

 

One day, I had a flash of inspiration and bought a broom just for the yellow nylon bristles.

These measured 0.3mm in diameter and I gave wrapping black vinyl tape another go.

I'm not sure if it was due to the thin vinyl strips or the small diameter of the bristles but the vinyl just didn't want to stick.
The tape would unroll itself after a few turns. I put it away for a few days in frustration. 

Finally in another eureka moment, I tried it with super glue. Duh. :doh:

uIt0q57.jpg

 

The nylon bristles are a little harder to work with as they resist shaping unlike wire.

Anyway after all that trial and error, this is the result. The seat still needs some decals and a flat coat.

 caz0rdR.jpg

 

Cheers folks!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Captain

 

Like a lot the work you are doing, I'd been following this build from the beginning; regarding the seat, I like the clay handles more than the vinyl ones.

 

Carlos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Capt. Obvious,

   1st off, just a great job of polishing those navigation lights. 

    As for your great ejection handle experiments, I must say that you really covered way more options then I could think of. I usually end up with using a very fine tip black magic marker to make those lines, and more often then not, they come out looking, well, to be honest about it, like crap as I never can keep the spacing, angles, and thickness the same. I really love your broom idea, and you've got enough yellow bristles for a life time. 

Joel

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 2:53 AM, cruiz said:

Hello Captain

 

Like a lot the work you are doing, I'd been following this build from the beginning; regarding the seat, I like the clay handles more than the vinyl ones.

 

Carlos


Hello Carlos,

Thanks for stopping by. You are doing a fantastic job on your corsair.
I think the clay handles have much potential. I probably just need more practice. I'll give clay another go on the next project.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 5:53 AM, Joel_W said:

Capt. Obvious,

   1st off, just a great job of polishing those navigation lights. 

    As for your great ejection handle experiments, I must say that you really covered way more options then I could think of. I usually end up with using a very fine tip black magic marker to make those lines, and more often then not, they come out looking, well, to be honest about it, like crap as I never can keep the spacing, angles, and thickness the same. I really love your broom idea, and you've got enough yellow bristles for a life time. 

Joel

 

 

Hello Joel! Thanks for stopping by!
The ejection seat came with some photo etch handles that I just made a mess of. Like you, I just can't get the black lines even with paint brush or markers.

I think I do enjoy the problem solving aspect of the hobby. Trying out different approaches and finding one that works is satisfying.
Although this particular experiment with the handles didn't turn out as well as I had hoped, I think it improves on the previous effort.

Gotta leave some room for improvement on the next kit right? :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CaptainObvious said:

 

Hello Joel! Thanks for stopping by!
The ejection seat came with some photo etch handles that I just made a mess of. Like you, I just can't get the black lines even with paint brush or markers.

I think I do enjoy the problem solving aspect of the hobby. Trying out different approaches and finding one that works is satisfying.
Although this particular experiment with the handles didn't turn out as well as I had hoped, I think it improves on the previous effort.

Gotta leave some room for improvement on the next kit right? :rolleyes:

Capt. Obvious,

  That's for sure.

Joel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi folks,

 

Time for a quick update.

 

The model was given a dark gray undercoat with some random premixed paint left over from another project. 

Also mottled with leftover thinned white.

FvXRGWu.jpg

 

The undersides were painted Mr Color 316 (FS17875) off white.
I find the lacquer version cures a lot quicker than their equivalent water soluble H316.

It is durable and stands up to handling well.

2s0hyOp.jpg

 

Gear bays were painted Alclad White aluminum and gun ports, Dark Aluminum.

BnokRzx.jpg

 

Thanks for dropping in!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Capt. Obvious.

  I really like your "black basing" on the top. The two colors are just far enough apart to make render a nice color modulation. The off white undersides looks perfect.

 Like you, the Mr. Color lacquer based paints are the best yet. I'm slowly working their way into my paint rack as I use up the dozens and dozens of bottles of Tamiya and Mig paints I have. The key is my new spray booth. Not a hint of lacquer fumes when I'm done painting with any base paint.

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for dropping in Joel.
I'd love me a new spray booth. Fumes are the only negatives with lacquers. I do love how they spray, great coverage and durable as well. No tip drying like with acrylics. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Capt. Obvious. 

  a spray booth is an absolute must with a venting hose to a window for no fumes, and no issues with my better half. 

 BTW, I've taken to wearing a quality respirator as well any time I AB these days, including the cleaning process as I do use Lacquer Thinner exclusively for that.

Joel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just catching up and enjoying the build. great call with the resin front office as the added detail looks great. Completely agree that someone of the manufacturing should have cared a bit more when the ejector pins were going and removing them would cause a massive loss of detail

Nice delicate touch on the assembly and the starting of the AB work

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/25/2018 at 6:46 AM, Peterpools said:

Just catching up and enjoying the build. great call with the resin front office as the added detail looks great. Completely agree that someone of the manufacturing should have cared a bit more when the ejector pins were going and removing them would cause a massive loss of detail

Nice delicate touch on the assembly and the starting of the AB work

Keep 'em comin

Peter

 

Thanks for dropping by Peter!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a pre-shading guy, but still I think you are heading for an impressive end result.

 

I remain tuned as I like both the subject and your work on it.

 

Cheers,

DIO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Captain obvious,

  You nailed that Camo pattern to a tee. The Back basing looks great.

Joel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×