Can MRC's 1/35 UH-1C be made into a UH-1B?

I have an MRC 1/35 UH-1C Huey "Frog". I build Thai aircraft, but Thailand never flew the C model AFAIK. Can I convert/backdate the kit  to a UH-1B version? I know the rotor blades are bigger , as is the tail, but what else would I need to do?

I want to do this version:

63281_0.jpg

Larry

lengesath(AT)cox(DOT)net

Cobra Company made a UH-1B backdate set, unfortunately, CC went out of business.   The set included the wider cord rotors and new rotor head with weights, new tail, narrower elevators, B model IP,  FM homing antennas for the nose, and non-armored seats.

150070-12155-pristine.jpg

Lone Star Models (http://www.lonestarmodels.com/store) did buy their masters though and is offering some of their sets.  The UH-1B backdate set is not available yet, but he is always adding more sets, so keep your eye on their site.  

Another option is to look for the Seminar/Sar 1/35 UH-1B kit.  It comes up on eBay often.  It is about on par with the Academy UH-1C in detail and such.  

1665-1.jpg

1 hour ago, ReccePhreak said:

Thanks for that info. :thumbsup:

I will keep an eye out for both the Lone Star reissue of the Cobra Company. set, and the Seminar kit.

Larry

I've got the seminar kit if u want to buy it?

My suggestion would be to use the Seminar kit as a donor for the rotor and Tail rotor/tail pylon for the Academy kit to get a B. That is what I plan to do as well for my Seawolves UH-1B. 

Years ago CC had discontinued the conversion. I had emailed asking about the OOP set as I was wanting a Seawolf (this was years ago when I asked, well before they ceased operations), if I recall his response was along the line that there was issue with the blades sagging (or warping? Can't remember specific now) and so the set was stopped. If LS reissues the set, hopefully he'll update the set rather than straight repop considering that CC specifically ended the conversation sale for a reason. 

Edited by ziggyfoos
Stupid autocorrect
12 hours ago, ziggyfoos said:

Years ago CC had discontinued the conversion. I had emailed asking about the OOP set as I was wanting a Seawolf (this was years ago when I asked, well before they ceased operations), if I recall his response was along the line that there was issue with the blades sagging (or warping? Can't remember specific now) and so the set was stopped. If LS reissues the set, hopefully he'll update the set rather than straight repop considering that CC specifically ended the conversation sale for a reason. 

This information is correct. The blades had issues, sagging and chord width. Putting a wire in the mold was not effective, the molds would flex and the wire would show on the blade surface.

I just completed the same build you want to do, a HAL-3 Seawolf. There is a boxing of the Seminar kit that is supposed to be a UH-1C, it's the B kit with a couple of new frets that give you the tail fin, bigger flat top elevators, the tropical filter and modified cowl doors. They do not change the main rotor, the instructions have you leave some parts off. I used the fin, the filter and the cowl doors on the B body. The blades are incorrect in chord, I modified the blades out of an old Dragon huey kit.

Chris M

P1010002.JPG

Thanks for the info Chris.

Based on it, and the different reviews I have read online, I will not be looking for the Seminar UH-1B, but may try to modify the MRC UH-1C kit that I already have.

Or I can just say the heck with it, sell the MRC kit, and go on with my easier projects, waiting to see if someone eventually comes out with an accurate UH-1B kit, in either 1/35 or 1/48. :hmmm:

Larry

Edited by ReccePhreak
4 minutes ago, ReccePhreak said:

Thanks for the info Chris.

Based on it, and the different reviews I have read online, I will not be looking for the Seminar UH-1B, but may try to modify the MRC UH-1C kit that I already have.

Or I can just say the heck with it, sell the MRC kit, and go on with my easier projects, waiting to see if someone eventually comes out with an accurate UH-1B kit, in either 1/35 or 1/48. :hmmm:

Larry

If you go to the HAL-3 web site the serials of all the UH-1's they flew are listed. Some have the modex number too. They flew UH-1B, UH-1C and UH-1M aircraft.

Chris M

Maybe Kittyhawk can get on board with the 1/35 UH-1D/H and a new tool UH-1B to go with the excellent MRC C model??  (which is being re-released this year in the Revell branding)

the most iconic chopper of all time and poorly represented in any scale (except KH D/H in 1/48 and the MRC UH-1C in 1/35)

It's 2018 - I am constantly surprised that this bird is not all over the market in various scales and in exceptional new tool quality...

I read somewhere that the KH sales for the 1/48 kit have been outstanding so can only hope it takes note and gets that 1/35 kit out soon...

Edited by UH-1Mad
23 hours ago, Chief Snake said:

If you go to the HAL-3 web site the serials of all the UH-1's they flew are listed. Some have the modex number too. They flew UH-1B, UH-1C and UH-1M aircraft.

Chris M

Thanks Chris, but I don't want to build an HAL-3 Huey, but one in Royal Thai Police markings.

Larry

I would go with the Sar/Siminar kit.  I have built it and it is not bad at all.  It is almost on par with the Academy C model; just slightly less finess on the smaller details.  Overall, not a bad kit.  No major issues and it definitely looks like a UH-1B when completed.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/27/2018 at 7:35 AM, HeavyArty said:

I would go with the Sar/Siminar kit.  I have built it and it is not bad at all.  It is almost on par with the Academy C model; just slightly less finess on the smaller details.  Overall, not a bad kit.  No major issues and it definitely looks like a UH-1B when completed.

The rotors are way to wide (25 scale inches on the Siminar kit).  You could modify a set of Dragon/Panda UH-1D/H rotors though by adding blade counterweights and shortening the blade to 44 scale ft.  if you get the German UH-1D boxing of the Dragon kit you wont have to sand down the incorrect 212 rotors either since the kit comes with the correct 21 scale inch chord blades.  

Ray