YB-40 details UPDATE

Hi All,

I have had a YB-40 build in the planning stages for years and have yet to pull the trigger, mainly due to lack of markings and details. I am confident in being able to get the markings done with my skills these days, but I am still at a loss as to nose details. 

I know they modified from early B-17F models, but I have seen everything from E style windows, through F style right up to G model. 

Does anyone have any idea what aircraft had what and when they had each one?  I used to have some details, but I think they were lost over the years as hard drives were replaced. 

Thanks,

Sean

Edited by martin_sam_2000
24 minutes ago, DonSS3 said:

This may be worth a look:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_YB-40_Flying_Fortress

Look at the "Operators" section.

Well then.  I never saw that section. 

That helps a bunch. Never realised so many of them were made!

Now i just have to figure out how to convert my G nose without butchering it. Lol. I wish cutting edge released thise nose converion kits. 

Sean

There were only 13 that went overseas and one of those was lost prior to operations. Others were built from later blocks but if you are only interested in the ones that saw combat they had the standard B-17F nose windows and no astrodome.The XB-40 retained all of the small windows in the nose but the YB's got the enlarged gun windows. Some of the ones from the later blocks had the "cheek" style windows but those did not go overseas. They were all used as trainers in the States.

Ok gang, got my Google-fu going and I came up with the latest

these are the 13 (1 lost on delivery) that went overseas with their squadrons and markings.

Conversions of B-17F-10-VE

42-5732 “The Mugger”(92nd BG, 327th BS, UX-?)(lost on delivery flight)

42-5733, "Peoria Prowler" (92nd BG, 327th BS, UX-F)

42-5734, "Seymour Angel" (92nd BG, 327th BS, UX-D)

42-5735, "Wango Wango" (92nd BG, 327th BS, UX-B) (lost June 22, 1943)

42-5736, "Tampa Tornado" (303rd BG, 359th BS, Q) (92nd BG, 327th BS, UX-C)

42-5737, "Dakota Demon" (303rd BG, 360th BS, PU-Q) (92nd BG, 327th BS, UX-K)

42-5738, "Boston Tea Party" (92nd BG, 327th BS, UX-G)

42-5739, "Lufkin Ruffian" (303rd BG, 427th BS, GN-J) (92nd BG, 327th BS, UX-J)

42-5740, "Monticello" (92nd BG, 327th BS, UX-E)

42-5741, "Chicago" (92nd BG, 327th BS, UX-H)

42-5742, "Plain Dealing Express" (92nd BG, 327th BS, UX-L)

42-5743, "Woolaroc" (92nd BG, 327th BS) (92nd BG, 327th BS, UX-M)

42-5744, "Dollie Madison” (92nd BG, 327th BS) (92nd BG, 327th BS, UX-A)

pictures are hard to come by and nose art even harder. 

most likely the one I will do...Dakota Demon

YB-40%2042-5737%20Dakota%20Demon.jpg

Copy the art in Photoshop, print a couple of copies off my laser printer in yellow then put a few on top of each other to build up the colour. My question is the main wheel. you can see some colour on the hub. I found the next picture which shows Tampa Tornado and two other un-identified birds..but what colour is the wheel hub??

YB-40_42-5736_92nd_Bomb_Group_jun43.jpg

Now finally my interesting question.

YB-40-425743%20Woolaroc.jpg

This is YB-40 42-5743 Woolaroc. It has the Triangle B of the 92nd BG, the Chin turret, the F style top turret and as far as I can tell, no astrodome so I know it is a YB-40 and not a later aircraft with the same name HOWEVER, it has the later side nose gun bulge! So, was this a field mod, am i missing something in the picture, or is some of the production data wrong? Plus.to my eye at least, it looks like the pitot tube was field modified to get below any aerodynamic interference form the bulge

Thanks all,

Sean