Does anyone know,or recall how the Nav Lights on Lockheed F-117s looked?Were they "Bright" when used,,did they Pulsate like other military nav lights do,and was there any other features to them?

I`m building a Tamiya 1/48th,and am putting LEDs in the Nav light locations in the wings,,and they will have a connector so it can be hooked up to an external source and circuit that used to be a Christmas light circuit that has features like steady,flash,etc.

Curious as to what setting to use when I hook it up.

Thanks for any help

Phil

On 2018-04-29 at 3:10 PM, airmechaja said:

Generally speaking, lights on aircraft that blink or pulsate are not nav lights. Nav lights are on or off. Lights that blink or pulsate are rotating beacons or anti collision strobes. I've never seen nav lights that are'nt steady on for obvious reasons. There are always exceptions with the military.....................but not that I have seen with nav lights.

Every aircraft I worked on had the option to flash nav lights, I worked on Hercs, Kiowas, Twin Otters, Twin Huey’s, Griffons, and Hornets. In the civy world I worked AW-139s and BK-117 helicopters. It was part of my walkaround. They always flew with them on steady though.

The wing tip navigation lights on MiG-29 (Type 9-12) that we had were blinking and not steady! Had reported on night missions several times and seen it.

I think I have somewhere night news reels where F-117 go to get fuel from tankers but dont recall what it was like.

Best regards

Gabor

• 6 months later...

Virtually everything I was around in the tactical community enabled the pilot to select flashing or steady modes on nav and position lights. In the early 2000s an “n viz” tcto was incorporated at least on ‘16s” but I’m certain everything else in USAFs inventory as well. With this modality the lights could only be seen through night vision goggles.

2 hours ago, BillS said:

Virtually everything I was around in the tactical community enabled the pilot to select flashing or steady modes on nav and position lights. In the early 2000s an “n viz” tcto was incorporated at least on ‘16s” but I’m certain everything else in USAFs inventory as well. With this modality the lights could only be seen through night vision goggles.

Thank you for backing up what I already posted. 😊