1/72 Hasegawa F-4C with lots of extras and scratch

49 minutes ago, Joel_W said:

...   your weathering technique for the tank was scary looking till the final pictures, which look certainly look the part of well used and weathered tanks. 

I agree about the scary part, but think the final is somewhat overdone, and not really befitting of Juan's superior construction talents. I say that with trepidation since I don't want to appear negative as concerns this great build. :kissing2:

As concerns the drop tank "weathering", I think the "spilled gas" effect running down from the fuel caps should not be there since  those were not common refueling points (and the seals didn't/shouldn't leak. Maybe Spanish tanks were refueled this way???. A crew chief could provide some clarification here. Of course there were usually plenty of scuff marks from boots where the crews used the tanks as steps to get down from the wings.

Thanksfully  Spanish Phantoms are better kept, appearance wise, than the Greeks'.  

Gene K

• 3 weeks later...

Hi again! First of all, sorry for this days without any update. I have been some lazy about this...

Many thanks Joel and gene for your comments. In fact initially the painting/ weathering technique is quite scaring, but I feel that the result is good enought and the process allows me to control enough the final result, though its some laborious. And about the final appearance of the drop tanks, on Spanish Phantoms they used to be pretty dirty and weathered, even more than mines... But as Gene says Spanish Phantoms used to be kept in acceptable condition unlike Greeks ones.

well, I am being quite chaotic on my building, as I am shifting fro ano part of the kit to another without being able to finish none of them. This in part is due to the fact that I am adding as much detail as I am able and this makes each step long and boring sometimes, so I'm allowing myself this license to not get tired of the project...This of course is reflected in this thread that becomes somewhat messy too...

Enough talking and here we go with some more progress. I added a couple of aftermarket itemsto the inventory of the project:

Eduard TERs. My aircreft will be displayed as in mainteinace condition, hence unarmed, but I will be hanging a couple of this under the inner wing pylons.

20180518_102036.jpg

This items are a little gem in themselves, consisting on one main resin part and some photoetched pieces and decals allowing a good level of detail:

20180518_102424.jpg

20180522_104912.jpg

20180522_105203.jpg

Aside of that, I added those hanging wires (initializer fuses?). And here we have the couple of TER once painted, decaled a weathered:

20180615_105931.jpg

The second aftermarket item added was the Northstar wheels set:

20180522_202139.jpg

This set consist also on few resin parts and one photoetched piece:

20180518_103943.jpg

The reason for adding this set in particular was that I found this pic some time ago, and thought it could represent one of the wheels disassembled:

two-maintenance-crewmen-repair-a-set-of-

The Northstar set wil allow to do this without further scraftHere are the wheels painted and weathered:

20180615_110044.jpg

20180615_110102.jpg

I will be scrtachbuilding a hydraulic jack later...

That,s alll for now. As always, comments and suggetsions are welcome.

Rgds

Juan

Edited by JFVicente

Hello,

these personalized ter's are excellent!

The north star wheels brilliantly projected and here also you did an excellent job.

Even if I'm used to work on tiny details I'm really impressed! 

Bye

Giovanni

WOW!!!

What a fantastic job you have done there!

Just a couple of things I would like to ask/notice.

Would it be possible to take some close-ups on the details you have made on the wings? I'm preparing to make a Davis-Monthan Phantom and these details are quite obvious.

Apart from this, I have the feeling that the rear cockpit cables (left side, as wee see it from behind) are a bit too much/thick for the scale. What do you think?

Again, great job!!!👍

Hi! Many thanks for your kind words Giovanni, Giemme and Sernak.

On 7/4/2018 at 10:01 AM, SERNAK said:

WOW!!!

What a fantastic job you have done there!

Just a couple of things I would like to ask/notice.

Would it be possible to take some close-ups on the details you have made on the wings? I'm preparing to make a Davis-Monthan Phantom and these details are quite obvious.

Apart from this, I have the feeling that the rear cockpit cables (left side, as wee see it from behind) are a bit too much/thick for the scale. What do you think?

Again, great job!!!👍

Sernak, about the close up pics you ask me for, I would suggest you to take a look a this thread:

http://www.modelwork.pl/viewtopic.php?f=86&t=39647&start=45

And also, to this article on ARCAIR:

http://www.arcair.com/Fea1/601-700/Fea656-F-4-Greutert/00.shtm

Those are from where I am getting a lot of inspiration.

RGDS

Juan

Hi Juan,

Great references!!! The level of detail is amazing!!! My Phantom is in 1/72 so, hopefully I will be able to make most of them, especially when you consider the fact that these airplanes were exposed to mother-nature and all sorts of things have grown inside and around them, therefore minimizing to a point my effort.

Again, many thanks.

On 7/5/2018 at 12:52 PM, JFVicente said:

Sernak, about the close up pics you ask me for, I would suggest you to take a look a this thread:

http://www.modelwork.pl/viewtopic.php?f=86&t=39647&start=45

And also, to this article on ARCAIR:

http://www.arcair.com/Fea1/601-700/Fea656-F-4-Greutert/00.shtm

JFVicente, the links are taking me to http://link/, a site for a simulation training business. They work if I copy their text and paste into the address field.

3 hours ago, Mstor said:

JFVicente, the links are taking me to http://link/, a site for a simulation training business. They work if I copy their text and paste into the address field.

That's exactly what I have done to open the websites. Copy//paste the links instead of clicking them.

Just a quick notice to anyone interested to visit the following website/forum: http://www.modelwork.pl/viewtopic.php?f=86&t=39647&start=45 

While browsing the site's webpages I noticed a build for the Revell 1/72 F-16. In one of the build's pages it has a photo probably from a magazine that explains the differences between the two air intakes the F-16 uses.

PLEASE, MIND THIS AND DONT CLICK ON IT OR TRY TO SAVE THE PHOTO, because it will open a window informing you that your computer has been affected by a virus and that you need to call immediately the number that is being displayed. Close from the Task Manager your web browser and if you have installed an antivirus software run it to check if something malicious  has been downloaded to your computer.

• 3 months later...

Hi Laz and everyone! Sorry for all this time without any update. I have been working on the kit on an on /off basis, due to nthe summer and other things of the day by day. I have managed to achieve some progress, but I have no  taken pics...I will try to post any kind of update this next week, I promise.

RGDS

Juan

• 1 month later...

Hi all! First of all sorry for all this time without any updates on this thread. Summer, life, job and a lot of procrastination are the culprits of this delay...

Sorry again and I promisse that I will try to be more constant with this...

Last pics that I posted were of the wheels. Here you can see also the landing gear legs and undercarriage doors painted and weathered:

20180615_110517.jpg

I still nedd to paint some details.

And here we have the airbrakes made out from Eduard PE parts. Painted, weathered and with some left over decals to add some interest to them

20180615_105609.jpg

And these are the underbelly auxiliary intake doors that I have shown previously. Here painted and with some decals added:

20180615_105822.jpg

Sorry for the poor pic...

Edited by JFVicente

Trying again...

At the beginning of the thread I had shown the front fuselage with the nose cone (the radome) cut appart. My intention is to show the radar extended, as being maintained. Here is it:

20180628_193210.jpg

20180615_110230.jpg

20180625_122442.jpg

More to follow...

Edited by JFVicente

Ok. Looks like my photos are too big and the forum only allows me to upload three each time...

Continuing with the radar:

20181113_111521.jpg

20181113_111530.jpg

20181113_111540.jpg

20181113_111550.jpg

That´s all for now. Will try to add some more pics during this week. As always, comments and suggestions are welcome.

TIA.

Juan

Edited by JFVicente
  • 5 weeks later...

Hi again! I must say sorry one more time for all the delays with the updates on this project. I have involved myself on a very demanding project that includes a lot of scrachtbuilding and have been suffering some frustration with the slow progress that i am achieving...

Anyway, here you have some more pics. As you can see in this photo I had opened a record on the left side of the fuselage:

20180430-111716.jpg

Although it already had the two parts (front and rear) of the fuselage assembled, during the work with the kit these were accidentally separated. This allowed me to open one more cover on the right side, showing one more section of the pipes along the fuselage and the air intake:

20180628_105257.jpg

The interior was made from scratch:

20180628_105543.jpg

Here is it dryfitted in place:

20180628_110325.jpg

Then, the front and rear fuselga halves were reunited again, and the resin air intakes installed:

20181113_110929.jpg

The frames of these openings were made from small photoetched strips from Eduard.

20181113_111025.jpg

Not very happy with the result, as those strips are very delicate and they have finished slightly curved, but they will have to serve.

My crazyness to open panels and registers led me to open the compartment that houses the liquid oxigen reservoir   in the lower part of the fuselage, just behind the front landing gear bay:

20181113_111125.jpg

The colver will be displayed in open position:

20181113_111759.jpg

Missing is the spherical bottle that I have made from scratch but don,t have a pic of it. 

More to follow...

I also opened the IFR door:

20181113_111111.jpg

And scratchbuilt it:

20181113_111613.jpg

20181113_111726.jpg

The tailhook also needs some maintenance, right? So I cut it apart :

20181113_111041.jpg

And built its ineterior from scratch as well as the cover that has been removed:

20181113_111331.jpg

Also the opened area on the front fuselage has been rebuiltas I was not very happy with my  previous atempt:

20181113_111019.jpg

And tha,s all for now and for some time... Sadly I have to admit that I have been overwhelmed by the complication that I have imposed on myself with the model and this has caused me to lose the motivation to continue with the project, so it has been put on hold for some time...

I have started another kit, triying to recover the "mojo" but I will return over this Phantom as soon as possible. This is a promise!

As always comments and suggestions are welcome

RGDS

Juan