My understanding is that they can be used with AIM-9L/M and, of course, AIM-120 missiles. The LAU-127 is used by the Navy. The USAF uses the LAU-128. Slight differences I think. Someone else will have more details I am sure.

Hello,

Yes, the generation of Sidewinders (L/M) prior to the X will work on the 128s. The F-15 family utilizes the 128, the Hornet uses the 127, and the F-16 uses the 129. Any older Sidewinders would have used older launchers prior to the 120 generation of launchers. Hope this helps.

Pat,

4 hours ago, Exgbuloader said:

Hello,

Yes, the generation of Sidewinders (L/M) prior to the X will work on the 128s. The F-15 family utilizes the 128, the Hornet uses the 127, and the F-16 uses the 129. Any older Sidewinders would have used older launchers prior to the 120 generation of launchers. Hope this helps.

Pat,

Would mid 80s F-15s have had the LAU-128s?

1 hour ago, Vaildog said:

No they didnt have them then. The F-15 just had the original ones then.  

Edited by achterkirch
2 hours ago, Vaildog said:

As near as I can tell, the LAU-128 entered the F-15 community after Desert Storm. All photos I have seen from DS show AIM-120's (which were in short supply at the time) mounted on the fuselage hardpoints.

I would say somewhere between 95-97 is when they first were used. F-15E's were using them in 1999 during Allied Force, but typically they would only carry two LAU-128's and two LAU-114's (AIM-9L/M compatible only) because they were still being produced in small numbers and priority went to the fighters. This being the case, it seems likely that the fighters had been using them for a few years already.

And yes, as was already stated, the -128 is compatible with the AIM-9L/M and X and ACMI pods, as well as the AIM-120.  

Edited by strikeeagle801
More info

LAU-128/129's were introduced just after Dessert Storm in 1991, initially only for AIM-120 carriage. Later this evolved to include all types of AIM-9's too. This is also a bit unit-dependant, as different unit got it at different times. Which unit are you looking for initially? 

7 hours ago, strikeeagle801 said:

As near as I can tell, the LAU-128 entered the F-15 community after Desert Storm. All photos I have seen from DS show AIM-120's (which were in short supply at the time) mounted on the fuselage hardpoints.

I would say somewhere between 95-97 is when they first were used. F-15E's were using them in 1999 during Allied Force, but typically they would only carry two LAU-128's and two LAU-114's (AIM-9L/M compatible only) because they were still being produced in small numbers and priority went to the fighters. This being the case, it seems likely that the fighters had been using them for a few years already.

And yes, as was already stated, the -128 is compatible with the AIM-9L/M and X and ACMI pods, as well as the AIM-120.  

Hmmmm...I’m not sure AIM-120s we’re used in DS.   

8 minutes ago, Falconxlvi said:

Hmmmm...I’m not sure AIM-120s we’re used in DS.   

They were carried late in DS1. None were fired. 

Aaron 

EDIT: Just to be clear, the photos I looked at last night in regards to AIM-120's were not that great...I do freely admit they may have been AIM-7's. I'm going off of what I read online and in the Osprey "In Combat" books that says that AIM-120's were carried at some point during DS. As for the original question, I can say 100% that the LAU-128 was not introduced til AFTER DS1, and, like I stated, they did not reach the Strike Eagle community in large numbers til the late 90's/early 2000's. 

Edited by strikeeagle801
2 hours ago, strikeeagle801 said:

Aaron 

EDIT: Just to be clear, the photos I looked at last night in regards to AIM-120's were not that great...I do freely admit they may have been AIM-7's. I'm going off of what I read online and in the Osprey "In Combat" books that says that AIM-120's were carried at some point during DS. As for the original question, I can say 100% that the LAU-128 was not introduced til AFTER DS1, and, like I stated, they did not reach the Strike Eagle community in large numbers til the late 90's/early 2000's. 

Interesting. I did a couple of web searches and found a few sources that support the “carried, but not used” claim.   I’ll have to do more research on this one.  Mostly, I’m curious as to why they weren’t used?!  Thanks for the info.  

• 11 months later...

Hello, very interesting post

Does  anybody have photos of AIM-120 in Desert Storm? If I understand it right the AIM120 is carried on LAU-114 in Desert Storm? The only squadron AMRAAM used in ODS was the 58th TFS from Eglin

I only know 1 photo in combat and it´s hard to see what kind of rail it is

Greetings

58thSQ-EaglebANKSDS.jpg

Edited by clevzy

I've been building Desert Storm models for quite a while and have been researching along the way ..

-No F-15E Strike Eagles had the LAU-128

-only the 58th TFS, 33rd TFW received the AIM-120 to use towards the end of the war, none were fired in combat.  Why the 58th?  .. probably because they were the ones with the most air-to-air kills.  Keep In mind, the air-to-air kills towards the end were of Iraqi aircraft fleeing to Iran.

educated guess for the rest .. an expert like Murph can correct me

-The LAU-114 can not fire the AIM-120

-the 58th TFS and  the 53rd TFS, (4thTFW(P) at Al Kharg) were equipped with the LAU-128.  Besides the LAU-128 having a more blunt front end, you can also tell the difference by how long the adaptor is between the launcher and the wing pylon.

some pics ..

No ALQ-135 antenna on the nose so this is likely a 53rd TFS Eagle.

https://nara.getarchive.net/media/ground-crewmen-move-a-weapons-skid-after-securing-an-external-fuel-tank-to-23e24b

Saudi F-15C and 1st TFW F-15C with LAU-114, has a long adaptor going past the end of the missile.

https://picryl.com/media/a-1st-tactical-fighter-wing-f-15c-eagle-aircraft-and-an-f-15c-of-the-13th-squadron-3a2134

post war photo of 58th TFS plane with LAU-128, has a shorter adaptor

85-0114_3.jpg

Edited by Benner
On 5/2/2018 at 10:14 AM, Falconxlvi said:

Mostly, I’m curious as to why they weren’t used?! 

I believe by the end of DS, there were not many Iraqi fighters airborne to engage. Most of the kills late in DS were on helicopters. The last kill coming on 15 Feb.

On 5/2/2018 at 7:07 AM, strikeeagle801 said:

Aaron 

Alaskan Strike Eagles had 2 LAU-128's per each a/c in 1993. 

3 hours ago, adamitri said:

Alaskan Strike Eagles had 2 LAU-128's per each a/c in 1993. 

Okay. Still does not counter what I said...They were not used by the Strike Eagle community in large numbers til later. By Operation Allied Force, the LN Strikes were still only carrying two per aircraft. 

36 minutes ago, strikeeagle801 said:

Okay. Still does not counter what I said...They were not used by the Strike Eagle community in large numbers til later. By Operation Allied Force, the LN Strikes were still only carrying two per aircraft. 

Wasnt trying to counter anything. Just stating a fact. 

On 5/2/2018 at 5:41 AM, Crash Test Dummy said:

Probably not. AIM-120 wasn't flown operationally until Desert Storm in 1991, so no reason to mount LAU-128s until then.

I´ve read the AIM120A was introduced in 1989 by the 33rd TFW. In the book "Sharing Eagles" (by Jerry Scutts, ISBN 0600 568 27x) is a pic of a pair of F-15C (86--0174 and 0173) with AIM120 and LAU128. This book was published in 1990 before Desert Storm.

On 4/24/2019 at 12:59 AM, Benner said:

I've been building Desert Storm models for quite a while and have been researching along the way ..

-No F-15E Strike Eagles had the LAU-128

-only the 58th TFS, 33rd TFW received the AIM-120 to use towards the end of the war, none were fired in combat.  Why the 58th?  .. probably because they were the ones with the most air-to-air kills.  Keep In mind, the air-to-air kills towards the end were of Iraqi aircraft fleeing to Iran.

educated guess for the rest .. an expert like Murph can correct me

-The LAU-114 can not fire the AIM-120

-the 58th TFS and  the 53rd TFS, (4thTFW(P) at Al Kharg) were equipped with the LAU-128.  Besides the LAU-128 having a more blunt front end, you can also tell the difference by how long the adaptor is between the launcher and the wing pylon.

some pics ..

No ALQ-135 antenna on the nose so this is likely a 53rd TFS Eagle.

https://nara.getarchive.net/media/ground-crewmen-move-a-weapons-skid-after-securing-an-external-fuel-tank-to-23e24b

Saudi F-15C and 1st TFW F-15C with LAU-114, has a long adaptor going past the end of the missile.

https://picryl.com/media/a-1st-tactical-fighter-wing-f-15c-eagle-aircraft-and-an-f-15c-of-the-13th-squadron-3a2134

post war photo of 58th TFS plane with LAU-128, has a shorter adaptor

85-0114_3.jpg

ground-crewmen-move-a-weapons-skid-after

There´s no LAU-128, all 4 rails are LAU114. If you increase the pic you see

x1.jpg

On 4/23/2019 at 2:08 PM, clevzy said:

Hello, very interesting post

Does  anybody have photos of AIM-120 in Desert Storm? If I understand it right the AIM120 is carried on LAU-114 in Desert Storm? The only squadron AMRAAM used in ODS was the 58th TFS from Eglin

I only know 1 photo in combat and it´s hard to see what kind of rail it is

Greetings

58thSQ-EaglebANKSDS.jpg

What year was this photo taken?  I've seen it a million times and never noticed the 120.  120's can ONLY be carried on LAU-128's, so in this picture, there's a 128 on the inboard.  This pic COULD be from a post DS1 sortie too.  Northern or Southern Watch.

Edited by BoeingDriver
4 hours ago, BoeingDriver said:

What year was this photo taken?  I've seen it a million times and never noticed the 120.  120's can ONLY be carried on LAU-128's, so in this picture, there's a 128 on the inboard.  This pic COULD be from a post DS1 sortie too.  Northern or Southern Watch.

https://www.defensemedianetwork.com/stories/f-15-eagles-were-the-deadliest-birds-of-desert-storm/

https://nara.getarchive.net/media/a-58th-tactical-fighter-squadron-f-15-eagle-aircraft-banks-to-the-right-following-32a533

in both links it´s described as ODS Sortie

the Scene Camera Operator TECH. SGT. Fernando Serna published a few ODS pics like

https://nara.getarchive.net/media/sgt-bradley-russell-crew-chief-secures-capt-cesar-rodriguez-into-the-cockpit-b9ef14

33rd TFW left the Gulf at 12 april 1991 and went back in 1992 (Wikipedia), the photo of Serna was published in Dec 91. So I can imagine it was in that time. Sure, it´s no 100 proof.

In the book "Debrief a complete history of U.S. aerial engagements 1981 to the present" by Craig Brown I found pictures of AMRAAMs on 58th Fighters in Desert Storm

2019-04-28_123858.jpg