15 hours ago, clevzy said:

There´s no LAU-128, all 4 rails are LAU114. If you increase the pic you see

x1.jpg

I don't know, looks different to me than what you see in this pic of a 1st TFW jet, the rail adapter and such

1stfw_zpsalgxdcf6.jpg

.. in any case, not the greatest pic to use.  here's a better angle on a 53rd TFS jet.

53 TFS deployed.jpg

Clezy, Thanks for posting those photos of the 58th TFS jets with AIM-120; excited to see those 🙂

Edited by Benner
On 4/28/2019 at 5:47 AM, clevzy said:

In this book are pictures of 85-0114, 85-0102 and 85-0100 carrying AIM120 during Desert Storm

2019-04-28_123929.jpg

Well this answers your question of 120's being carried.  I'm 1000% sure 120's can only be carried on LAU-128's and LAU-106's.

Yes, it answers. This pic proofs they mixed the rails in the conflict. It seems logical, the LAU-128 was new and not available in number. Thanks to all.... every answer motivated me to do a more intensive research 🙂

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

The original F-15 Sidewinder rail was the LAU-114, which used the ADU-407 adapter.

The LAU-128 Sidewinder/AMRAAM rail uses the ADU-552 adapter.

The LAU-127/8/9 launchers are physically compatible with all AIM-9 (although only the AIM-9M & -9X are currently used) and AIM-120 variants.

The AIM-9 uses a 'T' configured hanger, where the top of the T slides into the C-shaped rails (note: I just using letters to explain how the missiles are carried, the launchers obviously aren't shaped exactly like that). The AIM-120 uses "U" shaped hangers were the top of the U slides over the T-shaped rail. So, the 'new' LAUs actually have two rails superimposed on each other (C on the inside and T on the outside) that allow them to carry either missile.

The use of the LAU-128 during Dessert Storm is debated from time to time. The 33TFW received some before the end of hostilites, and some were carried but not used operationally. When carried, the AIM-120A's were carried on the outboard shoulder pylon, with AIM-9M's on the inner and AIM-7M's on the belly.  

On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 2:08 PM, Alpagueur said:

Do USAFE F-15Cs of Reykjavik (Keflavik) ever used LAU-128 & AIM-120? (I suppose not, but I would like a confirmation)

https://www.airliners.net/photo/USA-Air-Force/McDonnell-Douglas-F-15C-Eagle/1710662

eagle.jpg

the photos above were taken both in 1992....

The 57th FIS never flew MSIP jets, so they did not carry AIM-120s or LAU-128s.  After the 57th shut down the units that replaced them on a rotational basis did carry them though.

1 hour ago, Niels said:

The use of the LAU-128 during Dessert Storm is debated from time to time. 

I'm not sure why there's a debate.  There are pictures of Eglin jets carrying them in the closing weeks of Desert Storm, and I know several of the Eglin pilots that flew with them and have posted as such.

Regards,

Murph

On 9/2/2019 at 10:29 PM, Niels said:

The use of the LAU-128 during Dessert Storm is debated from time to time. The 33TFW received some before the end of hostilites, and some were carried but not used operationally. When carried, the AIM-120A's were carried on the outboard shoulder pylon, with AIM-9M's on the inner and AIM-7M's on the belly.  

AIM-120 on the inner shoulder pylon and AIM-9M on outboard shoulder pylon.

85-0102_2019-04-28_123929.jpg.75b4661d6b4eecde4e14296312baccaf.jpg.be728102a45bac190642ec35961ed06e.jpg

Scan from some book, got it off internet, hope not breaking any copyrights...

Regards

Jakub