AV-8B Plus - Loadouts with Litening Centerline

I've slowly progressing with my build of the Hasegawa build and thinking of weaponearing.  I'm looking for loadouts for the AV-8B plus with the targeting pod on the centerline, which as I understand, is now an option with more recent software upgrades.  I know a common loadout is the targeting pod on a wing station, 2 drop tanks, and 1 LGB.  I was hoping to get slightly more ordinance, so was looking at the centerline options for the pod.  I've seen the Spanish harriers with a maverick and LGB on the two wing stations and the center pod.  However, all the pictures I see of USMC harriers with the centerline pods haven't shown any ordinance on the wings.  I'm not sure if these are testing pictures, or the ordinance has been dropped.  I am doing the strakes, as I've never loved the look of the gun pods. 

Depending on timeframe and mission, you can choose between GBU-16, GBU 38/54, AGM-65 Maverick, LAU-10, GBU-32, GBU-12, usually single weapon per pylon.  

To increase loads, the USMC had the ITER developed, bascially a standard TER with the necessary bus to facilitate GBU38/54 JDAM carriage. This allows for multiple weapons to be carried on station 2/6

You will find some of the photos with above loads through this google search; 

https://www.google.com/search?q=AV-8B%2B+USMC+with+weapons+photos&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiel-yOqefaAhVFDZoKHUSSARgQsAQIJw&biw=1536&bih=686

Believe you need to mount your pod on the wing.  All the Harriers I controlled in IZ had them wing mounted (which limited their ordnance). 

Don't think the centerline clearance of the pod came until later on.

Cheers

Collin

Litening Pod on centerline wasn't authorized until Feb 2010.:thumbsup:

In 2003 the Litening Pod was only authorized on station 5 (right inboard station).

Edited by GW8345
  • 3 weeks later...

New question...I'm noticing on a most of these pictures that the outboard port pylon has the sidewinder launch rail, but the outboard starboard pylon does not.  Is this common practice and, if so, is there any particular reason why?

52 minutes ago, ESzczesniak said:

New question...I'm noticing on a most of these pictures that the outboard port pylon has the sidewinder launch rail, but the outboard starboard pylon does not.  Is this common practice and, if so, is there any particular reason why?

They usually only carried one Sidewinder for self protection when in indian country, back at the beach they would leave it on for a range pod (if required).

Carrying just one LAU-7 left the other station open for an air to mud weapon.

• 2 years later...

Dear all,

with great interest I followed this threat as I'm about to build an AV-8B II +.

I will use the 1/72 Hasegawa kit.

I want to put some ordnance under the wings and found a picture of an AV-8 with two iters and a total of 4 GBU-38.

Would it be an option to have two GBU-38 on one side while two GBU-12 on the other side?

Or another asymmetrical weapons load?

Would be happy about any information!

Thanks a lot and best regards

Sven

On 5/2/2018 at 10:11 AM, ESzczesniak said:

I've slowly progressing with my build of the Hasegawa build and thinking of weaponearing.  I'm looking for loadouts for the AV-8B plus with the targeting pod on the centerline, which as I understand, is now an option with more recent software upgrades.  I know a common loadout is the targeting pod on a wing station, 2 drop tanks, and 1 LGB.  I was hoping to get slightly more ordinance, so was looking at the centerline options for the pod.  I've seen the Spanish harriers with a maverick and LGB on the two wing stations and the center pod.  However, all the pictures I see of USMC harriers with the centerline pods haven't shown any ordinance on the wings.  I'm not sure if these are testing pictures, or the ordinance has been dropped.  I am doing the strakes, as I've never loved the look of the gun pods. 

I've built 3 Harriers for pilots in 311.  Two of them requested the same loadout...lightning pod centerline, 2xRockeyes slant racked on TER's, GBU 38, Winders on the tips.  They wanted the gun pods but it's your model

14 hours ago, Napalmakita said:

I've built 3 Harriers for pilots in 311.  Two of them requested the same loadout...lightning pod centerline, 2xRockeyes slant racked on TER's, GBU 38, Winders on the tips.  They wanted the gun pods but it's your model

Hi Napalmakita,

thanks a lot for the information and please excuse my query being a bit slow on the uptake.

Also dual GBU-38 on TER in slant configuration?

MTHX in advance!

Sven

4 minutes ago, Wiggi said:

Hi Napalmakita,

thanks a lot for the information and please excuse my query being a bit slow on the uptake.

Also dual GBU-38 on TER in slant configuration?

MTHX in advance!

Sven

No worries Sven... the TER's would be on the inner stations(3/7)loaded with slant racked Mk 20 Rockeyes.  The 38's are singles on each side n AIM 9's on the outer pylons.  When I did the CAG bird, he wanted GBU 54 on station 3/7 and APKWS on stations 2/8 with sidewinders on the tips..that's a more updated loadout.  Feel free to message me with any questions👍