Been a while since I posted here. But this kit seems so controversial, I thought I would post it up for you all to see. 

After all that’s been said about this kit, I’m going to nail my colours to the mast and say I like it, and enjoyed building it. It’s not a perfect kit and needs some modelling input to get it right. But I enjoy that sort of thing. For me it’s not so much about the destination, but the journey there. 

There’s a lot of aftermarket in the finished kit. Eduard internal, and external etched sets. Master Barrels pitots, static wick discharges and cannon barrels. HAD shock cone and wheels. Neomega ejection seat and front wheel well. Which was originally intended for the old Kopro kit. The only thing that is a necessity out of that lot, is the shock cone. The other parts were down to personal preference, and wanting to enhance the level of detail. 

It was all topped off with a dollop of Mr. Paint. 

SU-17 M4 Kitty Hawk  1:48 finished 30/04/18

SU-17 M4 Kitty Hawk  1:48 finished 30/04/18 SU-17 M4 Kitty Hawk  1:48 finished 30/04/18 SU-17 M4 Kitty Hawk  1:48 finished 30/04/18 SU-17 M4 Kitty Hawk  1:48 finished 30/04/18

SU-17 M4 Kitty Hawk  1:48 finished 30/04/18 SU-17 M4 Kitty Hawk  1:48 finished 30/04/18 SU-17 M4 Kitty Hawk  1:48 finished 30/04/18

SU-17 M4 Kitty Hawk  1:48 finished 30/04/18 SU-17 M4 Kitty Hawk  1:48 finished 30/04/18

SU-17 M4 Kitty Hawk  1:48 finished 30/04/18 SU-17 M4 Kitty Hawk  1:48 finished 30/04/18

Enjoy 

Nige.

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 6:42 PM, Matt Walker said:

Having built both the KH and HB kits, I would choose the KH kit any day over the HB.

Lovely result! Great build. Gives me inspiration to build the 2 seater.

M

Why is that Matt? Having the HB it would be interesting to know, and what to look out for in the build.

Brandon

Brandon.

The HB kit "builds" easier, but is simplified in detail compared to the KH kit. Surface details for example are much better presented by KH than HB, with HB leaving out a good amount of "stuff" on the exterior surfaces. The HB cockpit is really bland and not very accurate and really needs a complete replacement if accuracy is important to you, where-as the KH cockpit is very well done, with the only thing (maybe) needed is a resin seat with belts (I don't get on well with etched belts) The HB canopy/windscreen has some accuracy issues too

HB has closed airbrakes and intake blow-in doors. The HB "plug in" wing panels are a neat idea, but the ability to mount the KH wings in either extended or folded position, with extended flaps and LEF in the extended position gives many more options with KH.

Since building both KH and HB kits for review, I have bought he KH 2 seater. 

M

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 9:04 AM, Matt Walker said:

Brandon.

The HB kit "builds" easier, but is simplified in detail compared to the KH kit. Surface details for example are much better presented by KH than HB, with HB leaving out a good amount of "stuff" on the exterior surfaces. The HB cockpit is really bland and not very accurate and really needs a complete replacement if accuracy is important to you, where-as the KH cockpit is very well done, with the only thing (maybe) needed is a resin seat with belts (I don't get on well with etched belts) The HB canopy/windscreen has some accuracy issues too

HB has closed airbrakes and intake blow-in doors. The HB "plug in" wing panels are a neat idea, but the ability to mount the KH wings in either extended or folded position, with extended flaps and LEF in the extended position gives many more options with KH.

Since building both KH and HB kits for review, I have bought he KH 2 seater. 

M

Thanks Matt,

I appreciate the insight. Have to agree about the hb pit. it is very sparse. I am ok with the surface detail, but would have liked to have seen the intake doors having the option of being able to be open.

Thanks,

Brandon

Truly impressive work. The Su-22 is my favorite Soviet aircraft from the Cold War era. I think it embodies all the design elements of Soviet aircraft from that period.  Very nice work.  Your build makes me want to jump in and build the KH kit I have in my stash. I’m glad to hear you enjoyed the build.  As soon as I saw the sprues for this kit on line I sold my old KP kit on eBay for enough money I could buy the KH kit. I feel sorry for the guy who bought my KP kit. 

man that is nice! It's great to see one that hasn't been weathered to hell and back. I'm one of those on the list that has one of these kits to build one day and am not put off by the negative reviews

Great job you've accomplished on this

Si