So I bit the bullet and decided to buy me a 3d printer. After much thought and research I settled on the Anycubic Photon DLP resin printer.  https://www.amazon.com/ANYCUBIC-Assembled-Innovation-Off-line-Printing/dp/B078N2TSYS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1525454336&sr=8-1&keywords=anycubic+photon&dpID=41hy7Govl-L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

It has a pretty small build plate (around 2.5" X 4.5" X 6") but I figure for the price and knowing that there is a learning curve, I couldn't see starting with anything more expensive than that. I couldn't resist the apparently great quality resolution this type printer gives over the FDM printers. I figure if I want to do large objects I can break them down to sub-assemblies. One of the first things I'm going to try to print is the bottom of my 1/72 scale Saturn V and the engine fairings. Wish me luck and I'll keep you guys posted on my progress...successes and more likely a lot of failures. 

Bill

Good on ya Bill! ... now ... you'll need to develop a price list or disclaimer be-e-ecause ... we're all gonna be asking you to print a Kadiddle for our Reemistran  😉

I'm looking forward to seeing your progress with this cutting edge printer ... !

Pete

Way to go Bill!  With all your great designs I'm sure you'll get a lot of use out of this printer.

Kididdle, Reemistran, Kidaddle...  I feel like I'm watching the Grinch with all the Who's. :woot.gif:  

Hi Bill,

congratulations on your innovative acquirement and great success with it. best-of-luck03.gif

BTW, it would be nice if you could still find a bit time for answering my question at the end of my post from Thursday, before you get started at full throttle with your Hi-Tech printer. up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman

I am also interested in your experiences with this DLP printer. SLA is still too expensive (for me) and I was also looking at this model. I am especially interested in how this printer handles model parts. The reviews I've read so far were quite promising. How do cure the printed parts? Will you use a UV lamp or cure the parts in the sun?  I hope the smell of the resin is tolerable, that is the main obstacles between me and such a printer.

Thanks guys, I will keep you all posted of my adventures.

Well, I got my printer and in and was able to print one of test print. I was a bit concerned at first because my first attempt failed. But after reviewing what I did, I think what happened was that I didn't clean the build plate before I printed the first print and I think it was a little too slick and the layers started pealing away. Luckily it didn't get very far before I stopped it. I wiped the plate down with some alcohol and the next print was perfect. I just printed the anycubic cube model that came loaded as it doesn't take much resin and I wanted to make sure the printer worked without having to trouble shoot the model as well. I'll try to post images of my print when I get a chance to upload them. 

For my next print I need to check the model really well first. My issue was it was modeled with the units set to inches and exported in inches. Unfortunately I don't think the stock Anycubic slicing program can handle inches so it imported really really small. The conversion rate from mm to inches is 25.4, so I THINK I  SHOULD be able to scale up 2540% and it hopefully will be accurately the correct scale. I don't see a way to accurately measure models in the slicer program so I want to confirm that before I hit print. I'd hate to waste expensive resin only to find out that it's slightly off scale. Til then I'm going to keep researching how to best orient models and how to get better with the slicer programing. But so far, I'm excited about the possibilities.

Ralf, I'm going to go with the free curing option and place them in the sun. At this point I see no reason to buy a UV curing station yet. As for the smell, it is a bit strong but it didn't bother me very much . My wife however is very sensitive and it was giving her a little burning in her nose. So I am going to print in the garage until I figure out a better venting option. 

Stay tuned!

Bill

Congrats on your purchase and successful print, Bill.  I'll be following your adventures closely.   And good decision on getting one. I've actually spent more money getting parts from Shapeways (actually need more parts right now for another couple hundred  : (    BTW, I'm looking at sample Anycubic Photon prints online and small thumb-sized prints look amazingly smooth and detailed.

Here is an image of some of my first parts. This is the second run of them, the first I just did a single side at an angle as recommended. On this print I wanted to see if I could run them vertical so I could get all 4 panels on one print. They came out great! I'll get some primer and paint on them so you can see the surface better, but all in all it's smoother than some paint textures I've gotten on smooth resin. If I can get fairly consistent results like this without any major issue I'll be very happy. This is a print of the 1/72 scale Saturn V bottom thrust structure. I had to cut it in to 4 panels but should be easy enough to assembly back into a cylinder. New I will print the fairings.

Here they are right off the printer.

Edited by niart17
horrible pic

Great, I will now order one...  I think buying a decent 3d printer will be more cost efficient than ordering parts from shapeways. Especially when ordering many parts or bigger models. In a bigger scale even a SLA printer may be cheaper in the long run.

The Saturn V parts look great. Can't wait so see them primed.

Those prints look incredibly smooth, Bill.  And just imagine the time it would take to scratchbuild those stringers -- cutting, gluing and shaping.   I guess as long as you have the 3D model, then this is the way to go.   Any wax support required like Shapeways uses if you had oriented it differently and will it tell you where to place them?

A resin 3D printer SLA or DLP (doesn't matter) do not need wax support. Shapeways uses a different technology. A resin printer like the Photon uses the resin as a support. For example little rods depending on the model. Here is a quick video explaining how resin printing works. The slicer will suggest supports but you can also place them manually.

Edited by ralf

Yes, Crackerjazz, as ralf stated, it adds supports that you need to the model and then slices and prints it with supports in place. I haven't tried anything hollow yet so I'm curious how it does with that type of model, like a figure or something. 

Yep John, the fairings are next. Unfortunately I don't think there is a way to nest them into one print so it will take me over 20 hours to get them all printed...in other words 1 per night as I sleep. Not too bad for getting good parts. I will see how they handle paint and primers etc....hopefully this evening. I'll keep you all posted.

Bill

On 5/4/2018 at 12:19 PM, niart17 said:

So I bit the bullet and decided to buy me a 3d printer. After much thought and research I settled on the Anycubic Photon DLP resin printer.  https://www.amazon.com/ANYCUBIC-Assembled-Innovation-Off-line-Printing/dp/B078N2TSYS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1525454336&sr=8-1&keywords=anycubic+photon&dpID=41hy7Govl-L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

It has a pretty small build plate (around 2.5" X 4.5" X 6") but I figure for the price and knowing that there is a learning curve, I couldn't see starting with anything more expensive than that. I couldn't resist the apparently great quality resolution this type printer gives over the FDM printers. I figure if I want to do large objects I can break them down to sub-assemblies. One of the first things I'm going to try to print is the bottom of my 1/72 scale Saturn V and the engine fairings. Wish me luck and I'll keep you guys posted on my progress...successes and more likely a lot of failures. 

Bill

I am buying one of these in a couple of weeks (after I organize my office and make space for it); I am definitely very interested in your experiences with it. This little SLA printer is getting some very good reviews and may be a game changer for making scale-modeling level quality 3D printing available to a lot of people.

Those prints look amazing! Could you take some photos with grazing light to better see the surface texture? Alternately, perhaps describe it?

3 hours ago, KursadA said:

I am buying one of these in a couple of weeks (after I organize my office and make space for it); I am definitely very interested in your experiences with it. This little SLA printer is getting some very good reviews and may be a game changer for making scale-modeling level quality 3D printing available to a lot of people.

If you're in the market for one, I'd take a look at the Wanhao Duplicator 7 (which is also sold as the Monoprice MP Mini SLA).  It's functionally similar than the Photon - a little bigger build envelope and a larger, more established community, but less pretty and without a vent fan.  The Photon comes with an integrated SBC and touch-screen interface; the Duplicator comes in two versions - one includes the touchscreen, while the cheaper one doesn't, though it's cheap and easy to add a Raspberry Pi + TFT.  Probably the biggest difference is that the Duplicator is open-source, which means it will be easier to hack or upgrade; the Photon is closed-source, which will make further development trickier.

The Photon is getting a lot of buzz right now because Anycubic has sent units to a bunch of prominent bloggers and Youtubers, but the Duplicator is worth checking out.

I was torn between the Anycubic, the Wanhao, and one from XYZ (can't recall the model). I based my decision mainly on the apparent build quality of the Anycubic and of course price. The Wanhao is around the same price I believe but the Photon just looked a little more robust and better made. I would be curious to get an unbiased view of them side by side but it's hard to know who's biased and who isn't. I just sorta went with my gut on this one.

Bill

Here is a shot of one of the panels with paint on it. Granted, this is just spray can white (that's what the main body of my Saturn V is) but seeing it next to a kit plastic part with the same paint I think provides a little perspective. It's not perfectly smooth like styrene, and had I airbrushed this you may see the lines a little more. But all in all it stands up well.

Kit parts on the left (stringer section and flat area) printed stringer section on the right. 

compare small.jpg