Could we possibly see old squadrons return to active status?

No. 

I was part of 2nd Fleet back in the 2007-2008 timeframe before it shut down, they didn’t have “squadrons”. Fleet units (ships/planes/people) are assigned to a fleet to support their ops. 

Plus it still all comes down to $$$. There is no increase in assets or funding to stand up more ship and aircraft squadrons. 

2nd Fleet will be a staff put in place to manage operations in the Atlantic AOR with already existing assets chopped to them. 6th Fleet will still manage the Med. 

I'm glad I kept my flight suit patches, I may work for them again.  

Collin

I don’t know exactly how Navy works, but in the Army we deactivate and activate units all the time.  Very rarely do we create a completely new unit, so if they do actually “create” new squadrons, they’ll most likely just re-activate old ones, but not necessarily ones that used to be in the fleet

On 5/5/2018 at 2:32 AM, tosouthern66 said:

With the Second Fleet returning to service. Could we some of the old squadrons that were dis established return to active status? Here is a link on the story.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/eye-russia-u-navy-establishing-second-fleet-184755834.html

Collin is right, it's not going to happen. When Second fleet shuttered their doors a few years ago, they were simply rolled into Fleet Forces Command. Both commands were on the same base anyway, just a few buildings over from eachother, and the idea was to reduce administrative overhead and save costs.

USFF has a lot of other things that they have to worry about, and the critique has been that USFF couldn't focus enough energies on the same duties that 2nd fleet used to. Hence the return of of 2nd Fleet, which is probably going to occupying the same desks and watchfloor as that portion of USFF was, just operating under another title now.

No squadrons will be coming back.

Hoops