AK Air Command f-15's

This may be old news but was just watching and old documentary called Arctic Warriors on you tube and saw that F-15C's were equipped with CFT's. Had never seen that before. Makes sense due to the huge distances that could be involved.

On 5/5/2018 at 9:25 PM, achterkirch said:

They haven't been adopted by the AF yet, they're just testing out an idea. I wouldn't get too attached to it just yet, F-15s may not be around for that much longer.

I saw them on some Langley jets that were standing alert. This was about 20 some years ago and the 48th FIS was in the transition to F-15A's from -106s at the time. 

We had CFT's on C/D models at Langley 84-88, then at Kadena 91-93 and then Elmemdorf 97 - 98, seemed to follow me through the bases through my 20 years on the F-15. Let's hope they improved them because the first time around they were a nightmare!  Finally 97 - 2001 Lakenheath found myself in Crash Recovery and worked E's  and there they were  again! Thank you I did not have to deal with them.....

5 hours ago, Ol Crew Dog said:

We had CFT's on C/D models at Langley 84-88, then at Kadena 91-93 and then Elmemdorf 97 - 98, seemed to follow me through the bases through my 20 years on the F-15. Let's hope they improved them because the first time around they were a nightmare!  Finally 97 - 2001 Lakenheath found myself in Crash Recovery and worked E's  and there they were  again! Thank you I did not have to deal with them.....

CFT's are easy.  If you R2 enough of them, you can do it by yourself 😁

19 hours ago, boom175 said:

I saw them on some Langley jets that were standing alert. This was about 20 some years ago and the 48th FIS was in the transition to F-15A's from -106s at the time. 

That was longer than 30 years ago then; the 48th FIS transitioned to the Eagle in the 80 to 82 timeframe.  By the time I got to Langley in the late 80s we no longer flew with the CFTs, they were stuck in hangers accumulating dust.  When they had flown with them, it was often on air to ground missions.  Both of those were a legacy of the Rapid Deployment Joint Task Force requirement, where the Eagles would have been first in theatre, so they wanted them to have some air to ground capability.  That pretty much died out in the mid-80s for Langley.  Other bases, with longer weather divert requirements, continued to use them long after we stopped.

Regards,

Murph

On 5/5/2018 at 8:25 PM, achterkirch said:

Those are F-15E CFTs on a F-15C. I'd guess the old CFTs from the 80s have either been scrapped or were in too poor a condition to use.

It wasn’t the R2 them it was the leak an transfer check on the older CFT’s . Not to mention on C/D models if you had hydro leaks, reservoir  changes or just leak check on a run or mule! On E models at least you had the panel arrangement to facilitate maintenance and CFT’s were somewhat permanent attachment on the aircraft to include mounting hardware. C/D models the hardware came in a kit for anyjet on the line.

7 hours ago, BoeingDriver said:

CFT's are easy.  If you R2 enough of them, you can do it by yourself 😁

Edited by Ol Crew Dog
On 5/9/2018 at 6:09 AM, Murph said:

That was longer than 30 years ago then; the 48th FIS transitioned to the Eagle in the 80 to 82 timeframe.  By the time I got to Langley in the late 80s we no longer flew with the CFTs, they were stuck in hangers accumulating dust.  When they had flown with them, it was often on air to ground missions.  Both of those were a legacy of the Rapid Deployment Joint Task Force requirement, where the Eagles would have been first in theatre, so they wanted them to have some air to ground capability.  That pretty much died out in the mid-80s for Langley.  Other bases, with longer weather divert requirements, continued to use them long after we stopped.

Regards,

Murph

I remember the days of the 106 and 33’s, 106’s pulling out of chalks dumping fuel all over the ramp. I was told by “it’s normal”.

Loved the 48ths tail flash and how a certain Msgt mysteriously had his van painted the same colors?

Edited by Ol Crew Dog
2 hours ago, Ol Crew Dog said:

Loved the 48ths tail flash and how a certain Msgt mysteriously had his van painted the same colors?

At least it wasn't the house.

Regards,

Murph

6 hours ago, Ol Crew Dog said:

....106’s pulling out of chicks dumping fuel all over the ramp.....

Oh the mental image 🙈 

gotta get my mind outta the gutter.......

During the 80s P.A.C.A.F. asked us to have some F-15s test the Eagle's ability to bomb with only the equipment that it came with, no extras.

This idea didn't go over well with the not a pound for air to ground group but they had no choice.  They took them out to Ie Shima and a couple other islands and gave it a try.  To their surprise, it did quite well.  They even tried using their conformal tanks as long as they were at it.

Edited by ikar
14 hours ago, Ol Crew Dog said:

It wasn’t the R2 them it was the leak an transfer check on the older CFT’s . Not to mention on C/D models if you had hydro leaks, reservoir  changes or just leak check on a run or mule! On E models at least you had the panel arrangement to facilitate maintenance and CFT’s were somewhat permanent attachment on the aircraft to include mounting hardware. C/D models the hardware came in a kit for anyjet on the line.

For a while, for trips to depot, the made us remove the CFT's and the mounts so they could install the 106's.  I broke a couple half inch drives from the breaker bar during removal and torque wrench while installing.  THAT part was a real bee-yatch.  And you're right about having to drop one for utility res work.

14 hours ago, ikar said:

During the 80s P.A.C.A.F. asked us to have some F-15s test the Eagle's ability to bomb with only the equipment that it came with, no extras.

This idea didn't go over well with the not a pound for air to ground group but they had no choice.  They took them out to Ie Shima and a couple other islands and gave it a try.  To their surprise, it did quite well.  They even tried using their conformal tanks as long as they were at it.

Yes same at Langley, testing different configurations. CFTs with thread bags and armament loaded taking a full 8500’ runway to break ground!