Making an AH-1W from an AH-1Z

Just now, JEN722 said:

How difficult would it be to kitbash the KH 1/48 AH-1Z with the Italeri/Revell AH-1W to get a late AH-1W NTS with horizontal exhausts?

TIA,

Jens

Jens,

They are two totally different aircraft.  Different tailbooms, different rotors, different sensors, different skids shapes, etc, etc.  While the first AH-1Zs were highly upgraded AH-1Ws, most were new built in the Bell factory at Amarillo form the ground up.  Now if you have the 1/48 Italeri "AH-1Z" that's a different story as it's basically their AH-1W with 4 blades instead of 2.

Ray

Thanks for your reply Ray. 
I have the Kittyhawk AH-1Z and the Revell AH-1W, but I also have the Caracal decals for Whiskeys with artwork, and they are all NTS airframes with the turned (horizontal) exhausts.

Jens

If you can find it Olimp Productions made a "NTS" upgrade conversion set for the 1/48 Italeri/ Revell kit that included a new nose and the turned exhausts. I knew I should have bought more of them however I didn't realize they would go OOP so soon. Maybe Floyd Werner will make some????? I just want the nose honestly.

You'll have to get the Olimp set.  It comes with all you need.  The Kitty Hawk AH-1Z is totally different turret assembly.  You may be able to graft the exhausts on but that is an awful expensive conversion just for turned exhausts.  The rest of the kit, with the exception of the armament is not what you need. 

Floyd

If I recall correctly there was an work in progress where a fella took the nose from a Monogram snake and was able to graft it onto a -W for the straight lined NTS nose. If it hasn't been done already then how hard does everyone think it could be?

Thanks for your replies. The thing is that I can probably find the KH AH-1Z for the same price as the Olimp set. That said, I understand it doesn't solve my NTS/exhaust issues completely.
I have read that the Olimp resin kits are rough and not always the right size. Would that go for the Whiskey set too?

Jens

My problem is I have the Ital W kit and Olimp conversion in 1/72 but Kursad hasn't done that sheet in 1/72 like he said he would.......The Olimp kit looks Ok in 1/72 but the decals they provide aren't great and the Caracal ones looked so good.....

Way back in 2012 I cut the nose off the Monogram AH-1F kit and was going to graft it onto the Italeri AH-1W for the NTS nose. You have to cut the front of the Italeri canopy to fit the Monogram nose. Also, the Monogram nose sits a bit higher so the Italeri canopy leaves a gap between the lower edge of the canopy and the top of the cockpit. Even if you get the Olimp set, you are instructed to cut the front of the Italeri canopy to fit the NTS nose. Unfortunately I cracked the canopy on mine and that is why I stopped.

zXAtgmv.jpg

gB0i0bg.jpg

Edited by twong
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/7/2018 at 4:36 PM, RCAFFAN said:

My problem is I have the Ital W kit and Olimp conversion in 1/72 but Kursad hasn't done that sheet in 1/72 like he said he would.......The Olimp kit looks Ok in 1/72 but the decals they provide aren't great and the Caracal ones looked so good.....

This sheet is in the works, I hope to be able to release it  later in the year.

22 hours ago, JEN722 said:

I have now ordered the Olimp resin set along with some Master M197 barrels. That should keep me entertained (and able to build a late Whiskey).

Jens

Jens where did you find the Olimp set?

• 1 year later...