Bought the Revell Tornado F.3 ADV a couple weeks ago, and looking in the box; I'm quite impressed. Not seriously big on the "anniversary" decal selection, but the plastic is nice. 

Has anybody here built the other Tornados from Revell (1/48th)? If so, what should I expect? I'm ordering a second F.3 kit, but really want to do an ODS bird. Also while on the ODS subject; how about a good 1/48th Jaguar? (in RAF markings of course) Is the Revell good?

gary

7 hours ago, jonbryon said:

https://jonbryon.com/tornadogr1b/

FWIW I don't think Revell did a very good job with the shape of the nose on either of their IDS or ADV Tornado variants.

A good 1/48 Jaguar is something we are still waiting for.

Jon

The IPMS guys say the opposite for the 1/48th kits. There was an error with a panel line that needs to be filled near the nose. On the otherhand the other brands all seem to have a problem with the nose shape. The Revell and Hasegawa 1/72 kits need new noses. No idea about the 1/32 Revell kits. Found this data after I made this inquiry about the Revell kits.

gary

3 hours ago, ChesshireCat said:

There was an error with a panel line that needs to be filled near the nose.

Yep, I am well aware of that and fixed it. I still think the transition from the (approximately) circular to square section is over-pronounced, and looks worse on the ADV kit.

Jon

Here's a build review of the 1/48 revell IDS tornado I converted to an ECR:

Part1 is building and there's a part 2 article for painting:

https://reddogsmodels.wordpress.com/2017/10/02/148-revell-tornado-ids-to-ecr-lego-bomber-part-1-assembly/

098_lego_tiger_final.png

Lots of issues with the kit but in the end, it looks pretty much like a tornado, Loved the multiple options, like flaps, slats, spoilers and especially the reverse option. Damn hard to open to auxiliary intake doors and the intake fits are a nightmare.

For more, get on my blog :)

Edited by Red Dog
22 hours ago, ChesshireCat said:

Also while on the ODS subject; how about a good 1/48th Jaguar? (in RAF markings of course) Is the Revell good?

gary

The Revell kit is the Airfix/Heller kit reboxed.

Not seen a Kitty Hawk Jag build go smoothly yet but not tried it.  The Airfix / Revell Jag is a bit basic, but not quite as basic as the Harrier GR3.  Nice twin Jag build on Brit Modeller at the moment with lots of extra detail being added.  Just starting a Revell Tornado ADV at the moment so looking for any build tips.

13 hours ago, jonbryon said:

Yep, I am well aware of that and fixed it. I still think the transition from the (approximately) circular to square section is over-pronounced, and looks worse on the ADV kit.

Jon

I've not started the kit yet, and found it hard to buy one. Yet I read on here that is was supposed to be a nice kit. I bought it on a whim. Trying to figure out just what to build, let alone what was an F.3 Tornado I came across this group of guys that are really into the Tornado like some guys are into Phantoms. They pretty much gave it a thumbs up. The nose did come up, and it passed inspection with flying colors. Only serious complaint was the main landing gear wheels being undersized, but it turns out that the German version used different wheels and tires. Take a look at the Tornado S.I.G.

gary

1 hour ago, ChesshireCat said:

I've not started the kit yet, and found it hard to buy one. Yet I read on here that is was supposed to be a nice kit. I bought it on a whim. Trying to figure out just what to build, let alone what was an F.3 Tornado I came across this group of guys that are really into the Tornado like some guys are into Phantoms. They pretty much gave it a thumbs up. The nose did come up, and it passed inspection with flying colors. Only serious complaint was the main landing gear wheels being undersized, but it turns out that the German version used different wheels and tires. Take a look at the Tornado S.I.G.

gary

Fair enough; it's my perception and I may be wrong.

What is documented to be wrong with the kit is relatively minor, and includes the top of the fin being the wrong shape, the heat exchanger at the base of the fin being the wrong shape and the wings not sweeping forward enough. I'm also not alone in thinking the wing gloves aren't quite right and that the gun ports are not the right shape, but the latter is on the IDS and may have been fixed for the ADV.

A useful thread is here: https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234966619-revell-148th-raf-tornado-gr1a/&

Jon