Tamiya M1A1 Abrams With Mine Plow

Hello all,

Here are some shots of my quick build Tamiya 1/35 M1A1 Abrams with mine plow. The kit has been in my stash since it was released...so it's suffered long enough. While surpassed by newer and more accurate Abrams kits,  it certainly "looks" like an Abrams. Besides, I needed a quick build to jump start my modeling mojo and this kit fit the bill. I have been getting bogged down on a couple of my Tiger builds and find that sometimes stepping back and just building something completely OOB gets the enthusiasm flowing again. I started this model last Wednesday and have gotten to the initial decaling and weathering stages. I still have the chains to rig on the mine plow, the mine plow power cord to thread through the removed right drivers vision block (which was how pictures show it rather then through an open drivers hatch as Tamiya would have you do it), bustle rack stowage... lots of stowage, an ID plate to make for the back middle of the bustle rack,  figures to paint (yikes!), track blocks need to be painted black, and obviously decals and a little more weathering (but nothing too crazy). My Abrams will depict an M1A1 from Operation Desert Storm.

Thanks for looking! Feel free to comment.

Regards.

Don

IMG_20180507_124319640_HDR_2.jpg

IMG_20180507_124347749_HDR_2.jpg

IMG_20180507_124425637_HDR_2.jpg

IMG_20180507_124347749_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180507_124230417_HDR_2.jpg

IMG_20180507_124440886_HDR_2.jpg

Thanks Memphis! Yeah, I agree that she's a little on the clean side right now but I'll add some chipping, some streaks and dust. I tend to not get too carried away with weathering my armor. I prefer a used but not abused look. Thanks again for taking the time to look and comment :thumbsup:!

Regards,

Don

Looks like a good start.  A couple things that need attention though.  It looks like you missed all the vision blocks around the Commander's Weapons Station (CWS).  They should all be iridescent red as well.

The front mud flaps should be black rubber. 

us_army_m_1481700624.jpg

Also, the center hub covers on the road wheels should be a black brown color.  They are actually clear and filled with oil.

m1a1_details_418_of_435.jpg

m1a2_details_015_of_125.jpg

HeavyArty...thanks for the pictures and tips! I have read info that you have provided to other modelers over the years here and elsewhere and its always good stuff :thumbsup:! Much appreciated. The pictures will definitely come in handy. Good eye on the vision blocks too! For the vision blocks I use red gift wrap ribbon cut to size (a trick I got off of YouTube). I left them off until the end so that they don't get ruined during the weathering and clear flat coat(s). The loaders and drivers hatches are just placed on the Abrams in my earlier photos so they (the red ribbons) will avoid the brunt of the weathering. Also, glad you jogged my memory on those black mud flaps...I honestly had forgotten them like an idiot :doh:.

Thanks for the comments and your time.

Regards,

Don