CorsairMan is going to Nats!

I've been thinking about it for a while.  I think this is not only the best opportunity for me to go - but a great opportunity to do and see a lot of things while I am there.  I have been to Phoenix a few times but never in the summer.  I am really looking forward to it.

Any tips for a first time show-goer?

Comfortable shoes.  Lists. Cash. 

Other than that, here's a couple of thoughts. Beyond the models, the people you will meet are one of the best things about Nationals. The effort you make to talk to people, introduce yourself, ask questions and just generally connect will be what you remember in the years to come. 

The models will be amazing. That's a given. While you are trying like crazy to photograph every angle of the ones that interest you, put the phone or camera down and just take time to look. Take in everything about a model with your eyes and not a photo. It will help your own building, your memory of what's in front of you, and the experience of seeing something so amazing. Better than any picture ever will. There is no substitute for first person 3D. You'll get it. 

Cash. 

Rick L. 

9 hours ago, Spruemeister said:

Other than that, here's a couple of thoughts. Beyond the models, the people you will meet are one of the best things about Nationals. The effort you make to talk to people, introduce yourself, ask questions and just generally connect will be what you remember in the years to come. 

The models will be amazing. That's a given. While you are trying like crazy to photograph every angle of the ones that interest you, put the phone or camera down and just take time to look. Take in everything about a model with your eyes and not a photo. It will help your own building, your memory of what's in front of you, and the experience of seeing something so amazing. Better than any picture ever will. There is no substitute for first person 3D. You'll get it. 

Cash. 

Rick L. 

What he said...

Any show is about so much much more than just viewing models on the tables. The people, the community, the vibe, the experience. A couple of my own thoughts - no matter how hard you try, you will never see everything. You can guarantee that you'll see photos after the show of models you completely missed. Take the time to kick back occasionally and just absorb the vibe of the show. Don't be intimidated by the quality of the models in the contest. By definition, the National Contest attracts the best that a modeller can build, not what the general standard of the hobby might be. Contest quality models are something to aspire to, not something that should define the benchmark for your own standards. Modelling is fun - never lose sight of that fundamental truth.

Regards,

John

Don’t plan on spending too much time outside.  Phoenix in 

August is hot.  Especially for those of us who reside in the Northern climes. 

Edited by okthree

I went to the 2009 NATS in Columbus and ... WOW!

But I echo what the other posters have said. It was terrific to meet the guys I just knew online and I've kept up the camaraderie. Plus I won three 3rd places!!

There were over 2500 models on the tables and it ... was ... overwhelming! Ask the modellers how they did something ... I did and was not ever disappointed with their attitude. They answered all my questions pleasantly and I've kept all those tips in mind.

Attend some seminars and by all means attend the banquet ... the food, well ... nothing special, but the 3 hour presentations were a hoot!

You'll never forget the experience!

Pete

(near Niagara Falls)

I went to the one in Columbia a couple years back.  I regret not bringing more cash.  I only had enough to get in the door and pick up a couple items from Eduard.  They offer deep show discounts.  BRING CASH! MORE THAN YOU EXPECT TO NEED!  I was lucky enough to find a couple of dealers/vendors that took either CC or PayPal.  I simply PP'd them the funds and showed them my phone where it was sent.

I only met a couple of the guys I know from online.  It was a great experience.  If you are flying in, you might want to have some sort of shipping home to yourself arranged or look into it. Never know what kind of big kits you might luck on to. 

On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 10:14 PM, Spruemeister said:

Rick L. 

A good camera phone or camera with plenty of sim cards and batteries.....

• 5 months later...