Plastic only kits availability

Hi all,

odd question. I am looking for 1/48th P-51 models, but just the plastic. Something like the Eduard Overtrees. I have tons of decals and I don't really need the instructions...just the plastic.

Is there any source out there for this, and why don't more companies do this? 

If I know I am going to build a kit with aftermarket decals, It would be beneficial for a manufacturer to direct sell a number of sprue only kits. Or someone like Sprue Brothers...make a deal to buy extra sprues, and sell them as is. 

If there is no source for these, does anyone know a decent place to get a cheap P-51? I have been casing micheals with the 40% coupon but they never seem to have one. Gonna hit big lots Hobby Lobby when I am in the US in a few weeks..but I will have to see what I find.

Sean

Edited by martin_sam_2000
13 hours ago, martin_sam_2000 said:

It would be beneficial for a manufacturer to direct sell a number of sprue only kits.

Actually, no; it would cost time and labor to have what amounts to a second packaging production line for minimal sales volume.

Don’t bother checking Hobby Lobby for 1/48 Mustang kits, I haven’t seen any there in a long time. You will find the ancient Revell 1/32 P-51B, the Squadron pre-painted 1/72 P-51D, and the Academy 1/144 P-51D. 

But no Mustangs in 1/48. 

Ebay should answer your call. 

Depending on brand you're looking for, you can get Revell 1/48 P-51D for CDN 13, ICM for USD 13, Hobby Boss for USD 12,99, Testor for USD 3,25, Hasegawa for USD 20+, Tamiya for USD 20+

So I wouldn't worry about getting a kit without decals, with these prices you can bin the kit decals any day. 

7 hours ago, habu2 said:

Don’t bother checking Hobby Lobby for 1/48 Mustang kits, I haven’t seen any there in a long time. You will find the ancient Revell 1/32 P-51B, the Squadron pre-painted 1/72 P-51D, and the Academy 1/144 P-51D. 

But no Mustangs in 1/48. 

Thanks for the heads up. I noticed the selection was a little sparse the past few times I swung by one in Michigan. I was hoping it was a regional thing.

1 hour ago, Niels said:

Ebay should answer your call. 

Depending on brand you're looking for, you can get Revell 1/48 P-51D for CDN 13, ICM for USD 13, Hobby Boss for USD 12,99, Testor for USD 3,25, Hasegawa for USD 20+, Tamiya for USD 20+

So I wouldn't worry about getting a kit without decals, with these prices you can bin the kit decals any day. 

The issue with ebay is that the shipping charges are ridiculous. $13 for a kit, but $17 for shipping. at $29 at micheals, im better off to use a $40 or $50 coupon and try my luck

Sean 

I like the testors/hawk kit for this. Straight out of the box. Don't get me wrong, I have some Tamiya, Revell, monogram, and ICM D model mustangs, but for those where I just need a pallete for the dozens of decal sheets I have, it fits the bill nicely.

It's cheap, outline is generally accurate, fits well and engraving is nicely done. No cockpit, wheel well detail though, but on my shelf I don't really care, and have other kits to fit that bill. I just concentrate on finish.

When patient, I can generally get one off eBay for about $10 shipped.

For B models, I have some Tamiya, monogram, and AM kits, but I also like the Pegasus snap kit. Again, little interior detail, but the fit is fantastic, surface detail is nice enough, and I have got these for $10-13 shipped. Perfect as a pallette for all those decal sheets. Just look up the build on hyperscale to see what these can look like out of the box.

Doesn't eduard have plans to do a P-51D? I'm sure they'll make over trees available when/if they get to it. I'm still waiting for the S-199...

Charlie

Edited by Charlie D.