Wingman 1/48 AH-64D-I Saraf conversion

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Jon,

Did look for the same set. I know that it was formely a set from Isracast. 

Wingman Models seems that they are not taking here bisiness very seriously.

I know that some modeling shops don't do bisiness again with Wingman.

So I did ask Isracast if they could bring out the set again. And they did send me an 

E-mail that they'll look for an updated set at the end of this year.

Greetings from the Netherlands, Twan

I had this set when it was Isracast. I was not impressed. Really variable casting, particularly in respect of some of the splits in the mould leaving parts with huge ridges needing to be filled and sanded. The drop tanks were the worst offenders, being all but useless, but other parts showed the same problem. The spine countermeasures dispenser was a pretty horrible fit too. My model ended up boxed and forgotten when I ran out of enthusiasm for the fight!

Thanks for the feedback. I can live without the drop tanks, but I'll bear this in mind if the set is ever re-released or I come across it second hand.

Cheers

Jon

• 1 month later...
On 6/2/2018 at 8:07 AM, Dmanton300 said:

I had this set when it was Isracast. I was not impressed. Really variable casting, particularly in respect of some of the splits in the mould leaving parts with huge ridges needing to be filled and sanded. The drop tanks were the worst offenders, being all but useless, but other parts showed the same problem. The spine countermeasures dispenser was a pretty horrible fit too. My model ended up boxed and forgotten when I ran out of enthusiasm for the fight!

I thought I'd give a bit of feedback on the Wingman Models version, now I have it in my hands. Obviously I have no idea about fit (I intend to build this conversion sometime in 2019, maybe 2020).

There are two resin types used. The tanks and wings are in a yellow resin; the remaining parts are in grey.

The casting is of average quality, i.e. not as good as Aires, Brassin or Hypersonic, but better than DMold or Komplekt Zip. The only real areas of concern to me are the seams around the ball shaped protrusions on the wings, but they will clean up fine; it's just a bit of flash. The tanks are fine, although the surface detail is ever so slightly soft. There are no seam lines at all or moulding flaws on the drop tanks.

The decals look okay - not as good as Wingman's aftermarket sets, like the Luftwaffe Alpha Jet set I paid a fortune for - but perfectly acceptable. The PE looks good.

This is a very complete package and I'm looking forward to trying in out alongside a regular US Army Apache.

Jon