Does anyone happen to have any detailed pics of a DC-130A APU area? Particularly, I'm looking for photos of the intake and exhaust openings. I think early C-130Es had a similar set up, except the intake doors opened outward I believe?? I'm getting ready to build a 1/48 DC-130, so it's not like the area will not be noticeable. Thank you.

15818433510_fefb469b4e_b_-_Copy.jpg

This is about the best photo I can find on-line, and it just doesn't show the details to good enough effect. (Photo credit as noted):

DSC_3356_BQM-34_S_DC-130_A_570497_VX-30_

Edited by 82Whitey51
  • 3 weeks later...

That is actually a GTC (Gas Turbine Compressor)...the forward door that's open is the intake...the square hole above the oval is the GTC compartment cooling exhaust and the oval below it is the GTC exhaust. Don't walk anywhere near there when it's running! GTC can only be run on the ground. Later H model's with an APU it could be started inflight for emergency power. 

On 5/25/2018 at 7:38 PM, aircommando130 said:

That is actually a GTC (Gas Turbine Compressor)...the forward door that's open is the intake...the square hole above the oval is the GTC compartment cooling exhaust and the oval below it is the GTC exhaust. Don't walk anywhere near there when it's running! GTC can only be run on the ground. Later H model's with an APU it could be started inflight for emergency power. 

Thanks for the info. Did that forward door open and close on the DC-130A? I know the C-130E had a set of doors that opened outward. But it appears that the set up on the DC-130A is an angled opening that is permanent. Any idea where I might come across pics or drawings of this ?

• 3 weeks later...

The early DC-103A's had the same GTC double inlet doors. At some point it looks like the Navy went to a permanent fixed open inlet for the GTC and I would be interested in the reason why. I can't help with details of the fixed open GTC inlet though.

DC-103A USAF

DC-130A USAF a

DC-130A USN

Cheers,

John

23 minutes ago, CF104 said:

The early DC-103A's had the same GTC double inlet doors. At some point it looks like the Navy went to a permanent fixed open inlet for the GTC and I would be interested in the reason why. I can't help with details of the fixed open GTC inlet though.

DC-103A USAF

DC-130A USAF a

DC-130A USN

Cheers,

John

Thanks John. I think the VX-30 DC-130As were the only ones to have that type of inlet design, and I'm thinking it was a late mod towards the end of their careers there. I can't find photos of any other C-130s that have that same looking GTC inlet. I am going to build aircraft "0497" from around 2003 when it participated in OIF. I think I can modify the kit just fine with the photos I have.