Question about Re-scribing Panel Lines

Hi guys, was wondering if you can help me.   I came across a thread here in ARC somewhere -- where the modeler mentioned (with a photo) about his favorite tape (not Dymo)  when rescribing.    I took note of it mentally, and was quite sure I'd remember -- then promptly forgot.   I failed to note down the link to his build thread and search doesn't turn up the thread I'm looking for.   Does anyone remember reading that thread or can anyone point me in the right direction?  Thanks in advance!

PS.   I'm quite sure it wasn't Tamiya tape but some other kind  -- vinyl?  Really couldn't recall what it was    : (

I don't know where I came across this, but one modeler used Tamiya tape and put vinyl electrical tape on top of it and cut strips of that combo to scribe against. The vinyl tape gave it more of a raised edge. And the bottom layer of the Tamiya tape  kept things  a bit cleaner.

HTH

bob

I used artist’s tape (http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/255496-172-f-102/&do=findComment&comment=2434518) as it is very flexible for curves. I bought mine from Staples I think but should be easy to find elsewhere. 

Tamiya tape actually works fine too but if you need significant in-plane curves, the artists tape is better. 

I've used Testors Masking tape.it is a plastic tape, very thin, very smooth edge. Relatively low tack. Takes curves pretty well. Not being as thick as something like Dymo label, you have to start out very lightly. It is also not good at being reused after lifting it up, but is very good a doing curves due to its smooth edge.

https://www.amazon.com/TESTORS-8869-Masking-Assortment-TESR8869/dp/B007KMW5NQ

Very valuable suggestions -- thanks, guys.    I'm going to give them a try.   I hope someday there'll be a product called Tamiya Scribing Tape : )    I currently use Dymo tape which I find a bit thick, too tacky (have to stick onto Tamiya tape) and difficult to form curves with unless cut into thin strips -- at which point it becomes difficult to stick on.   

• 4 weeks later...

Also, a good scribing tool helps a bunch. For straight lines, I use a Mr. paint scriber. I find it scribes lines a lot better than the trumpeter scriber. For curves, I still use a needle in a pin code.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the recommendations : )    That qline tape and the gundam stuff look interesting!   One odd thing i noticed is that even while using a guide tape there are sections of putty (even if smooth and dry) where the pin seems to have a mind of its own and follows another direction, no matter how hard I try to keep it along the tape edge.  I also still have issues with the solid putty crumbling when rescribed.   Someone said spraying primer helped a lot in scribing smoothly over puttied-up sections.   Can't wait to give it a try.

Scribing through putty is always problematic. Priming the area can help. I make sure to use a fine grained putty like Tamiya white. Some use super glue to fill areas instead of putty as it scribes better than putty. I have found using a very fine razor saw is often more successful. Start very lightly and gently saw the panel line through the puttied area.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Thanks Richard

going to order and try a roll for scribing 

Peter

I ordered some too.

Also, I thought I would mention another product that I am very impressed with. I just got one of John Vojtech's (of UMM) scribing tools and what a difference it makes. One can scribe straight lines without using a straight edge. It makes scribing almost effortless. I am truly impressed with this tool. It is by far the best scribing tool I have ever tried, not that I am any kind of expert at scribing and, in fact, I usually struggle just to try to get even, consistent, lines.