Building Hasegawa Tomcats in the age of Tamiya

So I got two 1/48 Hasegawa Tomcats in the stash (A and B). Just bought a Tamiya A (still shrink-wrapped). I've had grand plans for each. I plan to start with the Tamiya kit. 

But now, it's dawning on me that I may have no motivation to even attempt the Hasegawa cats after Tamiya. I am trying to trick myself into thinking that I must build at least one Hase cat in my lifetime out of respect for my dream of building one for the last 24 years. Starting with the Hase kit to get it out of the way is not an option for me right now. 

If you're in the same boat, please share your thoughts on whether now you have mental block with the Hasegawa, how much is a Hase tomcat worth to you etc. Two simple questions:

(1) If you have built both brands, would you ever build another Hase? Assume Tamiya A, D, late A, and B are all out and available. What are your criteria/parameters? 

(2) At this point, would you send me your Tamiya A in exchange for a Hase F-14A Black Knights history (inner bags sealed, with WolfPack late wheels, early 2-grill gun vent) + a Hase F-14B (with MicroScale 48-1009 decals). If yes, please contact me*.  If no, please describe what is your exchange ratio between the two. E.g. 3 shrinkwrapped Hase for 1 Tamiya. 

*Yes, I apologize for this plug. It is both to understand where people stand with the two kits and, if any takers, to facilitate a trade.

I dont have any F-14 Tomcat. But I can draw an analogy. 

I have a two seat Hasegawa F-16 lying in my stash for than a decade. I wanted to build it. But then came Tamiya's F-16 in 2007. Ever since then, I have tried couple of times to reach in, grab the Hasegawa F-16D but found no motivation to build it. Hasgawa F-16 looks so out dated and shallow on details. Tamiya F-16 as you might know is just a fabulous kit in comparison. 

Wow Janissary only two Hasegawa Tomcats? I have like six but since Tamiya not getting any more Hasegawa ones. I think I only paid full price for one of them when they first came out so many years ago. The others were got at good prices. To be honest I think I will still build at least one of them to say that I did and then I can compare it to the Tamiya version which should prove a better experience? Also, now with Hasegawa kit prices out of this world I don't think I can even afford one. Plus there is no local hobby shop where I live that even carries Hasegawa kits and I would have to mail order. Not happening.

After all the reviews I have read about the Tamiya Tomcat I really am excited to start it but got to temper my enthusiasm and do the Hasegawa one first.

The only reason I will build another Hasegawa Tomcat is so I can have one of each manufacturer's kits in my collection. After that last one, there will be no more Hasegawa Tomcats. They just aren't worth the hassle. Now Monogram Tomcats, on the other hand....

3 minutes ago, Darren Roberts said:

The only reason I will build another Hasegawa Tomcat is so I can have one of each manufacturer's kits in my collection. After that last one, there will be no more Hasegawa Tomcats. They just aren't worth the hassle. Now Monogram Tomcats, on the other hand....

Good one Darren, I like your reasoning. I too have built the Monogram Tomcat and enjoyed it thoroughly and even have a couple more in my stash. I even started a Fujimi one years ago but could not finish it. I think it was something with the plastic that was bugging me.

I have 3 Hasegawa kits I bought only for the decals. I have only ever built the Hasegawa F-14 to completion once and was so bitterly disappointed in the experience that I only bought them again for markings the aftermarket didn't offer (yet). I plan on at some point parting with them sans decals for more Tamiya Tomcat money. Especially after their D comes out.

Have 6 left to build. Have 8 decals in hand ready to go. 3 1/32 Tamiyas ready to go. Just lack of time. Have the 1 1/48 Tamiya. Its the only one I am not sure which markings its going to get. So many other kits ahead in line right now.

I don't wanna build the Hasegawa anymore!... Sold off a few but till have 7 or 8 in the stash and the full AM to support it - Aires, BB, Verlinden, Gfactor, Wolfpack, Eduard, Royale Resin, and a pretty healthy amount of Fightertown Decals! Every time I think I'll hold onto and build the Hasegawa kit it's because of tail specific markings and AM, then I decide, I'll just make the markings for the Tamiya and save myself all the effort. I'm sure someday I'll build a Hasegawa for the nostalgia of it... These days, any building I'll do is about the ease and enjoyment. The Hasegawa isn't nearly as bad as everyone says once you figure out how to build it, but it just doesn't compare to the Tamiya kit (and hopefully the AMK one when it comes out)

-brian

I've built 3 Hasegawa Cats in my time. Each took about 7-10 months due to hassles with one thing or another, most notably the intakes and gear bays. also getting the nose and front fuselage fitted. On 2 I added a resin pit...cause I like to torture myself.....As for wil I ever again. NO NEVER EVER! I just sold off 5 kits all with Aires or black box/true details pits. 30$ ea.  Awesome price  I thought and hope the buyers did as well. Honestly I just wanted them gone. I still have a Hasegawa Partially done. that will NEVER be touched again. I have one unbuilt but  I did a paint demo on it at our club but its spoken for along with an Aires pit. I also sold off  5.for a bit more and w/o the extras, I think that was over a year ago. I still have my Hobby Boss kits which are okay but have not yet decided what to do with them. All I know for now It's all Tamiya...then add in a couple of AMK F-14D's when that gets released 

So my Tomcat ratio.

Way Way More than I should of bought or will ever admit to buying but It is a LOT  to a dwindling few.

So would I send you a Tamiya For a Hasegawa  Yes the terms are this  You send me 50.00 and the kit and extras and I'll send you the Tamiya Kit...LOL

I'll get 30.00 for what you send me and have 80.00 in my pocket to buy a Tamiya D ... So from that now you know how I feel about the Hasegawa Cat as compared to the Tamiya

offering..

Honestly the Hasegawa kit builds into a beautiful replica but it takes a substantial amount of time and effort. Me I'm not willing to put in the time....

So there you have my 1/10cents worth

BTW did you get my PM on the VF-142 decals

I've got two. One that I used to get parts to backdate a Tamiya kit and another that is the Wolfpack boxing, just in case I don't ever get early VF-1 decals resized for the Tamiya kit. I will then, reluctantly, attempt to build the Hasegawa kit.

I have built two Hasegawas and one Tamiya Tomcat.  I have quite a few Hasegawa Tomcats left in the stash as well.  I plan to build all of them, as I have learned a lot from my two builds so far and the last one only took me a month to build.  It is really not such a beast to build if you deviate from the instructions in several key areas.  I have so many Tomcat schemes I want to do that it doesn't make sense for me to get rid of the ones I already have, and if I find really good deals on Hasegawa Tomcats I would still buy them, assuming they have the late A parts or are a B variant.

I will be buying each Tamiya and AMK F-14 variant kit released going forward as well (have 2 AMK on preorder and will get a Tamiya D as soon as it is available), but only Hasegawa kits if the price is right...

As for your exchange inquiry, I would probably not do 2 for 1.  For me, 3:1 would be a good enough of a deal that I would bite, but I do understand that it would tilt heavily in my favor as far as value is concerned.

Having built one from a collection of over 30 and now all sold I would not take 30 Hasegawa kits for one Tamiya Cat.

Modelling is “supposed”(lol) to be relaxing and enjoyable and thats exactly what the Tamiya F-14 is.

Cant say the same for the Hasegawa F-14.

I have seen some great builds over the years and it looks the part but why put yourself through it now when the Tamiya kit is like a simple joy to build and a testament to what Tamiya stands for.

They put fun back into aurcraft that are traditionally very difficult to build and allow you to get into the painting which on F-14’s is to me where enjoyment really lies..

But real men build Hasegawa Tomcats 😆😜 

I enjoy the process and with the Hasegawa Tomcat, it is a process. I will always remember fondly the 6-8hr nightly modeling sessions where I only got a few pieces put together and the long times figuring out how to best put it together  the triumph of finding the correct way to build them and the parts trimmed or removed to make it fit like it should. Adding those special touches like riveted wingsweep bags and rear engine panels...  

And never do that again!

11 minutes ago, seawinder said:

Just wondering: how many 1/48 Tomcats have people built, and how many more do they realistically intend to complete in their lifetimes?

Already built 2 and have 2 working right now. I will build  A LOT hopefully one from each squadron that flew them. Honestly I'd like to do 40 A/B/D versions combined...I figure 4 a year will get me there by the time I'm 60

The Tamiya F-16 is also one of my Fav's so far I've have built ....🤔 I can't remember... maybe 10 and still have 18 or so in the stash to do plus a few Kinetic and Hasegawa kit's

I'm ambitious....

2 hours ago, seawinder said:

Just wondering: how many 1/48 Tomcats have people built, and how many more do they realistically intend to complete in their lifetimes?

I’ve built one and have two more in the stash.  Next Tamiya cat won’t make the bench in 2018, but hopefully next year!

Steve

I've built several Hasegawa Tomcats over the years and I still have one left. I also have a partially built Tamiya one that  I'll get back to when the Tomcat bug eventually bites again . But given the amount of effort required to make the Hasegawa Tomcat look half decent coupled with the release of the Tamiya kit and the pending release of the AMK one I honestly don't think I'll get around to it. I just don't have enough free time these days to tackle that kit.

Ok. So I will hold on to my Hasegawa A and maybe get to it in the future. I will use the B for parts like ECM bumps for the Tamiya A. The Tamiya's nose still bugs me a little (too pointy). I think Hsegawa's nose looks much much better. Oh well....

13 hours ago, seawinder said:

A lot. 😂 I figure I've broken the 100 mark, or soon will. I've built 5 Tamiya kits, a number of Hasegawa kits, a few Revell (old), Fujimi, Academy, and Italeri, and dozens upon dozens of Monogram kits.

13 hours ago, seawinder said:

So far I have probably built 40. That's in 18 years of my "modern" building career. Of those 40, easily 30 of them were the Academy kits with maybe various conversions. It took me a lot of time to become uncomfortable with the errors on that model and I haven't built an Academy Tomcat in about 7 years.

The right kit can give me a lot of energy to build and for a long while, the Academy kit was it. The Tamiya F-14 series is exactly what I have been waiting for, and the only reason I haven't been grinding out 5 a year is due to the limits of the original release. I plan on building 64 F-14s of all types. I'm 38 this coming Wednesday, so I should have time. The engineering and excitement I have for Tamiya's product will make it that much easier to accomplish this goal.

Please critique:

The frustration with the Hasegawa IMO is not what assembly steps to take. It seems it would be getting the details crisper (rescribing all the faint lines). Some tips and tricks I picked up over the years based on other builds:

1. Kit cockpit instrument panels don't line up, need some trimming. Don't commit to glue prematurely.
  2. Attach the beaver tail's upper half to the upper fuselage first. Then do the same for the lower halves. Then join the two upper/lower halves.
  3. Wings: When putting the upper/lower wing halves together, add a little shim to the area to the front of where the pivot is. This will make the wings slightly thicker at the pivot around the glove vane. This will help lose the unsightly gap between the wings and the fuselage. OR: Sand down the upper/lower glove vanes where they meet so that the gap is minimized. 
  4. NACA vents: Sand one side down a little so that the corners are pointy/crisp rather than curvy. Then fill the gap with putty or styrene strip. Same with the ladder panel.
  5. Assemble the outer intake trunks first to the lower fuselage. Then attach the inner side of the trunks (the two pieces towards the engine face) and sand everything down. Only after all of those do attach the lower/upper fuselage halves.
  6. Make sure the forward edges of the intake trunks (around the 'jet intake' warning) are securely attached to the lower fuselage. Otherwise, they have a tendency to crack/break when putting together the upper and lower fuselage halves.
  7. If closing the canopy, make sure not to use a lot of PE like canopy railings on the inside. The canopy may not sit flush with the fuselage otherwise. 
  8. Don't fully assemble to left/half halves of the front fuselage. Leave the upper rear side (the small section by the TACAN) unglued. May need to insert a shim later to make it fit the main fuselage. 

Are there more? Assuming we have a complete list of this sort, I think the frustration would be with the faint panel line details. Thoughts? 

Edit: Correction and addition.

Edited by Janissary

I like the Hasegawa nose shape better too.   I lined up the Tamiya forward fuselage half with some 1/48 scale plans and the nose is 2mm too narrow in diameter vertically at the base of the radome   (question though is if those plans are correct. Someone did mention that Tamiya took measurements of the actual aircraft).  Some Hasegawa kits have issues with the canopy being too wide and don't line up with the sill.  Both of my Tomcats had that issue and I had to sand the frames down.  In the end I had to squeeze the sides of the canopy together and glued them on.  But just as I was feeling proud of having successfully sealed the cockpit off, some specks of dust found their way in , probably through the intakes or some other opening and stuck themselves onto the insides of the canopy glass which is now impossible to clean.  I stared at the dust specks for the longest time trying to melt them using telekinesis to no avail.     Hasegawa cats, too,  have thick shoulders (glove vane areas) -- as mentioned in the AMK thread.   It's difficult to unsee once see it and all the work of filing, puttying and sanding and rescribing will just make you wish you  were building a Tamiya. 

Edited by crackerjazz