Building Hasegawa Tomcats in the age of Tamiya

Thanks for this thread, it's very revealing.

Ive just sold one of my three Hasegawa cats, having one A and one D, my D model has a damaged upper fuselage that I've tried to get replaced, no luck getting it from the UK stockist though. I've been thinking of approaching the USA stockist but not sure who to approach or if it's worth it?

You guys haven't touched on the Hobbyboss kits, I've got a few of these. How do they stack against the Hasegawa and Tamiya kits? I've yet to get an A model Tamiya kit but am looking forward to the D and the AMK models coming out.

The HB kits were, of course, newer technology than the Hase kits, so engineering and fit are better. But they have a laundry list of their own issues. The intakes, boarding steps, and a myriad of other shape problems and inaccurate details plague the HB. As an ASE geek, I was annoyed that there were no pilot figures (a hot button issue with me, offering the option to build the plane in a configuration where the crew must be in the cockpit and yet having no crew in the box). I thuroughly enjoyed building the one HB Tomcat I built, but regret using the decals I did on it.

4 hours ago, Wafu said:

Thanks for this thread, it's very revealing.

Ive just sold one of my three Hasegawa cats, having one A and one D, my D model has a damaged upper fuselage that I've tried to get replaced, no luck getting it from the UK stockist though. I've been thinking of approaching the USA stockist but not sure who to approach or if it's worth it?

You guys haven't touched on the Hobbyboss kits, I've got a few of these. How do they stack against the Hasegawa and Tamiya kits? I've yet to get an A model Tamiya kit but am looking forward to the D and the AMK models coming out.

I still think the HB kit has the best out of box cockpit. As mentioned, there are other issues, depending on what's important to you. My ranking as of this moment of all 1/48 Tomcats is as follows:

1. Tamiya - hands down

2/3. HB/Hasegawa - depends on if you value accuracy or ease of build

4. Revell/Monogram

5. Academy

6. Italeri

7. Fujimi

8. Original Revell

When the AMK kit is released, I suspect it will displace the HB and Hasegawa kits for second. The big question is if it can displace Tamiya for the top spot. 

I find myself in the same boat when it comes to 1/48 F-4s. The new Z-M Phantoms are much better than the Hasegawa kits, so what do I do with the handful of the latter currently in my stash?

I’ve decided to keep them. They’re still good kits, and the gods know I have tons of decals awaiting application to a model...any model. At the very least, the Hasegawa kits will go together fairly easily and will look good on the shelf, even next to a Z-M kit.

Steven Brown
On 5/10/2018 at 8:03 PM, seawinder said:

Just wondering: how many 1/48 Tomcats have people built, and how many more do they realistically intend to complete in their lifetimes?

Two: One NSAWC, and one Topgun. Now AFV F-5E/F's on the other hand..... 30+ 😀 I've already got 8 of them done with two more in the pipeline now.! Fred K.

33 minutes ago, f5guy said:

Now AFV F-5E/F's on the other hand..... 30+ 😀 I've already got 8 of them done with two more in the pipeline now.! Fred K.

These are fantastic kits. I only have ten, but I’m always on the hunt for more. I sure wished AFV had upscale these kits to 1/32 especially now after hearing about the issues with the KH kit. 

Edited by Ichitoe
30 minutes ago, Ichitoe said:

These are fantastic kits. I only have ten, but I’m always on the hunt for more. I sure wished AFV had upscale these kits to 1/32 especially now after hearing about the issues with the KH kit. 

If you have any leftover AFV F-5 horizontal tailplanes, I’m in desperate need for one I lost. 

Cheers 

Collin

Hasegawa was the top 1/48 F-14 for a long time...
Hobby Boss, waste their chance to make a better 1/48 Tomcat.
Now, Tamiya offer the best Tomcat, and AMK is still a promisse, I think AMK will come with some addons in compare with Tamiya.

I have two Hasegawa TOMCATS, so I'm planning to finished with some of the spare parts from TAMIYA and AMK

Greetings...

5 hours ago, Jonathan_Lotton said:

Hasegawa is going to become the hipster choice of Tomcat models..

"Oh Tamiya and AMK? Nah, that's too easy..real model builders go with Hasegawa because of list of nonsensical and arbitrary reasons I just made up"

Hand me my starbucks.

14 hours ago, Ichitoe said:

No joke! I'd still be happy if AFV scaled their F-5E/F down to 1/72nd scale though. Currently the best kit is the ancient Italeri kit. As far as the 32nd KH kit, I have one, and its totally buildable. It just needs a few tweeks. Fred K.

I am in almost exactly the same boat. I have wanted to build the Hasegawa Tomcat for quite a while, I have one, and ended up with a Tamiya Tomcat as well.  The Tamiya kit has pushed the Hasegawa further down the queue, I like the F-14, but it is not as important to me as other subjects, so I will probably build the Tamiya kit first since it sounds like it will be an easier build. 

Edited by Kurt H.
5 hours ago, Kurt H. said:

I am in almost exactly the same boat. I have wanted to build the Hasegawa Tomcat for quite a while, I have one, and ended up with a Tamiya Tomcat as well.  The Tamiya kit has pushed the Hasegawa further down the queue, I like the F-14, but it is not as important to me as other subjects, so I will probably build the Tamiya kit first since it sounds like it will be an easier build. 

That's exactly where I am.

Interesting how this topic has wandered, but not in a bad way.  I have just completed a HB F-14.  It has its shape problems,  but it builds well.  I threw and  early Hasegawa F-14 into the trash as it was over engineered and many of the parts (intake trunks) and wing flying surfaces and it just beat me trying to build it.  Yet I have seen many many outstanding Hasegawa F-14's built over the years.  The Monogram F-14 you know going in is going to take work, sanding and filling, but it is also very buildable and not hampered by having 300 parts.  The new Tamiya, well what more needs to be said, it is Tamiya.  I find the new Revell Tornado kits to be kind of like the Hasegawa F-14's - over engineered with poor instructions giving wrong part numbers or reversed parts, and some real challenges with the intakes.  Yet it can produce a world class Tornado.  Maybe a add on category here would be pinned good building references, techniques, for the major F-14 and so on kits.  A go to place for all things building and taming each of the F-14 kits so that all of us can learn how to build and solve some of these kits "issues"  

21 minutes ago, Darren Roberts said:

Oh, I would so take phantom down! 😁

Yeah.....right.😃

However, as your Monograms are SO easy compared to Hasegawa, perhaps 2 (or 3) of those kiddie😱 models should count towards the MANS kit.

1 hour ago, phantom said:

Yeah.....right.😃

However, as your Monograms are SO easy compared to Hasegawa, perhaps 2 (or 3) of those kiddie😱 models should count towards the MANS kit.

Now you're just trying to make excuses. ☺️