Need help identifying an AIM-9

I'm working on an F-15C (85-0118) of the Mass. ANG based at Barnes AFB in Westfield, MA as it appeared on 10/7/2011. I'm working from some of Ken Middleton's terrific photos, which show the planes carrying an AIM-9 on the outer port launcher. Unfortunately, most of Ken's photos are taken from the starboard side, so it's hard to get a full view of the Sidewinders. The best shot I've found in his flickr album is this one:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/34948319@N03/6141366729/in/album-72157616924315571/

I think it's an AIM-9X. Can anybody confirm this? Or is it an -L or -M?

Thanks!

Pip

Thank you; thought so. One perplexing thing looking at various photos is that the forward fins don't always seem to be the same. In the linked photo above, the rear edges angle back to the body, while other photos show 90 degree rear edges.

I think that is just perspective. I could be wrong of course, but I don't think there are any AIM-9x where the rear of the front fins is anything else than 90 degrees. In the image you posted, if you draw a line from tip to tip of the fins the line will match the rear edge.

29 minutes ago, Shadrik said:

I think that is just perspective. I could be wrong of course, but I don't think there are any AIM-9x where the rear of the front fins is anything else than 90 degrees. In the image you posted, if you draw a line from tip to tip of the fins the line will match the rear edge.

I think you're right, now that I look at it more closely. Thanks.

3 hours ago, Janissary said:

Aim9-X. Look at the strip running along the side of the body. I don't know what that is called, but that is an X. Like this, what he is holding:

aim-9-sidewinder-001.jpg

That's the "Wiring Harness Cover", it's for the wiring harness that connects the guidance section in the front to the control section (rear fins) in the back.

On the AIM-9X, the control fins are on the back of the missile, on all earlier Sidewinder variants, the control fins are on the front of the missile.

hth

GW

18 hours ago, BillS said:

The  X wasnt operational in 01 so probably an M or even a P.

IOC for AIM-9X on legacy Hornets was April 2003. AIM-9M was a completely different looking missile. The AIM-9P that was a USAF missile based on the AIM-9J, which was essentially an updated AIM-9B. Zero doubt, this is an AIM-9X.

On 5/11/2018 at 2:49 AM, seawinder said:

I'm working on an F-15C (85-0118) of the Mass. ANG based at Barnes AFB in Westfield, MA as it appeared on 10/7/2011. I'm working from some of Ken Middleton's terrific photos, which show the planes carrying an AIM-9 on the outer port launcher. Unfortunately, most of Ken's photos are taken from the starboard side, so it's hard to get a full view of the Sidewinders. The best shot I've found in his flickr album is this one:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/34948319@N03/6141366729/in/album-72157616924315571/

I think it's an AIM-9X. Can anybody confirm this? Or is it an -L or -M?

Thanks!

Pip

The Sidewinder loaded on the outboard station is an AIM-9X.