Good afternoon,

Does anybody by chance have a walkaround that they took of the rocket assisted C-130 that was in storage at Robins AFB? I would definitely be a challenge to model, but an interesting product. It sat out in the open for years, but seems to be in the process of disassembly currently and no longer accessible to the public.

I'd mostly be interesting in references of the modifications vs a standard C-130.

I appreciate any responses, cheers!

Hoops

• 2 weeks later...

The Credible Sport MC-130H's were built from 3 C-130H's from Dyess AFB. ( 74-2065, 74-1683, 74-1686) Lockheed modified them adding the C-141B air refueling slipway to the roof and the Combat Talon 1 TF radar behind a drone nose radome. An extended tail, split flaps and extended ailerons. Had 8 ASROC rockets in a pop out fairing that fired forward, 8 Shrike rocket motors above the landing gear, 8 MK-56 rockets aft to get it off the ground, 2 more Shrike rockets on wing pylons to correct yaw on takeoff, 2 more ASROC rockets under the tail behind the cargo door to help pitch it over after takeoff. They had configured the inside of the cargo compartment to brace it up for all those rockets and a double deck to haul out 150 total passengers (hostages and assault team) My old commander...Col Jerry Uttaro who flew the Desert 1 raid was the co-pilot on 74-1683 when it crashed when the forward firing deceleration rockets fired with the aircraft still in the air. Hope that gives you a better picture of the modifications. 

Cheers...Ron

• 1 month later...
On 5/25/2018 at 5:59 PM, aircommando130 said:

The Credible Sport MC-130H's were built from 3 C-130H's from Dyess AFB. ( 74-2065, 74-1683, 74-1686) Lockheed modified them adding the C-141B air refueling slipway to the roof and the Combat Talon 1 TF radar behind a drone nose radome. An extended tail, split flaps and extended ailerons. Had 8 ASROC rockets in a pop out fairing that fired forward, 8 Shrike rocket motors above the landing gear, 8 MK-56 rockets aft to get it off the ground, 2 more Shrike rockets on wing pylons to correct yaw on takeoff, 2 more ASROC rockets under the tail behind the cargo door to help pitch it over after takeoff. They had configured the inside of the cargo compartment to brace it up for all those rockets and a double deck to haul out 150 total passengers (hostages and assault team) My old commander...Col Jerry Uttaro who flew the Desert 1 raid was the co-pilot on 74-1683 when it crashed when the forward firing deceleration rockets fired with the aircraft still in the air. Hope that gives you a better picture of the modifications. 

Cheers...Ron

Thanks for the response, Ron.

I'm aware of the basics involved in the conversion, but there are a lot of small details that would be necessary to model the aircraft accurately. I was hoping that there might be somebody out there that had taken detailed pictures of it while on display before being stripped apart the last few years.

Cheers and happy modelling,

Hoops

• 4 years later...

Dutch Sir,

I believe that would be where this one (that was at Warner Robins AFB) was moved to.

I know 74-2065 was in line to be modified, but I worked on this one at Dyess.

One crashed when it rockets fired prematurely, so this is the last survivor.