Paint drying too fast out of airbrush

Hey all

I know that this topic probably has been covered 1000 times before, but I need help. I am using Testors enamel paint, thinned with Klean Stripe medium-drying lacquer thinner, and am shooting at about 25 psi through my Aztek airbrush. I've tried to thin the paint anywhere from 50/50 to 70/30 (thinner to paint) and seem to have the same problem...The paint is basically dry by the time it hits the model part, and leaves a gritty mess. 

What can I do to fix this? Any hints would be appreciated.

Aaron  

Lacquer thinners can be too fast drying for Testors enamels. I would try their own thinner, which is what I use, or a mineral spirits thinner. Gunze Mr Paint Leveling thinner may work but I have never tried it. It is very mild lacquer thinner that has a drying retarder included. I have had success in the distant past adding some Floguil Crystal Clear gloss to the paint and using lacquer thinner. It acted as a retarding agent to slow drying and gave the paint a satin finish, but Floquil railroad enamels are hard to find these days.

+1

Those big cans of lacquer thinner are only useful for cleaning your airbrush. Model Master airbrush thinner does a fine job. I thin all paints to the consistency of 1% milk and spray at 1 atmosphere. Paint in close, like 0.25 to 2 inches. Thin coats to build coverage. Watch the paint hitting the surface to ensure it's wet. 

10 hours ago, strikeeagle801 said:

I am shooting at about 25 psi through my Aztek airbrush.

Way too high of an air pressure in my opinion.  I would never go that high, even with a siphon feed airbrush.

10 hours ago, strikeeagle801 said:

I am using Testors enamel paint, thinned with Klean Stripe medium-drying lacquer thinner

Below is a picture showing the thinner I use, and the finish always turns out smoother than a baby's butt.

MM_Thinner.jpg.174ef20df7072b27e8c77097f69cd0a1.jpg

4 hours ago, RichardL said:

Way too high of an air pressure in my opinion.  I would never go that high, even with a siphon feed airbrush.

I usually spray about 10-15, but thought I would go higher to see if low pressure was the problem. Was just doing some trial and error, but wanted to include the pressure in the OP so you guys knew the exact conditions, and how to help. I appreciate the responses, and will be buying some Model Master thinner and/or mineral spirits today. 

Also, as mentioned above, you want to be fairly close to the model surface when spraying because the farther the distance, the more time the paint particles have to dry out before hitting their target.

Just a small update. I bought some Model Master thinner today, and tried again tonight. Complete 180 on the results. Dialed the pressure back down to 12-15ish, and the paint sprayed beautifully! I now much a bunch of hangy/pointy/explody thingies in various shades of green and gray ready for my 1/48 Tamiya F-16. 

Thank's for the help! 

Aaron 

• 2 months later...
On 5/12/2018 at 3:19 PM, dnl42 said:

+1

Those big cans of lacquer thinner are only useful for cleaning your airbrush. Model Master airbrush thinner does a fine job. I thin all paints to the consistency of 1% milk and spray at 1 atmosphere. Paint in close, like 0.25 to 2 inches. Thin coats to build coverage. Watch the paint hitting the surface to ensure it's wet. 

Agreed, that's the trick - low pressure and especially well thinned so it spreads over the surface before starting to dry. You need to try to immerse the model. What also help me is getting the room as clean as possible which I do is closing the windows and vaporising water to pull dust and other contaminents out of the air.

HTH