Grumman A-6A Intruder, VA-35 Black Panthers, USS Enterprise 1966

It is finally finished!
This became a somewhat bigger project than I had anticipated and a bit of my folly shines through.
My first thought with this kit was that "I will show that any model is buildable" after all the flak this particular kit had recieved I got a bit piggheaded about it.
The end product is perhaps not a silk purse sewn from a sows ear...but it´s at least fake silk....or nylon 😛

It was a challenge and to be honest about it, Kinetic didn´t help matters...this kit is crap! It comes with the composite wing, wich I discovered to late to change my mind about the subject I was going to build.
I ended up building an early "A" model and I had to convert a "E" kit with a composite wing into an early "A"...it wasn´t really doable without major reconstruction, I went with faking the win gs and that helped
a bit.
I fixed small details like removing the Chaff/Flare launchers, adding second position lights to the wingtips,moving the belly light to the nose gear door, making covers for the arrestor hook.
As for bringing the kit up to snuff I had to ad a bit of aftermarket and scratchbuilding...

The list followa: D MOld seamless intakes, wolfpack resin seats, Avionix cockpit, quick boost IFR probe, hypersonic exhausts, Res Kit wheels, Profimodeller turned brass pitot tube, Eduard masks and decals from
Furball.
I scratchbuilt the boarding ladders and added details to the struts and wheel bays.and used copious ammounts of putty all round 😛

As for the subject, I have a thing for USS Enterprise...so I went with a Early A-model, BuNo 152597 flying with VA-35 Black Panthers on their USS Enterprice cruise 1966-67. The fun thing while looking for references 
for the kit I came in contact with a gentleman who´s dad had been Squadron leader for VA-35 during that very cruise, his dad had flown the 152597 on numerous missions and I´m very grateful for all the information I 
recieved. The 152597 was later turned into a KA-6 tanker and ended up as a target drone.

Well after all that reading you want pics right?

Here they are 😄

DSC_3767_zps53ivkowv.jpg

DSC_3769_zps0a7bcbzg.jpg

DSC_3771_zpssma2wusk.jpg

DSC_3773_zpscfzgkons.jpg

DSC_3776_zpsns4hr3ck.jpg

DSC_3779_zpsqciwocml.jpg

DSC_3781_zpsbko0eu1f.jpg

DSC_3783_zpsaahtate7.jpg

DSC_3785_zpseqkjlkha.jpg

DSC_3787_zpslvocd5t4.jpg

DSC_3789_zps1xlbebwv.jpg

DSC_3792_zps3wgyzoyf.jpg

End of Part 1

Beautiful!  :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I learned a lot by following your In-progress thread and watching you work through the trials & tribulations of this build.  Great job on overcoming the issues, adding the detail, and final paint.  Nice photography, too!

Thanks for sharing.

John

33 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Beautiful!  :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I learned a lot by following your In-progress thread and watching you work through the trials & tribulations of this build.  Great job on overcoming the issues, adding the detail, and final paint.  Nice photography, too!

Thanks for sharing.

John

Thanx John 😄 

I keep no secrets, all I know I put out there for all to see, compare to, learn from or tell me a better way 😄

I'm convinced a dialogue is important for a WIP thread....the end product is the sum of all mojo rising comments, tips and feedback 😄

2 hours ago, dnl42 said:

BRAVO!! :thumbsup:

You've built an outstanding model of an A-6. The fact that it was a Kinetic is all the greater accomplishment. :worship:

Thanx dnl42 😄

it was a challenge....changing version in mid build didn't make things easier.

2 hours ago, kurnass77 said:

Finally my friend!!!

Super work,I think you've a truly winner here!

Congratulations.

Gianni

Thanks Gianni 😄

Your positive support through the build was much appreciated, my friend.

2 hours ago, my favs are F`s said:

Oh wow, it`s beautiful! I like the white/red constrast on that background. And the subtle weathering... just beautiful! Congrats on finishing it.

Thanx my favs are F's 😄

Almost thought I'd never get it done....sanding ....filling into eternity

9 minutes ago, crackerjazz said:

She looks gorgeous, Janne!!!  And the weathering is A++++++++ 

Thanx CJ  😄

You've been an inspiration with your tenacious detailing of your corsair!

Janne,

Just another one of your special builds. You managed to turn one of the worst Kinetic kits into a rock solid build, added plenty of After market, and then kicked it up even further with a ton of scratch building.  And now your excellent photo presentation is certainly the icing on the cake. 

Well done my friend, very well done. I'm glade I joined from day 1 and stayed the course. it was well worth it. 

Joel

20 minutes ago, Joel_W said:

Janne,

Just another one of your special builds. You managed to turn one of the worst Kinetic kits into a rock solid build, added plenty of After market, and then kicked it up even further with a ton of scratch building.  And now your excellent photo presentation is certainly the icing on the cake. 

Well done my friend, very well done. I'm glade I joined from day 1 and stayed the course. it was well worth it. 

Joel

Thanx Joel, and thanx for being there all through the build giving insight and a morale boost 😄

1 hour ago, okthree said:

Eye watering!  Very nice work.  The A-6 is my favorite airplane.  Your build makes me want to build the Hobby Boss kit I have in my stash.

Thanx oakthree 😄

Happy to inspire, the HB kit is an alltogether different beast from what I've heard.....not a perfect kit but what kit is?

44 minutes ago, Dave Roof said:

Very nicely done!

Thanx Dave 😄