Grumman A-6A Intruder, VA-35 Black Panthers, USS Enterprise 1966

3 hours ago, Aigore said:

Sure, go ahead....you didn't have a build log for it?

Janne,

I built it before my time on ARC. The build log was on Aeroscale. 

Joel

A-6E10_12_14_193.jpg

A-6E10_12_14_199.jpg

“You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear”.

Well, very much looks like you have. Purely a personal preference, for me the base/background colour doesn’t do your model proper justice with little fill-in flash to all that ordnance etc.

Great conclusion.

John.

Edited by John Wolstenholme
On 5/25/2018 at 2:50 PM, John Wolstenholme said:

“You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear”.

Well, very much looks like you have. Purely a personal preference, for me the base/background colour doesn’t do your model proper justice with little fill-in flash to all that ordnance etc.

Great conclusion.

John.

Thanx John 😄

indeed, I'm in need of better backgrounds for my pics. This got to do for now 🙂

• 3 months later...
On 5/13/2018 at 11:26 PM, Falconxlvi said:

Wow!  That is the nicest A-6 model I’ve ever seen!  Your attention to detail is superb and that loadout is just stinkin’ awesome!  I am super impressed.  

Steve

Thanx Steve 😄

So thera was this model show last weekend...and it didn´t go so well for me 😛

My daugher however got 4 prizes for her 3 models in the Junior class, it was her first competition

DSC_4054_zpsy0frkuzx.jpg

My meager performance rendered me two prizes in the miscellanious category for two TIE fighters...The A6 scored nothing 😞 I got a bit disapointed but well it simply didn´t get up to the same level as OOB Tamygawas even though I put enormous ammounts of work into the project there was simply too much to do to get it up there. I didn´t maka silk purse out of this nparticular sow´s ear...only a polyester purse 😛

It doesn´t take away the pride I find in completing the project it is still a very very nice model 😄

1 hour ago, Aigore said:

So thera was this model show last weekend...and it didn´t go so well for me 😛

My daugher however got 4 prizes for her 3 models in the Junior class, it was her first competition

DSC_4054_zpsy0frkuzx.jpg

My meager performance rendered me two prizes in the miscellanious category for two TIE fighters...The A6 scored nothing 😞 I got a bit disapointed but well it simply didn´t get up to the same level as OOB Tamygawas even though I put enormous ammounts of work into the project there was simply too much to do to get it up there. I didn´t maka silk purse out of this nparticular sow´s ear...only a polyester purse 😛

It doesn´t take away the pride I find in completing the project it is still a very very nice model 😄

Congrats to your daughter!  Contests can be tough- the smallest flaws sometimes outweighing the overall effort, ugh.  Rest assured, your A-6 is a tremendous model and I’m sure it was a contender!

Steve

Impressed and Great work! Realistic paint weathering and beautifully photographed presentation.

I am sure that your daughter will be an other member of your family that will have High level skill to make models.

Congratulations

*With respect to your great work as I said, I have two notes to do:
 The front wheels of the model will be must aligned between them and the clear parts of the model kit needs more care to shine. ( I don΄t know if the photograph confuse me.)

Giannis Doxas

Edited by doxasg
5 hours ago, doxasg said:

Impressed and Great job work! Realistic paint weathering and beautifully photographed presentation.

I am sure that your daughter will be an other member of your family that will have High level skill to make models.

Congratulations

*With respect to your great job work as I said, I have two notes to do:
 The front wheels of the model will be must aligned between them and the clear parts of the model kit needs more care to shine. ( I don΄t know if the photograph confuse me.)

Giannis Doxas

Thanx Giannis 😄

I had a horrible time with the windshield I had to redo it 3 times and finally I went with good enough...  😛

I'll see if I can fix the  front wheels for the next show.

8 hours ago, Falconxlvi said:

Congrats to your daughter!  Contests can be tough- the smallest flaws sometimes outweighing the overall effort, ugh.  Rest assured, your A-6 is a tremendous model and I’m sure it was a contender!

Steve

That's the exact reason I've stopped entering contests. What I do is simply put my models on the table with a "Display Only" sign and information about the model. I'm getting too old to worry about whether or not my landing gear is perfectly aligned. 

Aigore, your daughter looks so happy! That's what it's about.

5 minutes ago, Darren Roberts said:

That's the exact reason I've stopped entering contests. What I do is simply put my models on the table with a "Display Only" sign and information about the model. I'm getting too old to worry about whether or not my landing gear is perfectly aligned. 

Aigore, your daughter looks so happy! That's what it's about.

She exptessed true joy in its purest form....it was lovely and she charmed the socks off all old farts 😄

Janne,

Congrats to your daughter, whose smile on her face is worth more then all the 1st place awards you could have won. Be a proud & Loving Dad. That's the most important thing. 

I lived with you from the A6-A build from day 1 till you finally nudged it across the finish line. A great build for one of the worst kits out there. like I said numerous times, I would have long trashed it, and moved on to something else, but not you. You stuck it out, and brought it home to a most respectable finish. 

But as a seasoned veteran of the competition modeling trail, you know that judges judge only what's on the table, not how it got there. Judges by the IPMS rules look for errors and not so perfect as a way to establish the top 3 builds in each category. Otherwise it's just subjective reasoning between 3 judges like in the good old days. 

You should be proud of your effort and how it turned out.  

Joel

Edited by Joel_W
6 hours ago, Joel_W said:

Janne,

Congrats to your daughter, whose smile on her face is worth more then all the 1st place awards you could have won. Be a proud & Loving Dad. That's the most important thing. 

I lived with you from the A6-A build from day 1 till you finally nudged it across the finish line. A great build for one of the worst kits out there. like I said numerous times, I would have long trashed it, and moved on to something else, but not you. You stuck it out, and brought it home to a most respectable finish. 

But as a seasoned veteran of the competition modeling trail, you know that judges judge only what's on the table, not how it got there. Judges by the IPMS rules look for errors and not so perfect as a way to establish the top 3 builds in each category. Otherwise it's just subjective reasoning between 3 judges like in the good old days. 

You should be proud of your effort and how it turned out.  

Joel

Thanx Joel 😄

indeed I am proud of it and i will show it off at other competitions because it is worth showing off 😄 I think I've become a bit too used to bringing home wins 🙂

5 minutes ago, Aigore said:

Thanx Joel 😄

indeed I am proud of it and i will show it off at other competitions because it is worth showing off 😄 I think I've become a bit too used to bringing home wins 🙂

Janne,

this past April I entered my 1st IPMS regional in more then 40 years. made it to the final cut with my 1/48 scale F6F-3 but didn't make the top 3.  My goal was to do my best, and see how I compare to what's out there these days. I'm competitive, and that's what I wanted to know. Now that I'm also doing cars ( a long time passion) it's another challenge. Cars and aircraft can't be any more dissimilar one you get to the painting stage the night & day. but it's the journey that counts for me these days.

Joel

2 hours ago, Joel_W said:

Janne,

this past April I entered my 1st IPMS regional in more then 40 years. made it to the final cut with my 1/48 scale F6F-3 but didn't make the top 3.  My goal was to do my best, and see how I compare to what's out there these days. I'm competitive, and that's what I wanted to know. Now that I'm also doing cars ( a long time passion) it's another challenge. Cars and aircraft can't be any more dissimilar one you get to the painting stage the night & day. but it's the journey that counts for me these days.

Joel

We don't have a fixed number of prizes, you have one class winner and then you can have several Special Honorary Mentions and Honorary mentions. Looks like you did pretty well 🙂

15 hours ago, Aigore said:

We don't have a fixed number of prizes, you have one class winner and then you can have several Special Honorary Mentions and Honorary mentions. Looks like you did pretty well 🙂

Janne,

now that's a very interesting way to award well deserved places in a competition. I can see it solving a lot of issues I've heard of and seen 1st hand. Those that deserve recognition with an award get one, and those that don't, go home with the understanding of what they need to work on for the next competition.

Joel

Hi Aigore,

I silently follow your build before joining this forum, and all I can say is that despite all the troubles and difficulties you had when building this A-6, the end result is spectacular.

Thank you very much for sharing your in-progress pgotos of this beautiful machine! Learnt a lot of new techniques.

Congrats also to your daughter. I's nice to see young people entering this hobby

Best regards,

Tato.

56 minutes ago, Tato said:

Hi Aigore,

I silently follow your build before joining this forum, and all I can say is that despite all the troubles and difficulties you had when building this A-6, the end result is spectacular.

Thank you very much for sharing your in-progress pgotos of this beautiful machine! Learnt a lot of new techniques.

Congrats also to your daughter. I's nice to see young people entering this hobby

Best regards,

Tato.

Thanx Tato 😄

Very kind of you to say 😄