Ranks of pilots in attached picture?

The answer in the linked thread is the only one possible.  As stated, the ranks are at the end of their sleeves.  The scrambled eggs on the cap bills indicate Commander or Captain.  All the rest could be any rank from Ensign to Lt. Commander.

If you look at the order of the names, it's alphabetical, then resets every so often.

The first two are CDRs based on the scrambled eggs, then it goes back to "Bruntlett" for five names, who are all a bit saltier and older looking. I'd say those are all LCDRs.

The next eight would be LTs, and then it resets again, and the last six are LTJGs.

Hoops

On 5/13/2018 at 7:26 PM, Hoops said:

If you look at the order of the names, it's alphabetical, then resets every so often.

The first two are CDRs based on the scrambled eggs, then it goes back to "Bruntlett" for five names, who are all a bit saltier and older looking. I'd say those are all LCDRs.

The next eight would be LTs, and then it resets again, and the last six are LTJGs.

Hoops

Excellent point, Hoops.  I had forgotten Navy is more rank-conscious than the other services.  Following your analysis, I would add the last person on the list, Mr. Koenig, is the possibly the squadron's one and only Ensign.  I would not have been surprised had they arranged them by rank and by time-in-grade!  You would never have been able to decipher that!

Speaking of rank and class consciousness, when I was serving in the Navy, the plan of the day would announce base social activities, extending the invitation to "officers and their ladies, enlisted men and their wives."  That was changed during my hitch under Adm. Zumwalt to "officers, enlisted men and their ladies."  Soothed a lot of feelings among the senior enlisted spouses.

1 hour ago, Neptune48 said:

Following your analysis, I would add the last person on the list, Mr. Koenig, is the possibly the squadron's one and only Ensign.

I didn't look at the names that closely, but I'd think you could be right. Mr. Koenig may be an Ensign, perhaps restricted line even (squadron Intel officer). I don't I see wings on his chest, but there is already a good amount of ribbons, more than somebody fresh out of flight school. Could also be an LDO ENS perhaps?

Cheers,

Hoops

11 hours ago, Hoops said:

I didn't look at the names that closely, but I'd think you could be right. Mr. Koenig may be an Ensign, perhaps restricted line even (squadron Intel officer). I don't I see wings on his chest, but there is already a good amount of ribbons, more than somebody fresh out of flight school. Could also be an LDO ENS perhaps?

Cheers,

Hoops

That makes sense.  I don't know about present day, but the Navy still had mustang officers back then.  The OIC of my department on Guam was a mustang LT who was desperate not to be passed over for the 3rd time for LCDR.  My uncle was a mustang LCDR in WWII.

Regards,

Bruce

There are usually 3 to 4 ground pounders (LDO types, non-aviators) in an attack squadron, Gunner (Weapons Office), Intel Officer, MMCO (Maintenance/Material Control Officer) and AMO (Assistant Maintenance Officer).

If you look on the bottom row, there appears to be four officers that don't have wings, those are your ground pounders.

• 2 weeks later...