1/48 Tamiya Spitfire Mk I

Here’s my second build for 2018- the fall-together Tamiya Spitfire Mk I.   I added Ultracast exhausts, wheels, and Eduard seatbelts.  Mission Models acrylic paints were used for the topside colors and I highly recommend them.  I used their brand of thinner, thinned as directed (very little thinner compared to traditional acrylics) and they spray wonderfully.  Markings are from Xtradecal and the aircraft is R6800/LZ-N of 66 Sqn, Kenley/Gravesend, September 1940.  

Steve

08GbSix.jpg

SRCOuBg.jpg

o9ABQ3S.jpg

e6X3MQf.jpg

35UBspR.jpg

fPx5ruf.jpg

p91QldP.jpg

pP87oDs.jpg

2qHqTdS.jpg

ctjM5BD.jpg

6 hours ago, CaptainObvious said:

Nice job Steve!
Great paint and weathering.

Thanks Captain- I experimented with some pigments for weathering on this build.   I find them messy and somewhat hard to control to obtain the desired effect, but at least they clean up well with some enamel thinner.  

1 hour ago, Jamie Cheslo said:

This is such a great little kit! Doesn't show its age at all. Love the weathering job you have done! Outstanding work!

It is!  Thanks Jamie.  Truth be told, I started the new tool Airfix Spitfire Mk I at the same time as the Tamiya kit.  EVERY part in the Airfix kit has flash and/or mould lines.  Cleanup and fit was a nightmare.  So much so, that the kit ended up in the trash.  I was beyond frustrated by it.  I don’t know if I got a lemon kit or what, but the construction sequence and engineering isn’t supported by the quality control of the moulds.  I’ll stick to the Tamiya kits for my future Spitfire Mk I/V’s (or until Eduard makes an early Spit!).   

Edited by Falconxlvi