I'm trying to build the beautiful worn bird in the photo below for my Vermont ANG collection.

Notice on the right wing, outer panel, trailing edge. It's a replaced panel which is said to be painted in 36375.

As this color is what the underside of F-16's used to be painted in, what are the chances this is a panel from a left wing and the underside of this panel is the darker 36118 Gunship Gray?

vzxuTu6.jpg

Edited by Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy

It looks to me like the position of the fins are alternated on the bombs.  The outboard bomb looks like it has the fins oriented in a "+" fashion while the bomb on the bottom of the TER has the fins in an "×" position.  That may or may not be helpful. 

Just now, BN7149 said:

It looks to me like the position of the fins are alternated on the bombs.  The outboard bomb looks like it has the fins oriented in a "+" fashion while the bomb on the bottom of the TER has the fins in an "×" position.  That may or may not be helpful. 

Thanks, good observation! And my apologies, I totally changed the question while you were answering the previous question.... 

Andrew,

On the F-16, that section of the wing is not a seperate panel but part of the upper wing skin. I’m betting it was repainted due to a repair. I’d be willing the bottom color is the same as the top. I can’t imagine why they used that color. Generally the correct paints are readily available. There are always exceptions though!

Edited by BillS

That’s an end cap. They come painted all different colors, some times just yellow. That’s probably the only color sheet metal had to paint it with down range since there’s no paint barn. I’d just go with the front or under color.

I once was out at Hill AFB shooting pictures of the 388th ramp, back when you could actually get photo passes and do that, and was going down the line and came across an F-16 that had one of its horizontal stabs with the upper surface painted light gray and the lower dark gray. I know they are interchangeable, guessing that is all they had when the maintenance guys had to do a change out.

6 hours ago, Falcon053 said:

I once was out at Hill AFB shooting pictures of the 388th ramp, back when you could actually get photo passes and do that, and was going down the line and came across an F-16 that had one of its horizontal stabs with the upper surface painted light gray and the lower dark gray. I know they are interchangeable, guessing that is all they had when the maintenance guys had to do a change out.

That’s true, it could have been canned form the opposite side of another jet. Or, most likely that’s  how it came out of supply. If there’s time you’ll have it painted prior to putting it on. If not then it will be scheduled for a future date. I’ve seen them fly with yellow flight controls for weeks because the paint barn’s backed up, or the jets awaiting phase inspection.

Great, something else to do LOL 

Much appreciated though....for everything else I've done already for this bird, I figure in for a penny, in for a pound as they say. I know UMM has them in stock....

..just wish I wasn't going to try to install this while having to pull out the old already-installed kit one....

Edited by Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy