Trumpeter 1/72 SU-33 Flanker D

Beginning a new build thread for my Trumpeter SU-33 Flanker D. 

I will be doing a gear down, on the deck build. Only aftermarket parts I will use is the Eduard colored PE cockpit set, for displays and seatbelts, etc. I will use the MIG SU-33 paint set for the external camo, and some various MM enamels for the LG bays and wheels. Exhausts will be painted using Alclad metallics. 

U29HAM8.jpg Most of the bits collected. 

This is my second SU-33 build, the first being a Zvezda SU-33 in 1/72, painted in a fictional splinter camo scheme. 

Thanks for having a look! 

And we're off! 

Cockpit tub, display and inner/upper fuselage painted in MM Flanker Blue Grey:

9QgDnvM.jpg 

Hard to see the blue/grey here, as the red really pops out far more. 

Red was MM Insignia Red enamel. I stupidly forgot the front gear bay, so I will have to go back tonight and finish that. 

DzwOmBx.jpg

Next is the exhaustr intakes: Done in MM Gunship Grey enamel. Maybe a bit too dark but oh well, itll pop!

rib4nqa.jpg

nyAr0AI.jpg

I forgot to take pictures of the bits painted black, including the ejector seats, tailhook (base color) and intaKe panels (base to be dry brushed with silver once cured). 

I did get my Eduard PE cockpit set! So that will go on once the paint cures over the weekend. 

c3aytpS.jpg

The detail looks superb and I look forward to having a nice detailed cockpit! 

Also got my canopy masks from Eduard:

eCwro7c.jpg

Next up: continuing to build the wings, landing gear, and weapons while the enamel paint cures and dries. So far so good! Fingers crossed for the rest. 

2 hours ago, Flyboy3394 said:

Red was MM Insignia Red enamel. I stupidly forgot the front gear bay, so I will have to go back tonight and finish that. 

The front gear bay, the interior that is, is not red, it is a light or medium grey.

Also, on the cockpit, on the panel behind the seat, those raised round areas are not present on production Su-33s. That may or may not be of concern to you, depending on how much of an accuracy nut you are. 😉

7 minutes ago, Mstor said:

The front gear bay, the interior that is, is not red, it is a light or medium grey.

Also, on the cockpit, on the panel behind the seat, those raised round areas are not present on production Su-33s. That may or may not be of concern to you, depending on how much of an accuracy nut you are. 😉

Thanks for the heads up on that! 

For the rear of the tub, wont that section be covered up by that other bit i painted in flanker blue (not sure what its called, but it goes inside the cockpit under the glass)?

1 minute ago, Flyboy3394 said:

Thanks for the heads up on that! 

For the rear of the tub, wont that section be covered up by that other bit i painted in flanker blue (not sure what its called, but it goes inside the cockpit under the glass)?

Yes, IF you are going to close up the cockpit. That "other bit" is attached to the canopy, so when the canopy is up, the deck area in question is very visible.  Here's a pic of that area...

6061V01233n8A639

Just now, Mstor said:

Yes, IF you are going to close up the cockpit. That "other bit" is attached to the canopy, so when the canopy is up, the deck area in question is very visible.  Here's a pic of that area...

6061V01233n8A639

I see! Thanks for the ref pic. I was combing google and couldnt find rear facing views of the cockpit. 

I plan to have canopy down, so maybe not worth scraping the raised bits off and repainting. 

1 minute ago, Flyboy3394 said:

I see! Thanks for the ref pic. I was combing google and couldnt find rear facing views of the cockpit. 

I plan to have canopy down, so maybe not worth scraping the raised bits off and repainting.  

Yea, if its going to be down, don't bother with round areas, you won't see them. Carry on my friend. I am anxious to see your Su-33 take shape. It is one of my favorite aircraft. I am currently (slowly) working on a 1/48 Kinetic Su-33.

1 minute ago, Mstor said:

Yea, if its going to be down, don't bother with round areas, you won't see them. Carry on my friend. I am anxious to see your Su-33 take shape. It is one of my favorite aircraft. I am currently (slowly) working on a 1/48 Kinetic Su-33.

I appreciate the interest and your advice! I'd love to see some of what you're doing with yours too! A lot of me wishes I went 1/48th scale. My shakey hands make small models.... difficult. 

Right now I am hemming and hawing over what to do with the bare metal areas and how to replicate the heat stained areas. This is the first time I have tried something like this and it is very slow going. It doesn't help that my work area is a mess. Maybe I'll post some pics once I get past this road block, but I have never posted any in progress stuff before (like I said, my work area is a mess, I mean, really a mess 🤤 ).

38 minutes ago, Mstor said:

Right now I am hemming and hawing over what to do with the bare metal areas and how to replicate the heat stained areas. This is the first time I have tried something like this and it is very slow going. It doesn't help that my work area is a mess. Maybe I'll post some pics once I get past this road block, but I have never posted any in progress stuff before (like I said, my work area is a mess, I mean, really a mess 🤤 ).

Yeah the heat staining is really tricky to do right. Easy to overdo them, but then its not realistic without them. I think I have a plan, but I will do that after i paint the rest of the plane. Let me know what your process is and we can swap strategies! 

Mstor/Nazarov's photo of the canopy also shows an item missed by super-detailers - especially in the larger scales.

Note the bungee-type chord connecting the seat to the internal canopy frame.

I think this is a seat arming mechanism - when the canopy is blown off, the bungee arms the seat for ejection.

The chord is difficult to replicate - as you have to try and fit it before you attach the canopy - especially if you display the canopy closed .......:woot.gif:

But it is quite prominent - once you know it is there.

Ken

On 5/18/2018 at 3:39 AM, Flankerman said:

Mstor/Nazarov's photo of the canopy also shows an item missed by super-detailers - especially in the larger scales.

Note the bungee-type chord connecting the seat to the internal canopy frame.

I think this is a seat arming mechanism - when the canopy is blown off, the bungee arms the seat for ejection.

The chord is difficult to replicate - as you have to try and fit it before you attach the canopy - especially if you display the canopy closed .......:woot.gif:

But it is quite prominent - once you know it is there.

Ken

Should be as easy as attaching a small strip of string to the ejector seat and canopy interior. Good way to make my model a bit more detailed! Thanks!

Question: 

Before gluing in my PE set into the cockpit, do I need to scrap down the existing buttons/ display monitors/guages to fit the PE in a realistic looking manner? Or should i just glue it directly on top of the features as the exist now? 

8 hours ago, Flyboy3394 said:

Question: 

Before gluing in my PE set into the cockpit, do I need to scrap down the existing buttons/ display monitors/guages to fit the PE in a realistic looking manner? Or should i just glue it directly on top of the features as the exist now? 

You're talking about the instrument panel and side panel colored PE, right? In that case, yes. you need to removed all the existing detail. Small files and sanding sticks work very well. If you don't remove it there will be a nasty looking gap between the PE and the plastic, and the parts probably won't fit together properly too.

Update: 

Began the PE process. First I cut off bits of the tub and scraped down the detail inside (not shown):

KoArHre.jpg

Next I placed the PE bits in: 

ZPKUeH7.jpg

Color does not match unfortunately. Not sure what I can do about this now.....

Then the pedals were inserted (terribly difficult to bend and work with these): 

aVfLOw1.jpg

The display came out really nicely: 

9a8oPEb.jpg

I am now working on the HUD, ejector seat (adding seatbelts and armrests) and working on all other major detail bits in the cockpit. It is definitely already looking a whole lot better than my last SU33.... 

Stay Tuned.... 

Tonight was less productive: 

I did get the intake sections built: 

fpakEdK.jpg

I managed to get the seatbelts on there, man was that a pain. 

hrqfiJ0.jpg 

Still have the lower ones to install and a myriad of other PE bits. Really tough to work with in this scale. 

All my time was devoted to the PE so very little other progress was made.... 

Till next time. 

Update: Cockpit is done and main fuselage assembled: 

l0DKoMz.jpg

Ref pic with foot pedals shown

SwbgnN9.jpg

bMfZaLB.jpg

kjESL2H.jpg

Display installed

StVgXGa.jpg

N7l6KRr.jpg

Cockpit tub in:

tfn7mkk.jpg

Fuselage halves glued together and wings also glued together. Going with the flaps down for takeoff. 

Next up is installing the nose and horizontal stabs, and then preshading! 

Update: 

Intakes installed: 

Psm2VT8.jpg

jVUt94a.jpg

hZoz2Q1.jpg

Wings installed (sort of): 

P8xM8MO.jpg

One wing had a split section up front for some reason. So I had to fill it in with putty. 

WtqIvxK.jpg

0vZSO4r.jpg

Fixed: 

7JuZPiT.jpg

NQruYHW.jpg

I have sanded/polished and futured the canopy and will post final pics of that tonight. 

Next steps are masking the canopy, installing it, and beginning the prshading process. Bit nervous about that, but I recently bought a Badger Krome that sprays Tamiya flat black really nicely. Just need to really refine my technique and air pressure/thinner mix so I get small lines and not big paint blobs. Any advice on that front is appreciated! 

Zach

Well a pretty major setback has struck:

Whilst in the final stage of polishing my canopy with polishing compound, I applied too much pressure to the inside with my finger, causing a noticable split/crack right down the center of the whole rear section. Im gutted. It was so pretty and then I pull a bull in a china shop move like this. 

RDYdzPK.jpg 

Question for the crew here.... Can I fill in the gap with this? 

4VoS5Yd.jpg

Also, Eduard sent me the SU-27UB canopy masks, not the SU-33 one. So now... well... im not too sure where to go from here.... 

• 2 years later...
On 6/5/2018 at 11:08 AM, Flyboy3394 said:

Well a pretty major setback has struck:

Whilst in the final stage of polishing my canopy with polishing compound, I applied too much pressure to the inside with my finger, causing a noticable split/crack right down the center of the whole rear section. Im gutted. It was so pretty and then I pull a bull in a china shop move like this. 

RDYdzPK.jpg 

Question for the crew here.... Can I fill in the gap with this? 

4VoS5Yd.jpg

Also, Eduard sent me the SU-27UB canopy masks, not the SU-33 one. So now... well... im not too sure where to go from here.... 

Afternoon,

I hope this didn't stop on the count of the canopy crack. I was hoping to see what happened with the Krystal Klear approach. If you have not tried it yet, I suggest you try and the product will not damage the canopy any further. Then I suggest maybe a nice coating of Future (Pledge) floor wax. Again if the results are not good enough both products can be easily removed without harm to the original canopy.

Have you tried to contact Trumpeter to see if they can offer a replacement or within the ARC forums under the The Spares Box or even the Buy, Sell trade section?

Let us know how this goes.

Cheers

AFM