SU-34 nose replacements by QuickBoost

I just did a bit of judicious scraping and sanding on my Trumpeter 1/72nd Su-34.....

Before......

su-34_006.jpg

(Trumpeter left, Italeri right).

After........

su-34_048.jpg

Not perfect - but as goood as a resin replacement  ?

Here's the Trumpeter nose next to the real thing (with caveats for camera angles etc)...

su-34_017.jpg

....and finally - my scratched/converted Su-27IB next to the corrected Su-34......

su-34_084.jpg

Looks OK to me - but then I am slightly biased....:whistle:

Ken

Edited by Flankerman
On 5/15/2018 at 2:44 PM, Flankerman said:

I just did a bit of judicious scraping and sanding on my Trumpeter 1/72nd Su-34.....

Before......

su-34_006.jpg

(Trumpeter left, Italeri right).

After........

su-34_048.jpg

Not perfect - but as goood as a resin replacement  ?

Here's the Trumpeter nose next to the real thing (with caveats for camera angles etc)...

su-34_017.jpg

....and finally - my scratched/converted Su-27IB next to the corrected Su-34......

su-34_084.jpg

Looks OK to me - but then I am slightly biased....:whistle:

Ken

Thanks Ken! You're always a wealth  of info and it's very much appreciated! FlankerKing is probably more fitting

Check over on Britmodeller    (https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234993016-148-sukhoi-su-34-fullback-by-hobbyboss-released-resin-nose-by-rssmtwo-bob-decals-cws-neomega-quickboost/&page=14&tab=comments#comment-3027213). There is a build using the CWS parts, it looks very nice.

On another note, Hobby Easy has the Kitty Hawk Su-35 available for pre-order and as I read it, it should be available on May 29th. I went ahead and dropped the hammer on one. I've owned the HobbyBoss sample in 1/48, and traded it away.

Edited by Mr Matt Foley

Cold war studios nose is nice as is the tail mod and grills.

Looking at the difference though i think ill just keep it as a master and reshape the kit nose.

Difference is pretty subtle should be easy to fix..

Having built the HB Su-34, you would be better off reshaping the radome’s profile with sanding sticks.  It takes about 30 minutes and you will lose less detail than cutting the nose and CA’ing a resin replacement.  The join is thick enough and you will not have to take a lot of material off.  It would have been nice if Eduard or Aries included PE for the APU exhaust & intake screens on the boom, but adding a thick resin boom is going to change the center of gravity, fortunately the gear is strong with metal inserts.  Definitely get the Brassin’ wheel set, the wheels & mud guard are beautiful.  My humble build is on Z5.

John

Edited by Raptor01
48 minutes ago, AnthonyWan said:

I've heard Cold War Studios parts aren't terribly great in terms of casting. 

Some items do look a bit "crude" and not quite crisp. The yank over on Britmodeler seems to like the set and he appears to be doing a nice job with the correction. We shall see once we have the Kitty Hawk kit in hand.

26 minutes ago, Raptor01 said:

Having built the HB Su-34, you would be better off reshaping the radome’s profile with sanding sticks.  It takes about 30 minutes and you will lose less detail than cutting the nose and CA’ing a resin replacement.  The join is thick enough and you will not have to take a lot of material off.  It would have been nice if Eduard or Aries included PE for the APU exhaust & intake screens on the boom, but adding a thick resin boom is going to change the center of gravity, fortunately the gear is strong with metal inserts.  Definitely get the Brassin’ wheel set, the wheels & mud guard are beautiful.  My humble build is on Z5.

John

And a fine job you did on your build John!

One thing no one has mentioned about the Cold War set is that it also includes masks to correct the canopy. It appears that the HB canopy has some problems with it's canopy too.

Just now, Mstor said:

One thing no one has mentioned about the Cold War set is that it also includes masks to correct the canopy. It appears that the HB canopy has some problems with it's canopy too.

Any number of extras doesn't really redeem them from poor resin casting... 

On 5/25/2018 at 10:28 AM, AnthonyWan said:

I've seen the Su-17 correction as well as both su-34 ones. The resin casting isn't a problem, it's really good. I think it stems from the masters not being as refined, both su-34 sets are based on the kit parts, the clean up is good but some of the modifications, rescribing and riveting are not consistent.

Edited by Inquisitor
On 5/26/2018 at 1:28 AM, AnthonyWan said:

After you have sprayed it with primer you would not be able to split it from any other good quality product.

Quality isnt an issue...

18 hours ago, dehowie said:

After you have sprayed it with primer you would not be able to split it from any other good quality product.

Quality isnt an issue...

I have seen a number of resin sets from different manufacturers around the world and I would agree that quality is definitely not an issue...