Kitty Hawk RF-101A/C

I'm really on the fence about buying the kit or not. While no one can ever accuse me of being a rivet counter, this is one issue that so apparent, and so wrong, that I'll most likely wait until there is a AM resin replacement option.

Joel

I'll still probably pick one up (assuming they didn't do a repeat of the Banshee debacle) and hope someone releases some corrected intakes before I get around to building it. If not, I'll just fix the kit intakes.  

MStor, if you have any pull with the aftermarket manufacturer, please encourage them to go ahead with those intakes. They should be a good seller, since they'd apply to the previous single-seat kit, too!

KurtH, I had to mill out the camera window openings on my C&H RF-101G/H, too.

Ben

2 hours ago, Ben Brown said:

MStor, if you have any pull with the aftermarket manufacturer, please encourage them to go ahead with those intakes. They should be a good seller, since they'd apply to the previous single-seat kit, too!

I will see what influence I can have on his decision.

2 hours ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

Is the parts layout going to be conducive to a decent replacement? Or will it require us to perform some surgery?

Actually, I have no idea. :dontknow: Haven't ever even seen the parts of the A/C kit. Can someone else chime in here?

Shouldn't be too bad. One could make the replacement parts so you would cut the intake off of the upper and lower wing parts at a panel line forward of the wing leading edge and plug the new intake part in. It could be molded as just the outer part, so it mates with the intake duct, similar to Hasegawa's 1/48 Skyhawk intakes, or the full intake could be included like DMold does for F-4 kits. The splitter plate could be molded separately to make the molds simpler.

Ben

Edited by Ben Brown
  • 1 month later...

Did they actually do the right thing and fix the intakes and splitter plates or is it just the angle of the photo? They don't look as screwed-up as the F-101A/C intakes. Or maybe the caffeine hasn't made it to my eyes, yet. 

Nice to see them including the G/H. 

Ben

2 hours ago, Ben Brown said:

Did they actually do the right thing and fix the intakes and splitter plates or is it just the angle of the photo? They don't look as screwed-up as the F-101A/C intakes. Or maybe the caffeine hasn't made it to my eyes, yet. 

Ben

Don't think so. I checked a few more photos on Facebook and the intakes definitely slant back like the actual 101B airframe. Also didn't fix the engine vent on the starboard side. Still looks like a nice kit.

On 5/19/2018 at 10:27 AM, Joel_W said:

Don,

Unfortunately, all the major kit manufactures are run by what we call "Suits" and or "Bean Counters". For the most part none are modelers, but financial businessmen who earn their living from the sales of these kits. The goal is produce the kit for the least amount of expenditure, hence, a larger bottom line. To them, the angle of a intake or misplaced panel line means nothing.  

Joel

Obviously you've never built a kit from Tamiya, Wingnut Wings, Hasegawa, Great Wall, etc.   With very few exceptions, these guys provide if not defect-free kits, at least kits that avoid major dimensional errors like we see on the Voodoo.  Hell, there was some manufacturer (can't recall who) that when made aware of a problem with their kit, actually retooled the part and re-released it.

And then we have the bottom feeders like KH and Kinetic who have made it clear that they really don't care about accuracy or feedback from modelers.  Just please don't lump in "all the major manufactures" into that category.

4 hours ago, Ben Brown said:

Indeed! I'll buy the kit for the box art, and follow/copy  your build to make the needed corrections!! :thumbsup2:

Gene K

Sooper Dooper! 

To be bought in pairs or threes.

Wonder what Caracal will offer? Like the polka-dotty Misawa jobs and the 66th TRW jets from the French era. 

Maybe a third, from Heyford, in camooflarge.

Tony

5 hours ago, 11bee said:

Obviously you've never built a kit from Tamiya, Wingnut Wings, Hasegawa, Great Wall, etc.   With very few exceptions, these guys provide if not defect-free kits, at least kits that avoid major dimensional errors like we see on the Voodoo.  Hell, there was some manufacturer (can't recall who) that when made aware of a problem with their kit, actually retooled the part and re-released it.

And then we have the bottom feeders like KH and Kinetic who have made it clear that they really don't care about accuracy or feedback from modelers.  Just please don't lump in "all the major manufactures" into that category.

Trumpeter and their 1/32 F4F Wildcat I believe is what you are thinking of. The fuselage was way off in several areas. It was re-tooled and reissued. 

1 hour ago, Chriss7607 said:

Trumpeter and their 1/32 F4F Wildcat I believe is what you are thinking of. The fuselage was way off in several areas. It was re-tooled and reissued. 

I build the Trumpeter retool, an indeed they corrected the fuselage, but the wheel wells were  still wrong. Took me several weeks to correct them the best I could.  Still a really nice kit of an iconic aircraft.

Joel

4 hours ago, Chriss7607 said:

No, it’s driving me nuts but I can’t recall the manufacturer.  They were a smaller outfit, think the kit was maybe a 72nd Kfir??

Edited by 11bee

Yes AMK did this to their 1/48th Kfir. They changed the fuselage pieces to get that Coke bottle shape that was missing from the first release. I think the 1/72nd version was ok but since I don't build in that scale I do not know.

1 hour ago, skyhawk174 said:

Yes AMK did this to their 1/48th Kfir. They changed the fuselage pieces to get that Coke bottle shape that was missing from the first release. I think the 1/72nd version was ok but since I don't build in that scale I do not know.

We have a winner!    That’s the one.   Good example of how to operate.   Unlike the crew at KH.    

24 minutes ago, 11bee said:

We have a winner!    That’s the one.   Good example of how to operate.   Unlike the crew at KH.    

Hmm they did get Floyd Werner to help with the UH-1D and the AH-6 so maybe things are looking up? If the parts are 90% right the first time then less to correct.

13 hours ago, 11bee said:

Im not sure what planet you live on but Kinetic is a bottom feeder?

i guess you havnt seen the Mirage Family, Harriers, Hornets etc.

The reason AMK retooled the Kfir was nobody bought the thing when the far more accurate Kinetic kit is available.

Dont mention either that the conversion set done by one of Monograms master modellers even missed the intakes on his RF-101 conversion.

That was a conversion specifically for the Single seater 101.

The references where widely available then as they are now but i dont hear to many people calling Koster enterprises...bottom feeders especially the guys who did beautiful RF-101 conversions in 48th with that set.