Kitty Hawk RF-101A/C

29 minutes ago, Ben Brown said:

I see Mike also now has ... some intakes for the Z-M F-4s on the way.

So what do those "correct"?????

EDIT: Went to Mike's website and was impressed with the intakes -- seamless. I'll be in for a couple of sets when he resumes production, hopefully soon.

Gene K

Edited by Gene K

The Z-M F-4 seamless intakes were available as a pre-order and Mike got a huge response (>200 orders) for them. He spent plenty of time trying to catch up so he turned off the order link. Now that he’s almost caught up, the links are turned on again. 

I sent Mike F-2A/B seamless intake masters for the 1/48 Hasegawa kit. They should be available in a couple of weeks while we make instructions and product photos for them. 

Hope you will like the new F-2 intakes. Make sure to keep Mike really busy. LMAO

Edited by PlasticWeapons
34 minutes ago, Ben Brown said:

An F-2 intake, too? My bank account is already screaming in agony! 🤣

Ben

GrR4PAk.jpg

Yup! I received some test shots last week to check the intake fit to the kit and the resin fits perfectly. 

I have seamless F-16 NSI and MCID intakes in progress for the Hasegawa kits. I have huge stash of those and thought it’s about time they get some love again since the Seamless Suckers aren’t available anymore. 

Seamless Tamiya F-16 intakes are on the bench too but I need to finish at least one Nats build before I can concentrate on the intake projects. 

Edited by PlasticWeapons
20 minutes ago, Gene K said:

Unfortunately not according to the site I get on Chrome.  Is there another/newer site I should visit?

I'm patiently ready to order!!!

Gene K

You got the right site. I'm using Firefox and the ZM intakes are still showing as sold out.

Same on Facebook, shows sold out there too. Perhaps he sold out again?

Edited by Mstor

Hi Guys.

While we are on the subject of rectifying the Voodoo, can someone be persuaded  to make a replacement canopy? KH have managed to flatten the canopy bow and the top of the windshield frame.

I have already asked Squadron, who are not interested. Falcon, and the guy who bought the C&H moulds did not even reply. The C&H and Koster vacform canopies are correct, but can we get a production run?

Nikolai has done a great job back engineering a type IIIC intake to a type IIB.

It is so annoying, that after suggesting to Mr Sung that he produce a single seat 101, then sending him the corrections to his intake cockup, that they still ignored everything and made a 'one size fits all' abomination. All my KH A/C kits remain unstarted, hoping that a correction would come along. Thankfully, Nikolai bit the bullet after asking the right questions early enough in the build for me to pass him the right info.

Over to you guys, as you have more contacts your side of the pond.

Cheers

Frank

4 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Hi Guys.

While we are on the subject of rectifying the Voodoo, can someone be persuaded  to make a replacement canopy? KH have managed to flatten the canopy bow and the top of the windshield frame.

It is so annoying, that after suggesting to Mr Sung that he produce a single seat 101, then sending him the corrections to his intake cockup, that they still ignored everything and made a 'one size fits all' abomination.

Ahh, the magic of Kitty Hawk!  How can you not love these guys?   Does anyone have pics of the kit canopy / windshield available that would illustrate this issue? 

Resin 2 Details is supposed to have the Koster masters. The clear parts didn't include a windscreen, just a very nice canopy. I just sent him an email, asking if he would consider doing a replacement windscreen and canopy, based on the Koster canopy and Monogram windscreen. We'll see what he says.

Slight change of subject: Does anyone know what happened to the RF-101G at Pima? They no longer show it listed on their web site.

Ben

6 minutes ago, Ben Brown said:

Slight change of subject: Does anyone know what happened to the RF-101G at Pima? They no longer show it listed on their web site.

Ben

I was there two years ago but I am not sure if I remember seeing an RF-101G. If you are on Facebook, they do seem to be reasonably active, maybe you can contact them on Facebook?

There was also an F-101A at Clovis, the Firewall airframe. That was dismantled and removed about 18 months ago. I'd like to know where that is too. We would ideally like to secure 'balls one' from Louisville.

It really belongs over here at our Museum.  One of our guys is going to see it next month

EDIT: Answered my own question. 56-0011 is on loan to the 188th Wing, Ft Smith, AR (LINK, Satellite view). Anyone in that area have access to it and want to shoot some photos for us? :pray:

Balls One at Louisville needs to be moved somewhere safe. I took some pics of it about 15 years ago, and it was looking pretty rough. It had a bad Hill Gray camouflage scheme. What I found interesting is it still has the gun sight mounted. I haven't been able to find any other G/Hs like that.

Ben

Edited by Ben Brown
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

I thought I'd post this here, since this thread discusses accuracy issues in the KH Voodoos. KH is including nose parts to build an RF-101G/H (yay!), but I'm betting they'll use the RF-101A/C cockpit parts.  The RF-101A/C instrument panel and glare shield were different from the G/H, but the rest of the cockpit was basically the same for our 1/48 purposes. Not a big deal, since the cockpit will need to be upgraded or replaced, anyway, but for the RF-101G/H, you'll need to start with an F-101A/C cockpit (Aires) and leave off the gun sight and radar display. You'll also need to add the camera control panel to the top of the glare shield.

Here is the RF-101G/H flight manual and a handbook for ANG pilots that describes the various camera systems. LINK  There is a great drawing of the instrument panel on page 1-40 of the flight manual, as well as some good detail drawings in the ANG handbook.

Ben

I have in front of me a review sample the two seater kit, and it doesn't share the same parts. It has the correct coaming and correct brass etched IP for the interior and  side consoles as well as decals. If the interceptor and recce back seaters had a different set up, that will need to be addressed. Mine will become a recce bird at some point years down the road. My example is missing the decals and brass for the back seater. KH have also fallen out with Detail and Scale, and the retail boxes will have the D&S reference deleted.

What it does lack for the recce version is a plain panel to replace the weapons bay door. It will be necessary to fill the missile recesses and sand off the protruberances.

See this: http://www.themodellingnews.com/2018/07/dry-fit-review-gary-pieces-together.html

On 7/26/2018 at 8:49 AM, Ben Brown said:

LINK  There is a great drawing of the instrument panel on page 1-40 of the flight manual, as well as some good detail drawings in the ANG handbook.

Ben

Thanks for the link - that is a great site! Many hours of d'ling pleasure. 

48 minutes ago, sierrascale said:

Thanks for the link - that is a great site! Many hours of d'ling pleasure. 

Yes, I should have posted a warning that you'll end up spending hours browsing. There is a boatload of good stuff on that blog!

Ben

Is it me or did they actually recycle the F-101A/C instrument panel and glare shield parts for the RF-101A/C (Step 23 vs Step 27)???? That will work for the G/H, but the RF-101A/C had a completely different instrument panel & glare shield. The decal provided for the instrument panel is wrong for all versions, except maybe the B. Oh well, the cockpits in these kits are garbage, anyway, so hopefully the aftermarket will come to our rescue. 

Ben

Hello guys!

Yes, the RF-101C & G/H kit released and available (a bit pricey yet). Looks like it have the same issues with the canopy and an intakes; intruction are vague, too. 

29 minutes ago, Ben Brown said:

Is it me or did they actually recycle the F-101A/C instrument panel and glare shield parts for the RF-101A/C (Step 23 vs Step 27)????

The same details utilized for all the possible versions.

30 minutes ago, Ben Brown said:

Oh well, the cockpits in these kits are garbage, anyway, so hopefully the aftermarket will come to our rescue. 

The cockpit is not so bad, i think. Painted and decalled it looks wery well and in-scale for me.

Cheers! 😸

I am glad to hear the RF-101A/C/G  has been sighted in the wild.  It should be at my favorite US retailers before too long.  It will also be interesting to see if it generates any aftermarket support.  This is a subject I would like to devote the time and energy to a major project, a highly detailed build.

Edited by Kurt H.
27 minutes ago, Kurt H. said:

It will also be interesting to see if it generates any aftermarket support.

Yes, some kit details needs an attention and it woul be great to see the proper intakes, canopy and tail position lights. Otherwise, it's not a big problem to do it by your own hands.

33 minutes ago, Kurt H. said:

It should be at my favorite US retailers before too long.

I'll wait till the Chinese sellers start to shipping it for the reasonable prices. This kit is nice and I became a huge Voodoo fan, but $70 is not a deal for me.

30 minutes ago, Kurt H. said:

This is a subject I would like to devote the time and energy to a major project, a highly detailed build.

It tends to be a very interesting build!

Thanks!

Got the binoculars out looking to bag a brace of these.

I'm with Nikolay and think the cockpit detail is perfectly acceptable for 1/48. The viewfinder scope needs adding from a piece of sprue shrouded in a section of drinking straw.

I like the way the kit comes with two canopy sets: nice to have spares.

Tony 

And looking more closely at the hobbylink pages, there **is** a new RF-101C-looking IP as decal B1. 

It needs putting on a commensurately shaped plastic card backing, the tube that sits on the top right to be deleted and chopped to provide the viewfinder at centre.

Not brilliantly thought out by Kitty Hawk but the parts are all there (except possibly a new backing plate for the IP).

Would have liked some blobs of plastic representing KA-2 or KS-72 cameras but there is a blob for the forward oblique. Don't know about the KA-1 stations aft of the cockpit or if any kind of apertures are included.

Looking forward to getting this kit but it would benefit from some Aires love in the camera bays.

Tony