Kitty Hawk RF-101A/C

On 5/18/2018 at 7:57 AM, Ben Brown said:

The nose shape looks pretty good but they still used the B wings with the incorrect intakes, just like they did on the F-101A/C kit. :bandhead2:

Ben

It's too wide. I've been looking at the real thing (we have one in our museum), and this kit is off. I couldn't figure out why, but I think someone has.  It would explain why the canopy is flat too. I attached his picture to this post. 
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1898060503579560&id=736521713066784

His references: 
https://airandspace.si.edu/collection-objects/mcdonnell-f-101-voodoo-family-wars-and-conflicts-vietnam-war-general-boeing-kc-1
https://airandspace.si.edu/collection-objects/mcdonnell-f-101-voodoo-family-wars-and-conflicts-vietnam-war-general-boeing-kc-4

The canopy doesn't fair smoothly into the fuselage, but it's not much wider at the canopy base than the canopy. The kit fuselage is at least twice as wide as that canopy. It just sort of balloons out with a really significant curve. Monogram is right. Kittyhawk is very, very wrong. 

https://www.evergreenmuseum.org/new-artifact-mcdonnell-f-101a-voodoo 

A too-wide fuselage would explain all the extra real estate in the cockpit bulkhead and consoles. 

On 5/19/2018 at 8:32 PM, Mstor said:

I think there is at least one resin aftermarket maker that is considering making new intakes for the single seaters. That's all I can say as that person has not commited to doing this, as far as I can tell. I think it would be a good seller and I'd certainly like to do an RF-101A/C. The intake problem is one of those thing that once you know about it, you can't unsee it.

They might want to measure this thing to see what else needs replacing before they proceed. It could be like the Hobby Boss Corsair II. 

Is anybody hearing anything about the RF's coming with the F-101B exhausts instead of F-101A/C exhausts?

37599482_2038560192821314_6139856457748709376_n.jpg

Edited by redwoodmodels
2 hours ago, redwoodmodels said:

A too-wide fuselage would explain all the extra real estate in the cockpit bulkhead and consoles. 

Yes, a bit wider but not so evident as pictured above:

29146846557_75da3d458c_o.jpg

The curve looks smooth and the shape is far better than on a plan provided by Detail & Scale (very frustrating):

29146846707_87be04afdb_o.jpg

The canopy doesn't fair smoothly into the fuselage, but it's not much wider at the canopy base than the canopy.

The windshield needs to be compressed on the sides and glued on its place, after that it’s looks not so flattened.

Is anybody hearing anything about the RF's coming with the F-101B exhausts instead of F-101A/C exhausts?

As for me, the same as on «A/C»: https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10547646/40/1.

Cheers! 🙃

Edited by Nikolay Polyakov
28 minutes ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Yes, a bit wider but not so evident as pictured above:

29146846557_75da3d458c_o.jpg

The curve looks smooth and the shape is far better than on a plan provided by Detail & Scale (very frustrating):

29146846707_87be04afdb_o.jpg

The windshield needs to be compressed on the sides and glued on its place, after that it’s looks not so flattened.

As for me, the same as on «A/C»: https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10547646/40/1

Cheers! 🙃

I don't know then. There's something weird about this kit. I can't figure out where it is... 

Edited by redwoodmodels
8 hours ago, redwoodmodels said:

It's too wide. I've been looking at the real thing (we have one in our museum), and this kit is off. I couldn't figure out why, but I think someone has.  It would explain why the canopy is flat too. I attached his picture to this post. 
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1898060503579560&id=736521713066784

His references: 
https://airandspace.si.edu/collection-objects/mcdonnell-f-101-voodoo-family-wars-and-conflicts-vietnam-war-general-boeing-kc-1
https://airandspace.si.edu/collection-objects/mcdonnell-f-101-voodoo-family-wars-and-conflicts-vietnam-war-general-boeing-kc-4

The canopy doesn't fair smoothly into the fuselage, but it's not much wider at the canopy base than the canopy. The kit fuselage is at least twice as wide as that canopy. It just sort of balloons out with a really significant curve. Monogram is right. Kittyhawk is very, very wrong. 

https://www.evergreenmuseum.org/new-artifact-mcdonnell-f-101a-voodoo 

They might want to measure this thing to see what else needs replacing before they proceed. It could be like the Hobby Boss Corsair II. 

Hi Redwood,

Thanks for the links to the great photos! 

I would be a little surprised to find the fuselage to be way off, since it looks like KH might have looked at the Monogram kit as part of their "research." It will be interesting to compare the RF-101A/C nose with Koster's and C&H's. :whistle: 

I'm not sure I trust that drawing. D&S had some very good ones, like Dana Bell's F-100 drawings, but that F-101 drawing looks off. Note they got the intakes wrong, too. These from McDonnell might be slightly more accurate (Source: McDonnell via Aviation Archives blog ), although station diagram drawings aren't really intended to show accurate shapes.

6IRg08b.jpg

WupRb79.jpg

As for the afterburners, the photos of the sprues show the appropriate short nozzles (LINK). I'm not sure what the comment regarding the afterburners on the FB page is talking about. It's pretty obvious when comparing photos of the built kit with the photo of the real jet that the commenter provided that the kit nozzles are the correct short ones. They could have been done a lot better, but they're definitely not F-101B afterburners. I'd still like to see someone release some nice resin ones for both versions.

Cheers!

Ben

Edited by Ben Brown
Because I can't spel.
1 hour ago, Ben Brown said:

D&S had some very good ones, like Dana Bell's F-100 drawings, but that F-101 drawing looks off.

That’s surprised me too, because I don’t expect to see the wrong intakes on it.

1 hour ago, Ben Brown said:

These from McDonnell might be slightly more accurate (Source: McDonnell via Aviation Archives blog ), although station diagram drawings aren't really intended to show accurate shapes.

Thanks Ben, these looks good enough!

Cheers! 🙃

Magnificent Nikolay!

Weird, but we're going to have to Dremel back the fwd window surrounds to get the windows flush with the exterior.

The irony is that the Fairchild KA-1 cameras' windows aft of the cockpit area were inset, but we get the flush, closed, doors.

I'm liking this kit more and more as I can identify exactly what's wrong with it. Please scale it up to 1/32 Kitty Hawk, then we can do the whole interior with or without your help.

I'd like trigometric Fairchild KA-2 apertures or later Hycon KS-72 cameras a-peepin' rather than what looks like a movie camera spool-to-spool in the sideways oblique windows: some Dremelling is going to happen here!

Tony

53 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Back in the day, when Trumpeter were starting up, and asking for suggestions, I asked Mr Song for the A/C in 1/32. I'm still hoping, and I also want the F-84F in 1/32. Come on guys, pull your fingers out, these are gaps in the market that need filling!

As long as they do not use this kit as the basis we should be good for a 1/32nd. I have seen the kit built in 1/32nd but it was the ID vacuform and my buddy did a heck of a lot of work. It was a decent size too and not overly huge. I think it would be a good seller with lots of great markings.

On 8/25/2018 at 1:55 AM, bentwaters81tfw said:

How did they get it wrong when they have the scale drawings? The nose/cockpit is way off.

In the case of the Voodoo, it’s seems that the shape of an intakes are so (?) complex to recreate (you know that better than anyone) and the few-day research is not enough. The other parts are having some complex shapes too, and it’s not so hard to made a snowball of the mistakes that leads to an ugly final results.

Edited by Nikolay Polyakov
On 24 August 2018 at 10:52 PM, bentwaters81tfw said:

Back in the day, when Trumpeter were starting up, and asking for suggestions, I asked Mr Song for the A/C in 1/32. I'm still hoping, and I also want the F-84F in 1/32. Come on guys, pull your fingers out, these are gaps in the market that need filling!

I'll second that. Been waiting a while for the Streak and Flash but a big Voodoo would be great.

On 24 August 2018 at 11:55 PM, bentwaters81tfw said:

Yep, I have the Combat Models vacform. As you say, it needs a lot of work. How did they get it wrong when they have the scale drawings? The nose/cockpit is way off.

What is 'way off' on the Kitty Hawk RF-101C nose? Or do you mean the old vacform kit? 

Tony 

45 minutes ago, Ben Brown said:

I saw a built Combat kit, once.

This one: Combat Models 1/32 F-101C Voodoo?

45 minutes ago, Ben Brown said:

It looked like an RF-101C from across a dark room. It was more like a caracture of a Voodoo.

Don’t get me wrong, but an author did a great, clean and very detailed job! It would be the best Voodoo if the model doesn’t have all these engendering errors...

Thanks Ben! 🤝

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/4/2018 at 6:51 PM, Don said:

Still on the fence with this one. Having built the KH A/C single seat fighter its not the most pleasant build and having to turn a blind eye to its glaring inaccuracies still bothers me.  I imagine this kit will be about the same in both regards. At $69ish USD too...bit steep for me personally considering the work needed and other kits that I want that will require less work and are more accurate OBB (and cheaper too!). Each to their own and like I said I'm still on the fence. If I can get the kit for cheap(er) then maybe but not at close to $70 USD.

Regards,

Don

I can get it locally for $53 minus 10% plus 6% MI sales tax and I am not sure it is worth it.But since its the only game in town for a 1/48 RF-101,I may bvite the bullet! Hell I probably will!

17 minutes ago, F4DPhantomII said:

I can get it locally for $53 minus 10% plus 6% MI sales tax and I am not sure it is worth it.But since its the only game in town for a 1/48 RF-101,I may bvite the bullet! Hell I probably will!

That's a good price for a US retailer. Hobbyeasy is selling them for $45.61, but after shipping it would still be more than you're paying.

23 hours ago, F4DPhantomII said:

23 hours ago, Mstor said:

That's a good price for a US retailer. Hobbyeasy is selling them for $45.61, but after shipping it would still be more than you're paying.

I can’t resist and can’t wait guys, so I got mine from eBay for $50 + $16.50 for the shipping - not a bargain price like with my other Voodoo kits (got them about a $35-40 with free shipping) - but I’m always looking at the seller’s rating, because I don’t want to receive the damaged box full of unusable plastic 😑

Thanks!

• 1 month later...
On 6/22/2018 at 9:38 PM, 11bee said:

We have a winner!    That’s the one.   Good example of how to operate.   Unlike the crew at KH.    

Not just Voodoo, KH made mistakes in their Su-17/22 releases and carried them in all three versions they released.

In this day and age when references and advice are available in abundance, one wonders why these manufacturers releasing kits in quick succession make such glaring omissions?

It could be that they are not aware who their target audience is. As all this advice and criticism might be lost in translation going to the other end of the world. Or it be just a heedless, 'let it be' attitude to save costs and get the product to the market to sell regardless of accuracy.  

Did this kit make it to the U.S. yet? Freetime hobbies is taking preorders for the "second shipment", but I did not notice it come into stock there.

I have not seen it show up at Sprue Brothers yet. I now have alerts set at a few different retailers for this kit.

I have waited this long, so I can wait a little longer.

• 2 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Hello Kurt,

have you received your kit?

I have not pre-ordered one, I am just waiting for one of my favorite shops to list the kit.  No sign of it yet here in the United States.

• 2 weeks later...