Jump to content
ARC Discussion Forums

Sign in to follow this  
Kurt H.

Kitty Hawk RF-101A/C

Recommended Posts

On 11/12/2018 at 12:35 PM, Kurt H. said:

 

I have not pre-ordered one, I am just waiting for one of my favorite shops to list the kit.  No sign of it yet here in the United States.

 

It’s not in a hobby shops here in Russia, too. Only a pre-order.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A seller on Amazon, has the KittyHawk RF-101C for $59.99, and it is eligible for prime.

Edited by Kurt H.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would someone want to have my kit? Its not started and I can sell it for US$75.00 shipped. 

 

I m not looking for trade anymore. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They are much cheaper on eBay. Some very cheap with slow boat shipping from China. Others a bit more with regular air mail shipping.

If you don't do eBay, Hobbyeasy has it for $45.61 with shipping to US about $11.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks like we are very close to general availability, Freetime Hobbies has it  in stock for $47.95

 

:thumbsup2:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just saw were dmold modelworks has new conv. Set for nose. Has cameras & correct fwd fuselage. But of course out of stock!! Hope he restocks soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/5/2018 at 4:45 AM, Kurt H. said:

It looks like we are very close to general availability, Freetime Hobbies has it  in stock for $47.95

 

:thumbsup2:

 

 

I was there yesterday and they had several on the shelf. I didn't get one, but one of the guys I drove up with did. Looks good in the box, but that is as far as I got. I have no interest in the aircraft and it's Kittyhawk........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Robert key said:

I just saw were dmold modelworks has new conv. Set for nose. Has cameras & correct fwd fuselage. But of course out of stock!! Hope he restocks soon.

 

He must be recently out of stock as I ordered one last Wednesday and it's on its way. From experience I'd keep checking and he'll have it again soon (except for the Do17 tail which is permanently out of stock and which I REALLY WANT!). 🙂

 

Jon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/5/2018 at 12:45 PM, Kurt H. said:

It looks like we are very close to general availability, Freetime Hobbies has it  in stock for $47.95

Great price! Now it's in Russia. It's about $77 or so...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My RF-101 arrived. I looked at the parts and the instructions, but did not yet open the bags. The things that concern me are the multi part exhaust cans, and all the open panels.  I see Sprue brothers has Masks, and PE from Eduard in stock. It looks like it could definitely would benefit from aftermarket exhaust cans.  I will keep watching to see what becomes available for this kit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Robert key said:

Hi,Jon you were right. Just ordered the set from dmolds today. Happy happy thanks, btw where is he located? 

Dmitri is in Russia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9 December 2018 at 8:18 AM, jonbryon said:

 

He must be recently out of stock as I ordered one last Wednesday and it's on its way. From experience I'd keep checking and he'll have it again soon (except for the Do17 tail which is permanently out of stock and which I REALLY WANT!). 🙂

 

Jon

 

Ordered a set too, today, and might need a second.

Not sure if there are flanges on the viewfinder and ventral trigonal apertures to hold the panes as there are for the forward and side camera windows. 

The reason I ask is that the t-shaped clear part in the KH kit is too thin, so needs cutting apart into two and inserting from the outside (and not attached as one piece from the inside, unless the DMold parts have compensated for the flimsy KH offering). 

Either that or DMold please cast a chunkier clear part that's man enough to provide a flush fit.

 

Have bought the Eduard etch for the 'pit, including seat belts. Looks snazzy.

 

Love the RF-101C. Secretly hoping KH do a 1/32 version soon!

 

Tony 

 

p.s. DMold's site states that the Dornier tail is out of production, not simply out of stock. 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/9/2018 at 10:16 PM, Kurt H. said:

It looks like it could definitely would benefit from aftermarket exhaust cans.

As for me, the kit exhaust part are excellent (except the vague instructions tips for bend a PE part), the three-pieces covers fits amazingly well.

 

Cheers! 😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Ben Brown,

 

Ben, an Eduard makes a PE kit for an RF-101C with an IP looks like this:

070116-F-1234S-007.JPG

 

Not a bad improvement, but for me it will be great to have a good kit parts:

49939_01.jpg

 

With this aftermarket I can build a late Vietnam RF-101C in a SEA color scheme...

 

Did I need to do these openings:

rf-101c_56-0166_06_of_18.jpg

 

or I will need these vents:

rf-101c_56-0214_27_of_52.jpg

 

And the last question: is these decals are suitable for the late Vietnam bird (these dots looks cool, I want to use a bottom tail fin tip decals):

4850.jpg

 

There is a lot of belly panels difference between the different airframes...

 

Cheers! 😎

Edited by Nikolay Polyakov

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Nikolay!

 

That Eduard instrument panel looks pretty good! You know you're making it more and more difficult for me to avoid buying the kit?  😄   I normally don't like PE panels, because the instrument bezels don't stand out from the panel very much, but the F-101 only had a couple of bezels, so PE works well.

 

For the camera openings, you can just scribe them into the belly, if they're not already there. Those covers were normally closed. The vents would probably be on a later RF-101. I saw a post somewhere that explained what they were for, but I can't recall where I saw it. Someone with more knowledge of the jet than me can confirm. 

 

For the Printscale decals, I think all of those subjects would work for a late Vietnam jet, although again, others will know more. You might want to try testing a decal from one of the subjects you won't be using. I've read some concerning reviews about them (brittle, underlying colors show through, etc.). The ones I bought were missing the Insignia Blue parts of the national insignia! At the very least, you might want to paint the tail white where the polka dot decals will go. I like that paint scheme, too! 

 

Cheers!

 

Ben

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Ben! Thanks for the reply 🤝

 

2 hours ago, Ben Brown said:

You know you're making it more and more difficult for me to avoid buying the kit?  😄

You haven’t bought this kit, yet?!

 

2 hours ago, Ben Brown said:

I normally don't like PE panels, because the instrument bezels don't stand out from the panel very much, but the F-101 only had a couple of bezels, so PE works well.

Yes, I hope it will look great, but I like the Kitty Hawk’s solution a lot.

 

2 hours ago, Ben Brown said:

For the camera openings, you can just scribe them into the belly, if they're not already there. Those covers were normally closed.

Oh, I haven’t noticed the opening mechanism on a photo - thanks! These panels are already on a belly.

 

2 hours ago, Ben Brown said:

The vents would probably be on a later RF-101.

Looks I can do it from a spare PE parts (or search for a suitable solution), if no - there’s no problem, right?

 

2 hours ago, Ben Brown said:

I saw a post somewhere that explained what they were for, but I can't recall where I saw it.

Yes, someone’s explained it on a forums... I think it’s for some electronic (or cameras) equipment.

 

2 hours ago, Ben Brown said:

For the Printscale decals, I think all of those subjects would work for a late Vietnam jet, although again, others will know more. You might want to try testing a decal from one of the subjects you won't be using. I've read some concerning reviews about them (brittle, underlying colors show through, etc.). The ones I bought were missing the Insignia Blue parts of the national insignia!

Thanks, I’ll check them in the store - I sawed it’s in stock.

 

2 hours ago, Ben Brown said:

At the very least, you might want to paint the tail white where the polka dot decals will go. I like that paint scheme, too!

Actually, I planned to build her in the NMF scheme, but I ordered an Eduard’s PE-set with a late IP - why not to try something new and do the SEA camouflage?!

 

Cheers! 😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm waiting to see if anyone releases a correction for the intakes before I buy the kit, because I'm too lazy to fix it myself. I've done that on several C&H and Koster conversions, already. I'm also still rapidly falling down the race car modeling rabbit hole, so airplanes are on hold for a while.  😄

 

Cheers!

 

Ben

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nikolay, from my observation, the polka dot field at the top of the tail seems to have been limited to the squadron CO's aircraft only.  All of the other RF-101C airframes in the SEA scheme that I've seen do NOT have the polka dots.  Note that print scale has very oversize polka dots on their sheet.  In reality the individual polka dots were much smaller and much more numerous.  Here is a 45th TRS unit photo from 1970 at TSN AFB not long before RF-101 operations in SEA were wound down because of airframe attrition.  The gent standing third from the right is my father.

 

2EEMsVi.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/28/2018 at 7:06 PM, Ben Brown said:

I'm waiting to see if anyone releases a correction for the intakes before I buy the kit, because I'm too lazy to fix it myself.

It’s not so time-consumptive, believe me Ben! And all will be faster if you have a «hinge» scribing template (actually, it’s needed for a nose IFR probe bay doors, too).

 

On 12/28/2018 at 7:06 PM, Ben Brown said:

I've done that on several C&H and Koster conversions, already.

That’s a lot of work, I think...

 

On 12/28/2018 at 9:23 PM, Cameron Lynch said:

Nikolay, from my observation, the polka dot field at the top of the tail seems to have been limited to the squadron CO's aircraft only.

Thanks Cameron!

 

On 12/28/2018 at 9:23 PM, Cameron Lynch said:

Note that print scale has very oversize polka dots on their sheet. In reality the individual polka dots were much smaller and much more numerous.

Yes, that’s very notable on the photo! I don’t ever seen these «dotted» airframes on a real photos - thanks again! I think it would be not so hard to paint it by myself. Anyway, can you suggest some good (not a fictional) decals for an RF-101Cs?

 

On 12/28/2018 at 9:23 PM, Cameron Lynch said:

Here is a 45th TRS unit photo from 1970 at TSN AFB not long before RF-101 operations in SEA were wound down because of airframe attrition.

Thanks for sharing, the quality of the photo is outstanding!

 

On 12/28/2018 at 9:23 PM, Cameron Lynch said:

The gent standing third from the right is my father.

I think you’re proud of him! These staff photos are so great 👍

 

Thanks guys! 🤝

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/24/2018 at 10:04 PM, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Hello!

 

Well, a very interesting article from Gary Wickham here: Dry Fit Review: Gary puts together the KittyHawk 1:48 McDonnell RF-101C & G/H. Gary did a great dry-fit job with correcting an intakes and also he shows us the correct hinge point of the flaps.

 

Cheers!

 

Hi,

 

I've just oredered the RF-101C kit after I read extra parts were included to correct the intake issue. Gary doesn't mention these in his dry build for some reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, serendip said:

 

Hi,

 

I've just oredered the RF-101C kit after I read extra parts were included to correct the intake issue. Gary doesn't mention these in his dry build for some reason.

 

I am slowly building the RF-101C kit and have got to the painting stage, no extra parts included to correct the intake issue that I can see. I am in the UK so maybe different here?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...