1/32 KA-6A tanker conversion

Hi all,

Ive just added a 1/32 Trumpeter A-6A Intruder and would like to build the tanker version from Steel Beach.

My questions are, is the Steel Beach conversion the only thing I need? There doesn't seem to be a lot in the conversion. I've seen allthumbs build of the EA-6A, and his great referance material, what's a good referance book for my build, the interweb doesn't seem to throw much up for my chosen subject.

The Avionix cockpit doesn't seem to add much that couldn't be added with a small amount of time, is it as good/mediocre as the pictures? I will change the seats though.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

The Woo.

Doing the same and I have a WIP at LSP regarding that.

There are a few issues depending if you start with a Alpha or an Echo and depending the timeframe your KA-6D may be.

I started with an Alpha for a desert storm build, so it will be different for a VietNam KA-6D

By then most tankers were of the A-6E retrofit, so DECM antenna needs to be scratched from the A model.

And then the inner wing strake needs to be moved inboard, these were moved because of the addition of the DECM antennas

here's my attempt at the DECM antenna, but something is wrong with the kit's dimension. Even the shape of the included DECM antennas on trump A-6E are wrong, but it's a small detail nobody will notice

A6A7_152_A6_DECM.png

Cockpit wise, the steelbeach conversion has the almost blank right side IP, so you're good.

You'll need to remove the stick pedestal on the WSO side

A6A7_145_A6_cockpitbase.png

I think that the only bit the steelbeach kit misses is the rather large fin antenna behind the cockpit and a square antenna on the top fuselage

Both parts seems to be in the 1/48 KA-6D kit but I can't find them in my 1/32 conversion kit

I decided to stick with resin seats (there is a huge debate about seat accuracy as well from the kit's or aftermarkets) and eduard colour PE

A choice I regret everytime. These prepainted PE are just flat and a pain to match colour paint . I wish I stayed away from these

need to check also if you need the perforated brakes. I think most tankers had them

Hope that helps

Edited by Red Dog

I'm not sure why I didn't put the blade antenna and box for the spine in the 1/32 set. I'll chock it up to old age. If my research was correct, the blade antenna and box were later retrofits. I don't believe they were on early KA-6D's.

Make sure to paint the lights on the leading edge of the tail and on the front gear door blue/green. They were red on the A-6, but blue/green on the KA-6.

Edited by Darren Roberts

yeah Darren that concur with my research too.

Don't sweat it, it's very easily scratched 🙂

one thing you may consider adding to your build Wafu is a buddy buddy refuelling pod. KA-6D often loaded them as backup in case of main system failure

SAC had one in 1/32; I plan on using it on my build as it breaks nicely the monotony of the 4-5 fuel bags

Thanks guys, very helpful.

I didn't realise I'd have to chop into the kit to move the wing fence, out comes the razor saw then?

Its a very good idea to add the refuel buddy tank, I'd seen one on eBay but wasn't sure if they ever fitted one on to the aircraft, now I know.

Ive been looking at research material to buy and have narrowed it down to the Intruder book with one flying in the sunset, I take it this would give me enough detailed instruction on the differances from the A-6A to a tanker version? failing this I'm not sure what to pick up?

Thanks again guys, I'm off to order the conversion from Sprue Brothers or try to find one this side of the pond.

if you don't want to move the inner fence (which honestly is a pain), just make a vietnam era tanker, then you don't need to do the DECM and no need to move the fences

Edited by Red Dog
1 hour ago, Red Dog said:

if you don't want to move the inner fence (which honestly is a pain), just make a vietnam era tanker, then you don't need to do the DECM and no need to move the fences

Red Dog, please see http://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2015/09/grumman-6a-vs-6e-intruder.html. I noticed the change in location of the fence but didn't know why or when (effectivity/retrofit). Do you have any specifics on that?

I was told asking the same question over at LSP that it is the addition of the DESM antennas that created the need to move the fences inboard.

So the A-6A have the full stall strips on the part of the forward wing, closest to the fuselage, no DECM antennas and the inner wingfences outboard of the pylon. 

The A-6E have the half stall strips, the DECM antennas and the inner wing fences placed inboard the pylon

Kit wise, the A-6A have the right location for the fence (outboard the pylon) The A-6E is wrong and has the same location of the fence as the A-6A kit, that's wrong for the A-6E

A6A7_141_A6_wingfence.png

In case you wonder, here's what is the DECM antenna, from the trumpeter A6E kit 

A6A7_151_A6E_DECM.png

Notice the half stall strip as opposed to early A-6A with no DECM and the full lenght stall strip

Of course the KA-6D being an hybrid of an A-6A & A-6E, it all comes down to what timeframe you build the KA-6D (and which model you start with from trumpeter (A or E?))

if it's converted from an early A and flying in Vietnam era, then you're good and won't need to change anything.

if like me you do a late KA-6D from Desert Storm (and starting with the Trumpeter A-6A, then you need to add the DECM antennas and move the fences inboard of the pylon as in the picture above.

That modification would also be done on any trump A-6E, save for adding the DECM which is already implemented, but they didn't move the wing fence

Thanks again for all the useful information. I've decided to start looking at building a KA-6 from the mid-late 70's, grey over white with striking markings. In addition to the centre line refuel point, a buddy pod. I'm going to try to avoid touching the wing fence's if at all possible. 

All ll I need to do now is start the hunt for the parts and collect referance. 

23 hours ago, Red Dog said:

I was told asking the same question over at LSP that it is the addition of the DESM antennas that created the need to move the fences inboard.

So the A-6A have the full stall strips on the part of the forward wing, closest to the fuselage, no DECM antennas and the inner wingfences outboard of the pylon. 

The A-6E have the half stall strips, the DECM antennas and the inner wing fences placed inboard the pylon

Kit wise, the A-6A have the right location for the fence (outboard the pylon) The A-6E is wrong and has the same location of the fence as the A-6A kit, that's wrong for the A-6E

In case you wonder, here's what is the DECM antenna, from the trumpeter A6E kit 

Notice the half stall strip as opposed to early A-6A with no DECM and the full lenght stall strip

Of course the KA-6D being an hybrid of an A-6A & A-6E, it all comes down to what timeframe you build the KA-6D (and which model you start with from trumpeter (A or E?))

if it's converted from an early A and flying in Vietnam era, then you're good and won't need to change anything.

if like me you do a late KA-6D from Desert Storm (and starting with the Trumpeter A-6A, then you need to add the DECM antennas and move the fences inboard of the pylon as in the picture above.

That modification would also be done on any trump A-6E, save for adding the DECM which is already implemented, but they didn't move the wing fence

Thanks for the prompt response. That was my second guess and clarifies the DECM antenna involved (A's had a boom-mounted DECM antenna on the outboard pylon).