1/48 Italeri (Kinetic)Grumman S-2E Tracker

G'day people,

I am building this as part of a group build on another channel, but I would like to post progress here as well,

024_zpsimiaqoza.jpg

It the Italeri re-pop of the Kinetic kit. The kit has a few shortfalls and mistakes which have already been well documented. I will correct some, and others I will live with. I had ordered some PE when I bought the kit but made a start in the meantime, assembling what I could.

The cockpit parts were cleaned up in anticipation of the PE. The detail provided in the kit could best be summed up as 'sparse' so it was no big loss.

027_zpsvinv2shw.jpg

The engine nacelles and major wing sections were assembled

025_zps1txqftcv.jpg

The engine nacelles aft of the engine cowl had a more or less constant taper instead of being somewhat 'waisted'. There is a resin correction for this but I can live with this subtle error rather than  shell out the cash and more importantly potentially screw up the parts alignment geometry as the kit parts fit very well. That is my personal preference but if you simply just cannot tolerate the shape issue, have at it. One error I did correct however is that Kinetic would have the builder attach the CSD intakes as mirror images of each other, but in fact the CSD intakes should be on the right hand side of each nacelle.

007_zpsgauz5dxn.jpg

I filled the locating hole on the left nacelle with super glue and will simply attach the CSD intake on the right side. I also deviated from the kit instructions by attaching the sonobuoy fairings to their respective left/right halves before joining the nacelle parts together so as to get a better alignment between the four parts. I was pretty happy with the results and only a small smear of filler was required to clean up the seams.

002_zpsx5jqvity.jpg

003_zpswscak7v8.jpg

The wing mounted searchlight has a crystal clear lens provided but absolutely no searchlight details included, so that big lens let you see that there is in fact nothing there!

I joined the searchlight halves and once the glue had dried, removed the molded solid rear face and added some hint of an internal structure and then added some spurious wiring to add an element of 'busyness'

030_zpsqatlvtfz.jpg

030_zpsqatlvtfz.jpg

004_zpsn1i5r4vc.jpg

The fit of the searchlight fairing to the to the wing could be better,

005_zpskakcwjmw.jpg

Yikes!

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy121

Looking good.  Love the work you did on the search light. My Stoof is sitting on the shelf of doom after it took a header off my work bench.  Busted the wings up.  Your post is making me feel like I have to work on it.

8 hours ago, dekon70 said:

Looking good.  Love the work you did on the search light. My Stoof is sitting on the shelf of doom after it took a header off my work bench.  Busted the wings up.  Your post is making me feel like I have to work on it.

Ouch!

G'day Dekon, I hope you can get back to it. How much nose weight will thing require, most of the on-line builds that i have read indicate that a reasonable amount will be needed.

G'day people,

The props have been cleaned up and look good, there were only some minor sink marks on the rear faces which were pretty easy to eliminate

001_zps3oheo6dv.jpg

002_zpsp2fxmwdw.jpg

the kit donks look okay as well. I have given them a quick blast with some aluminium

007_zpspgvotpur.jpg

008_zpslmmdaljy.jpg

The cockpit has received some random details in the form of circuit breaker panels and control boxes to busy it up.

008_zpsag3cuuqa.jpg

009_zpsdmzbwnkp.jpg

It seems that the side walls had some form of soundproofing installed, so the exposed framework is not correct. I can live with it.

My PE sets have arrived and I have been busy folding and gluing

004_zpsrvf7wk21.jpg

011_zpskqnbynek.jpg

006_zpsnfirrjch.jpg

008_zpswc3pycai.jpg

009_zpslsbhml7f.jpg

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy121

Sorry Pappy, I do not remember how much weight I put in.  I taped up all the major assemblies and added the weight behind the cockpit bulkhead.  The PE set really spices the cockpit up.  Are you going to open the ditching hatches to see all the work you put into the cockpit?

On 5/21/2018 at 12:26 AM, dekon70 said:

Sorry Pappy, I do not remember how much weight I put in.  I taped up all the major assemblies and added the weight behind the cockpit bulkhead.  The PE set really spices the cockpit up.  Are you going to open the ditching hatches to see all the work you put into the cockpit?

G'day Dekon,

No probs, the instructions recommend 50g, so I will start there. I won't be opening the ditching hatches, none of my pics show them routinely  open. the canopy affords a pretty good view into the cockpit in any case

On 5/21/2018 at 1:38 AM, crushkill said:

Looking great so far 

Cheers CK,

G'day people,

Well, first to catch you all up, I have splashed some paint around, this is what I ended up with,

003_zpsvrnwpewb.jpg

004_zpsrdbsqprl.jpg

004_zpsa4svcbqa.jpg

003_zpsdzese8zv.jpg

008_zpssggfmv6e.jpg

007_zps5bdvj9xq.jpg

Next up, I have been beavering away on the weapons bay,

006_zpsqiww7lgg.jpg

004_zpsr2xe2fwc.jpg

004_zpsr2xe2fwc.jpg

This is basically a small kit in itself and what you see is comprised of about 70 pieces of PE. It took me about four nights to add the various formers and structural items. I was intending to add a couple of tin fish in there but that obscure most of the detail,

cheers,

Pappy

8 hours ago, dekon70 said:

Outstanding build Pappy!

Thanks very much Dekon

G'day people,

I managed to get some prep work in on the undercarriage today. The upper section of the nosegear unit is supplied in two halves. This makes for an awkward seam and the crossbeam halves bridging the upper yoke section did not line up nicely. My solution was to cut away the central section and replace with plastic rod, simple and effective, plus no seam to tidy up.

E5YUvCS.jpg

oSlh3XS.jpg

The PE oleo scissor links and tie down rings were added and this part is ready for paint.

The main gear units were next and these are assembled form two parts, a central leg and a crossbeam/bracing unit that incorporates a delicate tube assembly.  The kit's heavy sprue attachment points meant that I manged to damage one of the units during clean up requiring a repair and substitution with more plastic rod. The addition of some PE scissor links and other items was next. The PE included replacements for both sides of the scissor links, but I thought the PE items lacked bulk, instead looking too flimsy so I elected to only partially replace the scissor links

3hUBX2A.jpg

These units still require the addition of hydraulic brake lines lines

Finally, I have finished the arrestor hook assembly. The unmodified kit item has a very chunky 'hook' if left unmolested

QFlfgvA.jpg

ximq3Xs.jpg

I added some scrap sprue details suitable sanded to shape to improve this area

A1xCqFl.jpg

nU3hyiI.jpg

cheers,

Pappy

G'day people

So, some plumbing wok today. I have added a little bit more detail to the main gear bays to increase the busyness. I dam not shooting for complete accuracy, just a sense of the real thing and something to apply a wash around,

002_zpskidnrkwx.jpg

005_zpsnygkpuge.jpg

The weapons bay doors had their hinges removed and replaced with PE 'piano hinge' parts

003_zpsxifzcrjr.jpg

The searchlight housing has been faired into the starboard wing

010_zpsd6pjdwyv.jpg

011_zpsycg56how.jpg

Although not the best fitting part, it was not difficult to accomplish, just requiring filler and patience.

I have also started to add the exhaust stubs to the exhaust openings

007_zpsaqenxav2.jpg

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy121
16 hours ago, Brad-M said:

Superb work!

Brad

cheers Brad

7 hours ago, DIO said:

Great work done.

Will be around, watching!

Thanks for sharing,

Cheers,

DIO

Yia sou megale!  (nice Prowler work BTW)

G'day people,

I managed to get a little painting done today.  First up, the arrestor hook has received a base white coat in preparation for (yet more) masking and the application of black stripes

001_zpsgm7rnayf.jpg

002_zps8restndj.jpg

Next up the rocket launchers

004_zpshzfo1cfg.jpg

003_zpsxtmucepq.jpg

The main gear bays where also given a coat of white followed by the application of a subtle wash. From my pictures, it seems that these bays did not get overly dirty so I will keep the weathering effects light.

005_zpsitfvye5j.jpg

006_zpszujrvszx.jpg

Finally, the weapons bay was given several light coats of white to build up the colour density .

007_zpstf2qa9yw.jpg

The details re very subtle and it is very easy to obscure them with a heavy application of colour. I also glued in the sensor dome so that I wouldn't forget when it was time to close up the fuselage. My problem during test fitting is that I am not an octopus and did not have enough hands to hold the various sub-assemblies in place whilst closing the fuselage, which mean things can slip out of their correct spot. I have already fixed the cockpit bulkhead and arrestor hook bays in place by attaching these to one side only and holding the two fuselage halves together with laccy bands until the glue had set. I was going to do something similar with the sensor dome but the attaching point is small and allows some play.  My solution (a sort of Rube Goldberg device) was to attach one end of a strip of plastic stock to the top of the weapons bay  and have the other end resting (i.e. not glued) on top of the sensor dome part

009_zpse2jc1hpv.jpg

This now acts as a sort of spring, preventing the part from falling into the fuselage but with enough downwards pressure to hold the part straight and assist with alignment when the  fuselage halves are being joined. I thought about re-engineering the part to allow me to insert it once the fuselage is together but this is a simpler solution.

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy121
4 hours ago, a4s4eva said:

I have a walk around here Pappy that may be useful

G'day Calum,

Many thanks for the link, I have already found a bunch of stuff I got wrong!

Seriously, I want to build a RAN Tracker at some point so the walk around will prove very useful when the time comes,

cheers,

Pappy

On 6/2/2018 at 4:44 AM, CaptainObvious said:

Hi Pappy,

Seriously nice work.

The cockpit is fantastic and the extra effort you put into the tailhook really made a difference. 

Thanks very much. The hook just did not look right OOB.

G'day people,

Well, I have managed to get the fuselage nearly together, I still need to clean up the seam on the canopy.

006_zpsepuqrd5u.jpg

Kinetic provide the canopy very unhelpfully in two parts, no doubt to capture the bulged windows. The seam between the two front windows will proved very tricky as there is not much frame material separating the clear sections.

009_zpsk4a8ljov.jpg

The upper fuselage has several sink marks corresponding to the location of the alignment pins which will require some putty to remedy, otherwise the fit is not too bad. The fuselage underside went together without any hassles other than having to take care around the large dome

005_zps2zw71f55.jpg

The only niggles I had were with the nosecone which needed a small smear of putty to fair in the lower left side

007_zpszmvbrins.jpg

And the tail. Kinetic have molded the fin trailing edge integral to the right fuselage half, which means that they can achieve a commendably thin training edge, however, the seam on the left side of the fin is pretty deep. The seam also passes through the rudder trim tab but also extends vertically above and below it which will require additional filling to eliminate  and some re-scribing to restore lost panel lines

Right side

010_zps0ethayym.jpg

Left side

012_zpsszzoihby.jpg

The putty is there because I slipped with I slipped with the scriber and now need to re-scribe this line.

Shown dry fitted below, the fit of the wings is also very good, I think you could almost paint these separately and add them at the end of the build - almost that is except that the underside is a wee bit gappy for my liking.

008_zpsdo2zozmx.jpg

Meanwhile I have been busy working on the undercarriage. I swapped out the kit wheels with resin items as I really hate the Kinetic  'wheel sandwich' method of construction. The wheels are only dry fitted in these pics, I will need to find where the flat spot goeas when the jet has her stance set up.

002_zpshx20rtgl.jpg

001_zpshpj0dk7g.jpg

Main gear bays received some light weathering after some small details were picked out.

004_zpshaizsvpn.jpg

The U/C doors have also been painted up

003_zpsqfev6vi3.jpg

cheers,

Pappy

On 6/5/2018 at 4:27 PM, a4s4eva said:

great work so far Pappy

Cheers Calum,

I am not shooting for 100% accuracy on this one, just trying to pop some details out. The kit has a number of inaccuracies, some of which are easier to correct than others. The fuselage has accuracy issues as the section aft of the wing is too long and it appears the rear observation windows may be in the wrong spot, more info here:

http://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2011/07/s2f-one-more-time.html

G'day people,

The fuselage is nearly done. The seams have behaved and I only need to re-scribe a few lines before the canopy can be added and I can call the fuselage done

005_zpsh2clkune.jpg

006_zps5pbphsqw.jpg

In the meanwhile, I drilled out the exhaust stubs and attached the engine nacelles to the inner wing sections. It looks like the openings will need some cleaning up!

010_zpsi9ca3g7r.jpg

007_zps5rviarji.jpg

The fit of the nacelles is generally good, however the sections near the wing leading edges have some decent gaps

008_zpsabxnk5rg.jpg

009_zpsmspwcqtd.jpg

I also managed to get some fun stuff done, tin fish anyone?

001_zps6oebavyg.jpg

cheers,

Pappy

On 6/11/2018 at 11:27 PM, CaptainObvious said:

Fantastic progress!
I really like the look of the landing gears and the weapons.

20 hours ago, Hooker169 said:

http://s37.photobucket.com/user/Opsiras/media/Grumman S-2E/002_zpshx20rtgl.jpg.html

Pappy, how did you achieve that look for your tires?

BTW, this build looks great, you definitely have skills!

Thanks very much fellas, I really appreciate your encouragement.

Hooker, I am not sure what effect you mean? The wheels are replacement resin items as I am not a fan of the way Kinetic has you trap a single piece hub between two tyre halves as invariably this means eliminating a seam that also means losing the tread details.  All I have done to the tyres is to paint them in a very dark grey (not black ) and then pick out the wheel hubs in semi-gloss white followed by the application of a pin wash using oil paints thinned with some white spirits,

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy121

That’s precisely what I was asking, thanks. I just thought it was a more involved process. I’ve always “lightened” up my tire black a bit but this shows me I need to go all the way to gray. Very effective look!

Thanks