Free image hosting at Photobucket appears to be back

Just a heads up, all of my images that were hosted by PB are visible again. I scanned through the in-progress forum here for known threads that had PB images and they are visible again as well.

Cool!

Or is your browser showing them? I can view my pictures (haven´t tried it today, but during the last weeks it worked) because I installed some "short-cut"-program that enables it. Maybe many other browsers got an automatic update?

HAJO

Photobucket has turfed the CEO who implemented the (disastrous) $400 plan.

The new CEO has implemented a new pricing structure, but it seems they'll still charge for 3rd party hosting - $54/year for the basic account.  In an attempt to apologize and bring back some of the 90 million angry users who have almost entirely abandoned the site in the past year, they've re-enabled 3rd party hosting for existing images, although I'd assume this is temporary, and they'll be disappeared again if/when they can rebuild their reputation.

Also worth noting, it looks like they're moving to an entirely paid service - no more free accounts at all.  If that's the case, and if you don't start paying for your hosting, I suspect they'll delete all the free accounts, eventually.  It will probably be a while, maybe a year or more, but it's a good reminder to download your content if you don't have a backup.

https://www.bizjournals.com/denver/news/2018/05/17/photobucket-drops-pricing-that-angered-millions.html

Pat Benatar's song pretty much sums it up for me!!!

"It's a little too little
It's a little too late
I'm a little too hurt
And there's nothin' left that I've gotta say
You can cry to me baby
But there's only so much I can take
Ah, it's a little too little
It's a little too late"

I'll stick with Imgur.  Even if Photobucket went back to what they had, wading through all of the delays due to their website ads was just too painful.

Regards,

Murph

1 hour ago, Murph said:

...  Even if Photobucket went back to what they had, wading through all of the delays due to their website ads was just too painful.

That's exactly correct. Their site was HOR·RI·BLE to actually go to. If they had recognized their gross stupidity within a couple of days, they may have kept most of their users. Instead, they waited until they lost most of their users.

At this point, why would anyone want to go back?

If anyone out there is developing a marketing or business management course, the PB debacle would be a perfect example for your students of how to screw your business in the blink of an eye....though true the downhill slide had already commenced some years ago as the speed of the site slowed dramatically due to the Ads I assume?

I just tried to access my old PB account.  It let me log in, but refused to load any of my pictures..just the usual blizzard of ads and pop-ups.  Fortunately I don't have anything on there that wasn't already backed up on (multiple) hard drives.

SN

When Dave first posted about this topic, I checked my P-bucket account on 23 MAY, and sure enough, I was able to post images onto a forum.  Today however (26 MAY), I can't even open the P-Bucket page at all, and the photos I posted to a thread on the Fine Scale forums are no longer visible.

I had their $2.99/month account for years, and never had my access denied to my uploaded pictures. I've periodically checked old threads that I've posted pictures to that they host and they've always showed up.  I switched to  Image Shack 3 years ago when PB became a nightmare to upload to, but left my PB account open stepping it down to a free account once again.  Just checked PB again, and all my pictures are still there. 

Since they're going to an all paid sight, but monthly rates around what other sites charge, it does indeed seem like they've come to their senses. Too bad that they've lost millions of users that will never go back including me. Image Shack has worked flawlessly from day 1. Why would I want to switch? What could they possibly offer me to make the switch? Nothing that I would be interesting in enough to try them out once again.

Joel