Fightertown Decals and the Tamiya Tomcat...

Thinking of options on what to do with the Tamiya Tomcat markings. Have 1 sheet releasing by the end of the month. Have a second D focused sheet going to print. Have a big catalogue of Tomcats over the last 10+ years of making decals. 

So here's what I've been thinking about. What would be the interest in a Fightertown/Tamiya Tomcat 'update'. Instead of entire jets which could cover 10+ sheets, we do a Tamiya mod only sheet covering lots of markings we've already done. In many cases, it's the tail and strake fitted markings that need the most sizing work. So you'd get those parts that update the sheets already in the catalog. Yes, most of the sheets are sold out but they're in people's collections. So this would let you add on to the existing sheets just the parts needed. 

Many input / thoughts?

thanks!

brian 

Personally, I don't think that's a good idea. There are several of your sheets that I would like to have, but don't because they're sold out everywhere. What good would a sheet like this do for modelers that don't have your earlier sheets?

Hi,

Cool to see some new Fightertown sheets coming.

I would be interested in anything, including the "Tamiya mod" sheet, but I also thought of one sheet that I don't have. The part of the "Tamiya mod" sheet for that would be a somewhat frustrating posession.

On the other hand, decals for the pinstripes on strakes are one of the things I tend to mess up. Back-up in the shape of a "Tamiya mod" sheet would be welcome for me.

Cheers, Stefan.

I'm 50/50 on it. I would love to see "new" sheets but at the same time I don't want to buy a whole newly produced sheet of something I already have just to make sure it fits. So yes, a Tamiya mod sheet for those of us that already have your stuff would definitely be cost effective.

3 hours ago, Dave Roof said:

Personally, I don't think that's a good idea. There are several of your sheets that I would like to have, but don't because they're sold out everywhere. What good would a sheet like this do for modelers that don't have your earlier sheets?

Completely agree!

If you come out with your Tamiya 'update' sets, the demand for your original (complete) FT sets will increase. This will jack up the prices of those originals. If I am in the market for the Tamiya updates,  I will need to find the originals which are now more expensive then they were (maybe $20-30). So I am paying for the update, plus the more expensive originals. I believe many people will shy away. The original owners will not have an incentive to lower their prices, because in the worst case, they have the originals anyway (they lose nothing). 

So your main target is possibly those who currently own your originals. I'd wager that that is not the crowd that will bring a lot of business as in my mind the stereotypical full FT decal owner who hasn't use them yet is not going to get too giddy about the Tamiya update set all of a sudden. This is especially true of the originals are with the 'collectors' rather than builders.

How about a series of full coverage compilation sheets like the new one you are about to release that features one or two of the jets from several of your sheets? A CAG or CO and a line jet (or two if the markings don't vary much) from say 3 or 4 sheets all together. Just thinking of the earliest Fightertown releases as an example, a CAG and a line jet from VF-24, VF-143, VF-102, and VF-211. With the F-14D coming out, maybe do last cruise VF-31 CAG, CO, and a line jet on a sheet with VF-213 CAG, CO, and line jets. This might be a way to provide subjects you've already covered without re-releasing the entire catalog. I know that I'd buy them, even if some of them are planes I already have your decals for.

Of course, many of your sheets don't have artwork requiring precise fit to the tail or rudder like VF-143 and VF-211 do, but these new Tomcat kits are going to generate demand for decals of several squadrons and Fightertown makes some of the best. A lot of us have bought your sheets in the past and used them, and would love to do them again, better this time and on a more worthy and accurate kit.

Edited by Swordsman422

You guys make some great decal sheets but unfortunately they're VERY hard to come by...I say re-release some older sheets in 1/48th and 1/32nd, particularly VF-31and VF-101, and basically other F-14D squadrons.  What about a sheet with markings from the F-14s that were involved with actual air-to-air combat.  Oh, and PLEASE do a sheet with the original VF-1 and VF-2 Squadrons when the F-14 was first introduced circa 1972.

Thank you all for the input. Certainly covered the thoughts and concerns I have about doing this. It is a specific market. Looking and open to options. Reprinting sheets and adding inserts for Tamiya specific is probably the most expensive and least economical option. Sheet cost is the same to reprint and adding a new sheet ups the cost on an already minimal return. And re-releasing whole sheets is a very risky move. We've done a couple repops but most of them don't sell. So we went to changing the sheet number and adding more. That seemed to work well for specific subjects. 

I had thought about doing a half sheet, and printing that double. 

I know I have a number of sheets coming that will cover some redone stuff and some new stuff at the same time. I like our new format of a color and loviz jet option, even though my gosl has always been to provide sheets with the maximum options possible... 

Edited by Brian P: Fightertown Decals

Personally I don't like the idea. If anything i would just prefer some rereleases of older hard to come by sheets to be resized like the VF-2 sheet you guys did. Also I would like to request some F-14Ds from the mid 90s like the yellow tail VF-31 CAG and red tail VF-11 CAG from their Carl Vinson cruise. Also some 1976 VF-1 F-14As would be nice so we won't need to backdate the Tamiya kit.

I am really looking forward to the Tomcats at war sheet. I think that is the way to go: one „topic“, mixed squadrons, some jets new, some that may have been done before. If it features line birds and mission markings I will be buying it!

Daniel

1 hour ago, tomcatfan said:

I am really looking forward to the Tomcats at war sheet. I think that is the way to go: one „topic“, mixed squadrons, some jets new, some that may have been done before. If it features line birds and mission markings I will be buying it!

Daniel

Especially if there are some Desert Storm aircraft that have not been done before.

Really appreciate all the input. And the great ideas. Some of them I'm encorporating and it's given me good stuff to chew on. Looks like a Tamiya addendum will probably not happen at the moment. I may run an insert just for a few jets that I personally wanted to build and offer it as an option if anyone wants one but not have it be an actual release (do a minimum run). 

As for the upcoming Tamiya / AMK sheets, I'll pack them with as many options as possible. Looking like CAG/color jets may be one set and loviz/gray jets on another... 

thanks all! Keep the opinions coming

Brian 

6 hours ago, Brian P: Fightertown Decals said:

Really appreciate all the input. And the great ideas. Some of them I'm encorporating and it's given me good stuff to chew on. Looks like a Tamiya addendum will probably not happen at the moment. I may run an insert just for a few jets that I personally wanted to build and offer it as an option if anyone wants one but not have it be an actual release (do a minimum run). 

As for the upcoming Tamiya / AMK sheets, I'll pack them with as many options as possible. Looking like CAG/color jets may be one set and loviz/gray jets on another... 

thanks all! Keep the opinions coming

Brian 

Great news Brian. I know you probably have not decided on what to put on this addendum but would there possibly be an option for VF-1? I have your F-14 sheet with the colourful VF-1 scheme and I did not realize that I could not use your sheet on the new Tamiya kit. I really appreciate you willingness to do this for use lowly modellers.

36 minutes ago, skyhawk174 said:

Great news Brian. I know you probably have not decided on what to put on this addendum but would there possibly be an option for VF-1? I have your F-14 sheet with the colourful VF-1 scheme and I did not realize that I could not use your sheet on the new Tamiya kit. I really appreciate you willingness to do this for use lowly modellers.

Yes, please!

Be great to see an update sheet for sheets i already own.

If people didnt buy them first time around maybe they might learn a lesson that you get them while you can.

You will also be able to update far more aircraft in far less space on the sheets hence far cheaper. Not as good for you though from cash flow but it may be less work?

Guys who really like the F-14 already have the sheets as there are some awesome schemes on them.

I very much doubt guys who already own sheets will be the same sheets for minor adjustments paying all over again for the same thing for something they “could” do by hand.

HI,

I have interest on new decals for the both Tamiya kit.

Lot of great markings, VF-1 & VF-2 Vietnam war, VF-2 final cruise, VF-101, VF-84 first cruise, VF-41 Sukhoi killer ...

SPang