Fightertown Decals and the Tamiya Tomcat...

Of course, rereleasing the Top Gun movie jets wouldn't be a terrible idea. Maybe a sheet with the Tomcats, Scooters, and F-5s and some of the background airplanes. I remember a row of VF-1 jets with black wolf heads on the tails in one scene.

3 minutes ago, Swordsman422 said:

Of course, rereleasing the Top Gun movie jets wouldn't be a terrible idea. Maybe a sheet with the Tomcats, Scooters, and F-5s and some of the background airplanes. I remember a row of VF-1 jets with black wolf heads on the tails in one scene.

Hmm not that this is a bad idea but would Brian be able to sell enough of them to be financially viable? Maybe as an add on to a sheet with some real F-14 markings.

I am reprinting the 48077 TOPGUN /ADVERSARY sheet with the movie jets. Fortunately there's pretty much nothing on that sheet that needs to be resized for the tamiya kit. The change is really imperceptible unlisss you measure really close 😉

brian 

47 minutes ago, Brian P: Fightertown Decals said:

I am reprinting the 48077 TOPGUN /ADVERSARY sheet with the movie jets. Fortunately there's pretty much nothing on that sheet that needs to be resized for the tamiya kit. The change is really imperceptible unlisss you measure really close 😉

brian 

I have no idea how I missed this the first time around. Maybe because I had no interest in movie Tomcats? Although having said that they would be different.

I'd be more interested in an Update sheet, But to a limit.  I know I don't want to fork over another 100+bucks to "update" my old sheets. One or two at 20.00 a pop is doable otherwise I'll just use what I have and "Make It Work" 

Really looking forward to seeing some of your new sheets Brian.

A VF-31 last cruise option would be great, the 2 hi-viz jets from that cruise are just superb.

Keep up the good work 👍

8 hours ago, Brian P: Fightertown Decals said:

brian 

Would FTD48-075 fit the tamiya F-14A kit after it's re-issued? Really wanna do a low vis VF-1 bird like those seen in Top Gun. But I think those are overall LGG with dark gray markings I think but still a TPS wolf would be nice!

Andy

I suggest this one (F-14B):

unnamed_9.jpg

or this one (F-14B):

f14-squadron-vf102-05.jpg

or this one (F-14D):

f-14d-tomcat-vf-31-tomcatters-aj101-1646

or this one (F-14D):

F14-034-A4.jpg

and of course these ones (F-14A):

f-14a-tomcat-vf-111-sundowners-nl200-161

1195134_-_main.jpg

IMHO they are the most beautiful F-14 liveries ever.

Edited by Alpagueur

Posted this on another thread, but apparently Brian P didn't see it. With regards to making re-releasing previously done subjects made to fit the Tamiya kit, how about doing subjects not previously done by Fightertown?

If someone were to do the original markings for VF-213 circa 1976-78

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8404/8702015179_8066d66e70_b.jpg 8702015179_8066d66e70_b.jpg

and VF-211 from the same period -8249764857_9e24bbd9f7_b.jpg%20

AND have them sized for the Tamiya F-14A kit, then they could be applied to the existing kit without any mods.  

The trouble is that even though Microscale/Superscale did these markings over 3 decades ago, who knows if they even come close to fitting key areas like the ventral fins, the rudders, and canopy rails of the Tamiya kit?

If someone produced them to fit the Tamiya kit, I'd definitely down for them!

I know the current tamiya kits don't really represent what I'm about to say as far as fairings, ecm bumps etc (easily fixed), but even when the Hasegawa kit was king, I felt the 1980's was always a bit underrepresented.

I'm thinking the all over 16440 and TPS A jets from VF-1, VF-2, VF-142, VF-51, VF-24... 

On 5/26/2018 at 10:14 AM, Alpagueur said:

and of course these ones (F-14A):

f-14a-tomcat-vf-111-sundowners-nl200-161

1195134_-_main.jpg

IMHO they are the most beautiful F-14 liveries ever.

This is available from Furball Decals in their "Sundowners Anthology", and is sized for the Tamiya kit:

Markus

Wasn't able to attach the photo, but there's a photo of a VF-213 jet in overall gray with black anti-glare panel flying over the Grand Canyon that looks like a pretty cool scheme.

On 5/28/2018 at 6:46 PM, Whiskey said:

I'd like to see this bad boy as it seems no one has touched this scheme for the Tamiya kit. F-14A-85, VF-213 NH213, BuNo 159625

HAS09814-2.jpg?1398064905

Zotz decals did it in 1/32 though.

I've always wondered about that scheme. I've since learned that it flew once in that scheme and was then turned into a display aircraft. It technically wasn't an "operational" scheme.

Desert Storm and mid-90's era VF-213 would be cool to see.

Gee, Brian. I guess you better stay in business and keep making decals.

Oh absolutely! Mid 80's would be great too 😉

Although I do remember seeing a bird in the 90s scheme, the sheet featured the Vf-41 Su killer, VF-84 201 and it's final incarnation as a VF-213 before being tragically lost. SB decals maybe?

Edited by Keroburner89
1 hour ago, Keroburner89 said:

Although I do remember seeing a bird in the 90s scheme, the sheet featured the Vf-41 Su killer, VF-84 201 and it's final incarnation as a VF-213 before being tragically lost. SB decals maybe?

Yep, that would be the SB Decals sheet Feisty Felines Part 1 Three Lives of F-14A Tomcat BuNo 160390.  

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/932045-sb-decals-48003-feisty-felines-part-1

This is a tough sheet to find, however...