1/48 Kinetic E-2C Hawkeye VAW-115 Liberty Bells

First model for 2018 off the bench.  This is the 1/48 Kinetic E-2C Hawkeye with Fightertown Decals for a Hummer from VAW-115.  ModelMaster enamels were used, along with a black panel wash from The Detailer.  This kit is by no means an easy build and required a lot of forethought during assembly.  Despite adding an enormous amount of weight, the folded wing option still shifted the CG aft and made this a tailsitter when I installed the radar dish.  This necessitated burying more weight in the nacelles.  The beautiful seamless intakes from Quickboost ended up housing additional weight.  Thank goodness for Steel Beach intake covers!

Aftermarket items include:

Quickboost Propellers

Quickboost Seamless Intakes (not visible)

Eduard color PE interior (most of which can't be seen through the windows)

Eduard PE surface panels

Eduard PE exterior set (some portions)

Steel Beach FOD Covers for engine intake/exhaust

Comments and critiques welcome!

0M3p4gm.jpg

lSUbDXN.jpg

OcWoa8i.jpg

ZKuYREu.jpg

hFil026.jpg

cQI7kG6.jpg

IxcvTqL.jpg

2arQMnO.jpg

SeAZ0hU.jpg

GoVCchX.jpg

As stated before it should be a gloss paint not matt. Also the panel lines on the aircraft are a little to heavy. 25 years working as a mechanic on airplanes if I saw panels like that I would ground the airplane. Also the seam in the ACM scoop on top of the fuselage should have been filled, you put all the time in the model detailing it out but you miss a seam In a scoop.

I feel your pain with the build of the kit, not easy as you've said, however I found once it was done I was pleased to add such an overseen but ensential aircraft to my collection of US Navy aircraft.

I do agree though that the aircraft usually have a high gloss/ gloss finish, a big aircraft to use Wadpole on though.

Nice decal choice as well, congrats.

• 5 months later...
On 5/21/2018 at 10:50 PM, boeing767mech said:

As stated before it should be a gloss paint not matt. Also the panel lines on the aircraft are a little to heavy. 25 years working as a mechanic on airplanes if I saw panels like that I would ground the airplane. Also the seam in the ACM scoop on top of the fuselage should have been filled, you put all the time in the model detailing it out but you miss a seam In a scoop.

Seems a bit harsh.  Seamlines yes could be better but the panel lines are hardly the builders fault, just how the kit is moulded.  I too know that panel lines aren’t like that on real aircraft but this is scale modelling, not rebuilding the real thing.

lockheed2004, good work.

Edited by Andrew Maverick Taylor