Decals for the Tamiya F-14A OOB

I posed this question on the thread about Fightertown Decals and the F-14, but it was somewhat off-topic and didn't get answered.

I'd like to build the Tamiya F-14A without modifications. I'd much appreciate knowing if there are any aftermarket decal options for such a build. I'm not primarily a jet guy, I don't have a large stash of recent F-14 decal sheets, and I don't want to spend haphazardly on a bunch of decals only to find they're not appropriate for the production blocks covered in the kit.

Thanks!

Pip

Edited by seawinder

How accurate do you want to be? With the old wheels and no tail braces, you are limited to post original boat tail / 7 vent gun grills and pre 1978. Though in some airframe specific cases, you could go as late as 1981. If you don't need the tail/strake decals to fit exactly then there's a HUGE amount of decals from dozens of producers going back to the early days of Microscale. If you want more recent AM decals, then you are somewhat more limited. 

Hey Brian, 

Can you add some clarification for me? When it comes to the design of the older decals for the tail/strake areas, how much of a issue is it really? I mean is it super noticeable or can a really nice build still be achieved without worrying about it? I’ve got tons of sheets (yours included👍) and I’m sure I’m not the only one that doesn’t want to go through the labors of reaquiring them just for this evening reasons.

4 hours ago, viper730 said:

Furball has a Sheet It is USN F-14 Tomcats Colors & Markings Part III #48010 and it's designed to fit the Tamiya Kit

Yes, I found that, thanks. It appears to have one option that works with the two possible production blocks OOB.

3 hours ago, Brian P: Fightertown Decals said:

How accurate do you want to be? With the old wheels and no tail braces, you are limited to post original boat tail / 7 vent gun grills and pre 1978. Though in some airframe specific cases, you could go as late as 1981. If you don't need the tail/strake decals to fit exactly then there's a HUGE amount of decals from dozens of producers going back to the early days of Microscale. If you want more recent AM decals, then you are somewhat more limited. 

Thanks, Brian. Since I probably won't build more than one or two Tomcats in my lifetime, I guess I'd like it to be at least reasonably accurate. Perhaps I need to consider some AM wheels and the tail braces to widen my choices. I've got Darren Roberts' list of block features, but it doesn't deal with wheels or tail braces. Guess I've got some poking around ahead of me.

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 9:50 AM, Brian P: Fightertown Decals said:

Slightly off the OP request, but if someone were to do the original markings for VF-213 circa 1976-78

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8404/8702015179_8066d66e70_b.jpg 8702015179_8066d66e70_b.jpg

and VF-211 from the same period

8249764857_9e24bbd9f7_b.jpg%20

AND have them sized for the Tamiya F-14A kit, then they could be applied to the existing kit without any mods.  

The trouble is that even though Microscale/Superscale did these markings over 3 decades ago, who knows if they even come close to fitting key areas like the ventral fins, the rudders, and canopy rails of the Tamiya kit?

If someone produced them to fit the Tamiya kit, I'd definitely down for them!

Edited by John B