Hey Shadrik

I saw this in the AMK thread and think it is great. I also see that you are not planning on selling prints of it. Too bad. If you had a print shop do some high res 11"x17" prints I am sure you would sell lots.

Also, those close ups are amazing. I have a small question though. I see you have shadows on the pitot tubes but none on the AOA probe. Is that still to come? Also you say you have to still have to add the vent in front of th canopy. What about the YAW string? Unless I am mistaken and the F-14D does not use one? I wonder if you would be able to see it anyway as it would be straight back.

10 hours ago, skyhawk174 said:

Hey Shadrik

I saw this in the AMK thread and think it is great. I also see that you are not planning on selling prints of it. Too bad. If you had a print shop do some high res 11"x17" prints I am sure you would sell lots.

Also, those close ups are amazing. I have a small question though. I see you have shadows on the pitot tubes but none on the AOA probe. Is that still to come? Also you say you have to still have to add the vent in front of th canopy. What about the YAW string? Unless I am mistaken and the F-14D does not use one? I wonder if you would be able to see it anyway as it would be straight back.

Hello, thank you.

The string and vent have been added, F-14Ds seem to have had the string aswell. I just didn't have time yet to upload the new files. And you are absolutely right, that missing shadow is an oversight of mine, I'll fix that.

Seems like final checking my own work is not exactely my strong suit 😕

As far as prints go, I am not opposed to that, it's just that I have heard a couple of bad stories in regards to the rights of the aircraft itself. Maybe I should just contact northrop-grumman and simply ask them what's what.

Edited by Shadrik

I do proof reading for a hobby magazine so maybe that helps me see things? They say you can't proof your own work but I would think art is a totally different beast. Also, since we are talking about the AOA probe, do you think it is not a touch too long? Sorry for all the criticism but I am just amazed at your work and wish it was something I could do.

About that yaw string, I did go have a look at some pictures of F-14Ds and yes they still have that. However would you even see it in your drawing since it would be so small and aligned with the centre line?

Hmm contacting Northrop Grumman will probably open up a whole can of worms since now you will be making money with their name?  Maybe you are right and just keep it as fan art.

I think I should make lists while working. The missing stuff crossed my mind while working on it and I just thought I'd do it later. And then I forgot. Lists will help 🙂

No apologies necessary, I am really happy about all feeedback.

The string would probably be hard to see, but I think it is acceptable to exagerate it a bit so it is visible.

I'll have to do some research into the legal side but I'm sure it won't be easy to understand. I do not envy lawyers one bit.

So thanks to people here and on Britmodeller I got a few pointers and tips.

I added the vent and string in front of the canopy. Skyhawk174 spotted the missing shadow on the AOA probe, so I added that and shortened the probe a bit.

Tony Oliver over on britmodeller said that the metal elements on the front fuselage are a bit to copper in tone and he is absolutely right. I toned that down a bit.

Here are two updated images. I think I will call it done now 🙂

42384008871_1b75a3899e_h.jpg

42384009921_747ce3c464_h.jpg

Edited by Shadrik
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow that STILL looks amazing. Love your work Shadrik. You are a talented artist. I also forgot to mention taht I also love the way you have drawn the pilots so that they are not simply looking straight ahead. Very animated.

Now if does not get your juices flowing to go start a Tomcat model I would be amazed.

• 1 year later...