1/48 Kitty Hawk UH-1V "Flatiron"

Well, after seeing all the hoopla over the new KH Huey, I decided to jump in the water by building the white Flatiron bird from Ft. Rucker. I think the white Huey is cool looking, so I decided to build it.

Here she is:

42246214992_567be8b2d3_c.jpg

Pic courtesy on Ray.

Here's not much of a beginning. The Werner Wings bulkheads are tricky to get squared up. 

42292837931_feb4a95474_c.jpg

I also started modifying the pilot's seats as the Flatiron birds did not have the armor wings on the seats.

41391343865_3472137324_c.jpg

That's all for now!

Tim

Edited by hawkwrench

So tonight, I tried gluing the resin bulkheads from Werners Wings onto the floor and it turned out disastrous. Floyd's parts are always good to go, so I'm sure it was my lack of modeling time and fat fingers, so I ended up using the kit parts after all.

27506632387_2dd5c84b88_c.jpg

Also, all the Hueys I've seen including the Flatiron helos have 2 seat legs on each gunner seat. I drilled out 2 new holes and used .035 evergreen rod to create the new legs about 6mm long measured from the floor up.

27506631437_e1dae98194_c.jpg

Here's a pic of the approximate location for the new leg holes.

41474342605_6f3db3961a_c.jpg

More later!

Tim

Edited by hawkwrench

I'm calling it a night. Here's my progress so far. The pilot's seats are not glued in. Next time, I'll start the painting.

28504572118_8c51d58f3d_c.jpg

Also, I filled in the 3 seat leg support holes with putty. My Flatiron bird didn't have those seats installed.

Comments and critique welcome!

Tim

Edited by hawkwrench
On 5/27/2018 at 3:50 PM, Rotorman said:

Balancing newly glued cockpit on Tamiya glue bottle cap....thats bold.

Waiting on paint then.

I don't have a fancy shmancy photo booth yet, so I had to use the next good thing! Lol

I'm buying a photo booth off Amazon next week, so hopefully my pics look a little better. Until a buy a digital camera, that is!

Tim

Edited by hawkwrench

Thanks Ray. I know it was my fault and not Floyd's resin parts. I want to make that clear for all to see. Werner's Wings detail sets have always been great sets. 

Floyd and others put alot of time and effort into making really good aftermarket detail sets and decals.

If I could have more bench time, I know that wouldn't have happened!

Tim